PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Monk Magic Item

Dralnu
2015-08-17, 03:53 PM
I'm running a campaign for 2 PCs: a TWF Champion Fighter and a Shadow Monk. They're level 13 at the moment.

It's pretty obvious at this point that the monk is lagging behind in damage significantly. He has cool things to do both outside and inside combat, but when it comes down to smacking things, the Fighter is dishing out double the damage. The monk is also behind in two magic items (I let them roll on an appropriate random DMG table for loot).

So I'd like to insert a magic item specifically for the monk to find next session. Its purpose is to aid in battle, not in utility, which he already is good on. I'm thinking about an item that adds +1 to attack/dmg of unarmed strikes, plus possibly something else. Example:

Monk Item
- Unarmed strikes gain a +1 bonus to attack and damage rolls.
- While attuned to this item, you gain 2 ki points.
- You may spend 2 ki points as a free action to sheathe your fists in flame. Until the start of your next turn, your unarmed strikes deal a bonus 1d6 fire damage.

Is that good? What should the fluff of this item be?

DracoKnight
2015-08-17, 04:37 PM
I'm running a campaign for 2 PCs: a TWF Champion Fighter and a Shadow Monk. They're level 13 at the moment.

It's pretty obvious at this point that the monk is lagging behind in damage significantly. He has cool things to do both outside and inside combat, but when it comes down to smacking things, the Fighter is dishing out double the damage. The monk is also behind in two magic items (I let them roll on an appropriate random DMG table for loot).

So I'd like to insert a magic item specifically for the monk to find next session. Its purpose is to aid in battle, not in utility, which he already is good on. I'm thinking about an item that adds +1 to attack/dmg of unarmed strikes, plus possibly something else. Example:

Monk Item
- Unarmed strikes gain a +1 bonus to attack and damage rolls.
- While attuned to this item, you gain 2 ki points.
- You may spend 2 ki points as a free action to sheathe your fists in flame. Until the start of your next turn, your unarmed strikes deal a bonus 1d6 fire damage.

Is that good? What should the fluff of this item be?

I would argue that it does additional fire damage equal to your martial arts die, and the effect would last for 1 minute.

The fluff of the item:

This item was crafted by an ancient elvish monk. When he crafted these fire-proof cloth wraps, he imbued them with magic which enhances the innate abilities of any monk who is to wear them. When he died, the item was thought to have been lost to history, but in reality it has been handed down by monks who follow his philosophies.

Now just have your party meet an aged monk who is dying, and needs to pass this sacred treasure down to the next generation of monastics.

EDIT: The fluff of this item would make it Legendary, and I think that the mechanics would too, if you use my edits to the fire damage. I think it's okay for players to have legendary items at lower levels, so long as they find them, and don't start off with them.

Dralnu
2015-08-21, 10:21 AM
I love the idea of making this legendary. The monk is level 13 so its about time he got something neat.

For the record, the monk has two other magic items: a helm of telepathy (random magic item table) and a custom "book of shadows" from a past life he doesn't remember, where he was a powerful and very evil warlock. The book only has two spells so far: charm person and vampiric touch. I plan to add more as the story progresses.

The champion fighter has three magic items: full plate that keeps the wearer at a comfortable temperature (endure elements), a +1 trident (random roll), and a custom magic item that lets him once a day transform into a lightning bolt and reappear at the bolts end.

Anyhoo.. The monk weapon will be legendary. +1 atk/dmg is locked in, possibly even +2. Extra ki should happen too. The optional +fire damage I figured might be a cool nod to street fighter, which me and the player enjoy (shoryuken!). 2 ki to last the entire fight though? And doesn't he have like 1d10 fists? Might be too much?

Should this item be sentient?

Also remembered something. They are allies with a githzerai monk. They will meet him again next session in Sigil where they will discuss plans. That may be an appropriate time to get it. Alternatively, introduce bad guy monk, then they get the item from him when defeated.

Hard to type on mobile. Gears are spinning though.

Fyndhal
2015-08-21, 03:44 PM
The item described above is neat...but for a Shadow Monk, "Fire" might not fit. Too visibile. Make it Cold or Necrotic.

DracoKnight
2015-08-21, 04:35 PM
I love the idea of making this legendary. The monk is level 13 so its about time he got something neat.

For the record, the monk has two other magic items: a helm of telepathy (random magic item table) and a custom "book of shadows" from a past life he doesn't remember, where he was a powerful and very evil warlock. The book only has two spells so far: charm person and vampiric touch. I plan to add more as the story progresses.

The champion fighter has three magic items: full plate that keeps the wearer at a comfortable temperature (endure elements), a +1 trident (random roll), and a custom magic item that lets him once a day transform into a lightning bolt and reappear at the bolts end.

Anyhoo.. The monk weapon will be legendary. +1 atk/dmg is locked in, possibly even +2. Extra ki should happen too. The optional +fire damage I figured might be a cool nod to street fighter, which me and the player enjoy (shoryuken!). 2 ki to last the entire fight though? And doesn't he have like 1d10 fists? Might be too much?

Should this item be sentient?

Also remembered something. They are allies with a githzerai monk. They will meet him again next session in Sigil where they will discuss plans. That may be an appropriate time to get it. Alternatively, introduce bad guy monk, then they get the item from him when defeated.

Hard to type on mobile. Gears are spinning though.

(Emphasis Mine)

It's a legendary magic item. It's supposed to be super-powerful. Make it require attunement, and you should be fine :)
And there's only one of them, right? I would say that it's so powerful because the Artificer Monk that built it poured so much of his power into the item that it was his magnum opus, and his final work.