PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Spell Combos

2015-08-17, 04:26 PM
Hello! So, this past Sunday, I was playing with my IRL group, and we came across a powerful combo our Cleric and Druid accidentally stumbled onto: Druid uses "Conjure Animals" to summon 8 CR 1/4 creatures, and the Cleric activates Crusader's Mantle. The result was turning a deadly encounter into a cakewalk.

Anyway, I just thought I'd share this combo, and ask if anybody else had any interesting spell combos they'd like to share. Please and thank you!

MaxWilson
2015-08-17, 04:40 PM
Hello! So, this past Sunday, I was playing with my IRL group, and we came across a powerful combo our Cleric and Druid accidentally stumbled onto: Druid uses "Conjure Animals" to summon 8 CR 1/4 creatures, and the Cleric activates Crusader's Mantle. The result was turning a deadly encounter into a cakewalk.

Anyway, I just thought I'd share this combo, and ask if anybody else had any interesting spell combos they'd like to share. Please and thank you!

Conjure Animals (Giant Poisonous Snake/blindsight) + Darkness = free advantage to attack, good AC, disadvantage to attackers

Conjure (Earth) Elemental (tremorsense, immune to poison) + Stinking Cloud = advantage to attack, disadvantage to attackers + required Con save to act every round

Conjure Air Elemental + Mage Armor = AC 18 elementals

Wall of Fire + (Repelling) Eldritch Blast = d10 + 5d8 + CHA damage on a hit.

Spike Growth + (Repelling) Eldritch Blast = d10 + 4d4 + CHA damage on a hit, another 4d4 when they come back

Feeblemind + Planar Binding = much more likely to bind successfully = cheaper binding, fewer failures

Polymorph + Awaken = charm an enemy for 30 days? (DM interpretation needed)

True Polymorph + Magic Jar = make yourself a werebear suit

Dimension Door (360' straight up) + Feather Fall = keeps you out of melee almost as well as no-concentration flying for outdoor fights

bardo
2015-08-17, 05:05 PM
Polymorph + Awaken = charm an enemy for 30 days? (DM interpretation needed)

I think the DM will interpret Polymorph duration is 1 hour. Awaken casting time is 8 hours. Polymorph breaks while you're only starting to cast Awaken. Something bad happens to you.

Bardo

MaxWilson
2015-08-17, 05:20 PM
I think the DM will interpret Polymorph duration is 1 hour. Awaken casting time is 8 hours. Polymorph breaks while you're only starting to cast Awaken. Something bad happens to you.

Bardo

According to the Awaken spell description, you can start casting Awaken before the beast shows up. I.e. you Polymorph the target 7.5 hours into the Awaken casting.

Ralanr
2015-08-17, 05:30 PM
Armor of Agythis+fireshield+forsight+level 10 fiend warlock feature for psych resistance+greatsword+bear totem rage= Reaver.

Technically that's three spells.

I'd also imagine any water spell+shocking grasp. But that's dm fiat.

Ray of frost+warlock repelling eldrich blast= Good luck getting up to us.

bardo
2015-08-17, 05:53 PM
According to the Awaken spell description, you can start casting Awaken before the beast shows up. I.e. you Polymorph the target 7.5 hours into the Awaken casting.

Okay. Only need to touch the beast at the end of the 8 hours. Some amazing timing allows the fight to start just as the Druid is wrapping up Awaken. During the fight someone Polymorphs BBEG into a sheep. Druid touches it, tells it its name is Dolly. Dolly is doubtful, because it gets to keep its alignment and personality through the Polymorph and Awaken, but is charmed by the druid nonetheless.

59 minutes later Polymorph breaks, Dolly turns back into BBEG who isn't charmed any more because the charmed condition doesn't ride on either personality or alignment (also, he's no longer "an awakened plant or beast" as the Awaken spell states).

Maybe I'm missing something. Looks like 4th level slot, a 5th level slot, and 1000gp, for a good laugh.

Bardo

MaxWilson
2015-08-17, 06:34 PM
59 minutes later Polymorph breaks, Dolly turns back into BBEG who isn't charmed any more because the charmed condition doesn't ride on either personality or alignment (also, he's no longer "an awakened plant or beast" as the Awaken spell states).

Maybe I'm missing something. Looks like 4th level slot, a 5th level slot, and 1000gp, for a good laugh.

I don't see anything that makes the charm end just because the target changes forms. That would be like Hold Person ending just because someone Polymorphs the victim into a dog. But hey, that's why some DM interpretation is required--some DMs might want to play it that way. Obviously you test this out scientifically on a hobgoblin or something before you try it on a BBEG: better not to be surprised by the way the spells interact.

If it turns out that this combo doesn't work, then you test what happens when you Polymorph someone under Magic Jar. Does it automatically break the spell? Keep experimenting as necessary.

Vortling
2015-08-17, 10:06 PM
Fog Cloud + Find Familiar (Bat) + Any touch spell (Shocking Grasp is especially nice to let your bat move in and out of melee range without AoO) = Similar in effect to the Conjure Animals + Darkness but you can pull it off by yourself as a 1st level wizard provided you have the funds for Find Familiar.

