PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Finishing touches on a Brutal Disruptor build. (Pathfinder)

Unbodied
2015-08-17, 05:24 PM
My groups next pathfinder session is finally on the horizon so I want to make sure that my Brutal Disruptor character is ready before then. I would appreciate thoughts on my current build, both optimization wise and thematically. I want to make sure the character is well built, fun to play and has an interesting personality. I can do the last part myself for the most part once the build is finished, I already have a rough idea for what I want him to be like but I want to finish the mechanical aspects first since those say something about the character. For example I'm not sure if I want to use a racial ability that grants a bonus against fear or an alternate racial ability that gives a bonus on craft or proffesion checks. The former would mean he's more of a standard fearless warrior type while the latter could mean he's a trikster trap making type, someone with a keen interest in weapons or just someone who spent time working on a proffesion in his youth. I'm going for a viking warrior theme with this character with the pattern abilities of the Cryptic being similar to how the Norns of Norse mythology weave fate and how symbols like Runes can have power. I want the character to be a warrior mage type with emphasis on the combat and with some trickery/guile in the form of expertise with constructing and disabling both mundane and magical/psionic traps. The end goal is to achieve immortality through a Supreme Insight.

Anyway current build looks like this:

Class: Cryptic (Brutal Disruptor) level 10
Race: Forgeborn

Attributes:

Strength 14+2(race)-6(age)=10
Dexterity 12-6(age)=6
Constitution 12-6(age)=6
Intelligence 17+2(race)+2(levels)+3(age)=24
Wisdom 7+3(age)=10
Charisma 7-4(race)+3(age)=6

Racial Traits: Half Construct, Source Crystal, Slow and Steady, Natural Armor +1, Memory Matrix +2 Craft: Traps (or some other craft/proffesion/knowledge skill) or Fearless +2 vs Fear effects, Naturally Psionic, Psionic Aptitude.

Traits:
Fate's Favoured; +1 on luck bonuses (faith)
Trap Finder; Disable Device as a class skill and the ability to disable magic traps with Disable Device (campaign)
Bruising Intellect; use Intelligence on Intimidate checks (social)
Armor Master; reduce Armor Check Penalties by 1 (regional)

Nearsighted; suck at ranged attacks (Major Drawback)

Skill Rank distribution:
Acrobatics 10
Appraise 1
Autohypnosis 5
Climb 1
Disable Device 10
Escape Artist 2
Intimidate 10
Linguistics 1
Perception 10
Spellcraft 1
Stealth 5
Survival 1
Swim 1
Knowledge arcana 1
Knowledge dungeons 5
Knowledge engineering 10
Knowledge geography 1
Knowledge history 5 (fits the character's age)
Knowledge local 2
Knowledge nature 5
Knowledge nobility 2
Knowledge planes 2
Knowledge psionic 5
Knowledge religion 2
Craft: Traps 10
Craft weapons 1?
Craft armor 1?

Insights:
Discerning Pattern, Efficient Trapsmith, Bleeding Pattern, Trap Spotter(depends on how the GM wants to handle traps), Evasion.

Feats:
Scribe Scroll(bonus)/Craft Wondrous Item(retrain?), Improved Disruption, One Pattern, Power Attack(?)/Craft Wondrous Item?, Psicrystal Affinity/Psionic Body(?), Psicrystal Containment/Deep Focus(?)

Powers:
0-th: Detect Psionics, Fortify Lesser
1-st: Vigor, Inevitable Strike, Metamorphosis minor, (mind stone: hidden pocket/ absorb weapon, mind stone: kinetic legerdemain?)
2-nd: Defy Gravity/Wall Walker(?), Detect Hostile Intent/Psionic Scent(?), Distracting Strikes/Hustle(research -2000gp)
3-rd: Greater Concealing Amorpha, Ectoplasmic Graphnel/Psionic Lions Charge (research -3000gp), Graft Armor(research -3000gp)
4th: Vanishing Strike, (going to research Battle Transformation later for the luck bonus)

Wealth by Level 62 000 gp
- Equipment:
Mithral/Noqual Fullplate +1 (comfort) 16500/24500 gp
Longspear +1 2005 gp
Dagger 2 gp
Masterwork Thieves Tools 100 gp
Masterwork Artisan's Tools 55 gp
Jingasa of the Fortunate Soldier 5000 gp
=46 662 gp

(going to get a Mantle of Immortality later)

One thing I want to know is how useful are Psionic Tattoos? Because I'm seriously tempted to have retrained Scribe Scroll into Craft Magic Arms and Armor so that my armor set will be cheaper or Craft Wondrous Item so that I can afford most of the nifty stuff I want before the campaign starts like implanted Cracked Crimson Spheres, Belt of Physical Perfection, Stone of Good Luck or Bracers of Disruption.

Edit:
Another thing I want some advice on. Should I spend my Favored Class Bonus on getting 1pp per level or on increasing my Altered Defense damage resistance with 1/4 per level?

Unbodied
2015-08-18, 01:04 AM
No dice? :(

Extra Anchovies
2015-08-18, 01:33 AM
How are you ignoring aging penalties? It's worth noting that ignoring aging penalties to start with a Venerable character is Dragonwrought Kobold-level cheese.

Unbodied
2015-08-18, 03:23 AM
How are you ignoring aging penalties? It's worth noting that ignoring aging penalties to start with a Venerable character is Dragonwrought Kobold-level cheese.
By paying 10 000 gp for a Nacreous Grey Sphere. I kind of need the boost otherwise the character would barely be capable of independent thought. I don't know what DPS were thinking when they gave Forgeborn a -4 on Charisma without giving a similar buff to one of their other stats but it makes it really hard to increase their other stats without becoming a drooling imbecile or a sociopath.

Unbodied
2015-08-18, 07:15 AM
How are you ignoring aging penalties? It's worth noting that ignoring aging penalties to start with a Venerable character is Dragonwrought Kobold-level cheese.How about this then?

Attributes:

Strength 14+2(race)-3(age)=13
Dexterity 12-3(age)=9
Constitution 12-3(age)=9
Intelligence 16+2(race)+2(levels)+2(age)=22
Wisdom 10+2(age)=12
Charisma 7-4(race)+2(age)=5

I take the aging penalties when I start playing and get the party crafter to make me a Mantle of Immortality when we have the time and money. Even with crafting it still costs 25 000 gp to get a Mantle of Immortality and I won't be able to use a Cloak of Resistance. That shouldn't count as cheese.

stack
2015-08-18, 12:57 PM
I like the idea of a level or two of aegis (aberrant) for a pile of tentacle attacks, but that may not fit your concept. Brutal disrupters like having a pile of attacks.

Unbodied
2015-08-18, 04:16 PM
I like the idea of a level or two of aegis (aberrant) for a pile of tentacle attacks, but that may not fit your concept. Brutal disrupters like having a pile of attacks.
I'm aiming for the immortality Supreme Insight so multiclassing isn't an option. Using advanced age categories to make up for the Forgeborn's ****ty attribute spread seemed appropriate because of that.

Any thoughts on the Favored Class Bonus? Bonus PP or slightly more Damage Resistance. Which seems better?

Psionic Tattoos? They don't seem worth the bother though Scribe Scroll is somewhat thematically appropriate but Tattoos aren't. I'm seriously tempted to retrain that Feat.