PoeticDwarf
2015-08-18, 01:56 AM

I'm in swamp, so my DM allows me to make crocodills as ranger with conjure animals. The restraining with a spell like cloud of daggers, or the cantrip conjure bonfire. Would make the restraining effect even stronger.

Gwendol
2015-08-18, 02:09 AM
Flaming sphere - pyrotechnics

Falling Icicle
2015-08-18, 03:35 AM
Evard's Black Tentacles + Grease. Good luck trying to escape from that slimy mess. It also deals an extra 1d6 humiliation damage to a creature's ego.

Disguise Self + Charm Person/Friends. The creature will realize it's been had when the spell wears off, but it won't know it was you. If you're really feeling mischievous, disguise yourself as someone you despise and go around charming important people. Then grab some popcorn, kick back and enjoy the ensuing witch hunt.

HoarsHalberd
2015-08-18, 05:49 AM
Evard's Black Tentacles + Grease. Good luck trying to escape from that slimy mess. It also deals an extra 1d6 humiliation damage to a creature's ego.

Insert obligatory reference to a Japanese form of speciality entertainment.

Animate Dead and Crusader's Mantle: Obviously massive increase in DPR, but the worst part is, you now have radiant infused skeletons, which probably caused enough psychic damage to the lawful good gods to permanently upset the balance of the pantheon.

MaxWilson
2015-08-18, 10:04 AM
Disguise Self + Charm Person/Friends. The creature will realize it's been had when the spell wears off, but it won't know it was you. If you're really feeling mischievous, disguise yourself as someone you despise and go around charming important people. Then grab some popcorn, kick back and enjoy the ensuing witch hunt.

You know, you don't actually need the Friends cantrip to turn someone hostile. You could just punch him in the nose.

2015-08-18, 10:58 AM
You know, you don't actually need the Friends cantrip to turn someone hostile. You could just punch him in the nose.

Half the point of having ultimate cosmic power is using it even when you don't need it. Beyond that, punching somebody in the nose doesn't guarantee that they'll hate you; they might believe they deserve it, or they're masochistic. When "Friends" wears off, it guarantees that they'll be forced to hate you afterward.

Ralanr
2015-08-18, 11:00 AM
Half the point of having ultimate cosmic power is using it even when you don't need it. Beyond that, punching somebody in the nose doesn't guarantee that they'll hate you; they might believe they deserve it, or they're masochistic. When "Friends" wears off, it guarantees that they'll be forced to hate you afterward.

...what? I thought it was just implied they'd hate you because they realize you used magic on them.

Friends doesn't force them to hate you, hatred is just expected cause few people like being magically manipulated.

bardo
2015-08-18, 11:08 AM
Evard's Black Tentacles + Grease.
Disguise Self + Charm Person/Friends.

Thank you for those. Very devious.

...what? I thought it was just implied they'd hate you because they realize you used magic on them. Friends doesn't force them to hate you, hatred is just expected cause few people like being magically manipulated.

They become hostile (possibly violent) towards you when the spell ends. It's in the spell description.

Bardo.

Ralanr
2015-08-18, 11:25 AM
Thank you for those. Very devious.

They become hostile (possibly violent) towards you when the spell ends. It's in the spell description.

Bardo.

So...in theory it could make a pacifist violent (as in one who doesn't like violence but is not 100% opposed to it).

That's really stupid.

Xetheral
2015-08-18, 11:26 AM
This one is highly niche, but, on a spellcaster that is also a 5th level Monk:

Haste + spell that targets Str or Dex

The combo works as follows:

Haste Action: Attack Action (one attack) (use Stunning Strike on a hit)
Bonus Action: Flurry of Blows (use Stunning Strike on any hits if target isn't yet stunned)
Action: Cast, e.g., Disintegrate (stunned characters autofail the dex save)

Basically, in this combo Haste enables you to use Flurry of Blows while casting a leveled spell, which then permits you to replace the Str or Dex saving throw from the spell with up to three Con saving throws from Stunning Strike.

JoeJ
2015-08-18, 11:44 AM

I think that might also do psychic damage to anybody who sees it. Possibly permanent, since what has been seen can't be unseen.

2015-08-18, 11:51 AM
I think that might also do psychic damage to anybody who sees it. Possibly permanent, since what has been seen can't be unseen.

Especially when combined with Friends on the target; they'll love it during the process, and hate it afterward.

Ralanr
2015-08-18, 11:53 AM
Especially when combined with Friends on the target; they'll love it during the process, and hate it afterward.

I think friends ends immediately when you take hostile action towards the target.

2015-08-18, 11:56 AM
I think friends ends immediately when you take hostile action towards the target.

That's why you have somebody else cast it after the other spells are already in place. Because clearly the only way something this screwed up should be possible is through the power of teamwork.

iTreeby
2015-08-18, 12:18 PM
So...in theory it could make a pacifist violent (as in one who doesn't like violence but is not 100% opposed to it).

That's really stupid.

"A creature prone to violence might attack you. Another creature might seek retribution in other ways (at the DM’s discretion),
depending on the nature of your interaction with it."

personally i would say that most people are nonviolent which i think makes the combo less effective and more interesting.

Ralanr
2015-08-18, 01:17 PM
"A creature prone to violence might attack you. Another creature might seek retribution in other ways (at the DM’s discretion),
depending on the nature of your interaction with it."

personally i would say that most people are nonviolent which i think makes the combo less effective and more interesting.

Thanks for the spell description.

HoarsHalberd
2015-08-18, 03:11 PM

But it's great for political machinations. Turn into someone of moderate political power, cast Friends on the guard captain, have a polite conversation with him, then have him try to assault you. That's just an example, but you can easily sow chaos and divide loyalties using it.

Princess
2015-08-18, 04:32 PM

Punching someone in the nose won't get you money or favors.

Disguise Self + Friends = Get a bunch of favors and wrack up a ton of IOU's as you reap as many benefits of being disguised as an enemy while wracking up a huge debt on their behalf. You get all the benefits of Friends while transferring the downsides. Bonus points if you promise all sorts of things to important people while disguised.

Ralanr
2015-08-18, 05:03 PM
Punching someone in the nose won't get you money or favors.

Only if you forget to roll intimidate.

Xetheral
2015-08-18, 05:52 PM

Except that then, from the perspective of any bystanders, you're the aggressor and thus vulnerable to charges of assault/brawling/breaking the king's peace. With the Friends cantrip, your target is the aggressor unless he can somehow prove that you used mental manipulation on him to turn him hostile. Even then one would have an argument that even though the spell forced the target to be hostile, it didn't force him to be violent.

I still find it incredibly strange that the Friends cantrip makes the target hostile as part of the spell effect rather than simply as a probable consequence. It also oddly isn't Intelligence-limited: somehow the spell imparts to (e.g.) a squirrel the knowledge that you used magic to influence its mood. That's an awfully sophisticated concept for a squirrel.

JoeJ
2015-08-18, 06:42 PM
Except that then, from the perspective of any bystanders, you're the aggressor and thus vulnerable to charges of assault/brawling/breaking the king's peace. With the Friends cantrip, your target is the aggressor unless he can somehow prove that you used mental manipulation on him to turn him hostile. Even then one would have an argument that even though the spell forced the target to be hostile, it didn't force him to be violent.

That might be the case in a world where hardly anybody except PCs ever deals with magic. If it's even a little more common than that, the bystanders who saw you waving your hands around and fiddling with your focus/pouch will probably assume you cast some sort of spell that made the target suddenly become aggressive.

Xetheral
2015-08-18, 06:47 PM
That might be the case in a world where hardly anybody except PCs ever deals with magic. If it's even a little more common than that, the bystanders who saw you waving your hands around and fiddling with your focus/pouch will probably assume you cast some sort of spell that made the target suddenly become aggressive.

The spell has a duration of a full minute. One can often cast it out of sight and then move closer to begin the interaction.

Safety Sword
2015-08-18, 06:51 PM
... they'll love it during the process, and hate it afterward.

I knew some girls like that in high school.

So it's pretty much the Conjure Terrifying Adolescent Memory spell.

JoeJ
2015-08-18, 07:27 PM
The spell has a duration of a full minute. One can often cast it out of sight and then move closer to begin the interaction.

Good point, if you're in a situation where that's practical. That's also a good argument why you shouldn't be able to recast it and delay the hostility; some PCs would just keep it going all day long.

DemonSlayer6
2015-08-18, 09:02 PM

Almost as good is Hunger of Hadar plus Darkness. And if they somehow escape, then a prepared Thunderwave just pushes them back in. That day, the Wizard 5 proved to the Warlock 8 that sometimes level doesn't matter if you put some brains into the problem, and it was glorious.

Also, we call that Shame damage in my campaign. And it has a natural affinity towards all sober monks in my campaign. Lol

Citan
2015-08-19, 10:29 AM
An obvious spell combo that probably everyone is aware about but... :)
Elemental Bane + Absorb Elements + cantrip or lvl 1 spell.
Cast Elemental Bane on an enemy.
Get hit by same kind of elemental damage and cast Absorb Elements of the desired lvl.
Land your powerful elemental melee attack.

Clearly a basic tactic, but quoted here because nice thing is that you can do it all by yourself (cast a cantrip/lvl 1 spell on yourself, you only take like 1d6 damage to get from 1d6 to 9d6 extra damage so it's worth it in most cases).

Elemental Bane takes effect only once per turn though, so it really shines only if you have several people able to deal elemental attacks. :)
It also works with fire/thunder Smite spells and Elemental Weapon by the way. :)

To talk of something very different, Contagion is the best debuff spell to apply, since it can either greatly increase all WIS-saving throws spells or double every damage. :)
On the flip side, you can use Bestow Curse to give disadvantage on CON saving throws to then enable Contagion.