PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Fighter Martial Archetype: Vector

Submortimer
2015-08-17, 10:29 PM
Vector
"My mind is the weapon; everything else is merely an accessory."
- Unknown

The mind is the greatest weapon ever born of man. This is a fact known by warriors all over the realm, but it is primarily thought of as a euphamisim, an eloquent statement about the ability of the brain to absorb and utilize combat training to great effect. For most, this is true; For warriors of the Vector, this is taken to it's literal extreme. Vector warriors hone their minds to an uncanny sharpness, unlocking the ability to manipulate objects and creatures at a distance. It is in this peculiar form of combat that the vector warrior exclusively trains.

Vector Hand
Starting at level three, You learn to manipulate objects from afar using a set of invisible "limbs" known as Vectors. Superficially, vectors function similarly to the hand conjured by the Mage Hand cantrip and can manipulate objects in the same way, but are different in a nunber of important ways:
- As a bonus action, you may summon as many vectors as you are able. Once summoned, you may maintain these vectors indefinitely; focusing on your vectors is taxing, however, requiring you to maintain concentration.
- Your vectors have a maximum range of 30 feet.
- Your vectors have a total strength score equal to your Intelligence score.
- You may create a number of vectors equal to your proficiency bonus. You may manipulate and move as many objects as you have vectors on your turn, however the total weight is limited by your vector's total strength score. Each vector may be moved a distance equal to the maximum range of your vectors on your turn. You do not need to have your hands free to manipulate objects with your vectors.
- When taking the attack action, you may make any number of your attacks with your vectors. You may directly attack with a vector, dealing 1d4 force damage, or you may wield a melee weapon with your vector. In either case, you add your Intelligence modifier to the attack and damage rolls instead of the usual strength or dexterity modifiers. Splitting your mind to fight in this fashion is more taxing than fighting with weapons in hand: If you are only wielding one weapon with a vector, you may fight with it as well as if it were in your hands, allowing use of all feats and class abilities associated with that weapon; If using two, you may not use feats associated with either weapon; and three or more, you may not use feats OR class abilities with the weapons wielded by your vectors. Wielding multiple weapons with your vectors does not count as Two weapon fighting.

Telekinetic Maneuver
At level three, you learn to use your vectors to perform basic combat maneuver's at range. You may use your vectors to perform the Shove or Grapple actions, using your Int bonus in place of your strength bonus. You may grapple multiple creatures in this fashion, provided you have enough free vectors, though you do not gain the benefits of any feats or class abilities that affect grappling. You must have a vector that is not manipulating an object, creature, or weapon to use this ability. You may use multiple vectors on a single target; for every three vectors you have on a target, your effective size category increases by one step. You are still limited by your vector's total strength score.

Vector Sight
At level seven, you've learned to send out numerous micro vectors to feel the world around you without needed to see. You gain Blindsense out to a distance equal to 1/2 of your vector's maximum range. You lose this sense in any place that your vectors cannot function, such as an anti-magic field.

Improved Vectors
Though constant training with your vectors, you have become much more deadly. At tenth level, your vectors improve in a number of ways:
- The damage of your direct vector attack increases to 1d6, and increases to 1d8 at level 18.
- Your vector's maximum range increases to 50 ft., and continues to increase by 10 ft. at level 12, 14, 16, 18, and 20.
- You add your proficiency bonus to your Intelligence score for the purposes of determining your vector's total strength score.
- When a creature leaves a space adjacent to a space occupied by a weapon you are wielding with a vector, it provokes an opportunity attack from you.
- If you are wielding three or more weapons with your vectors, you may use you bonus action to make an additional attack with one of those weapons.

Vector Movement
At 15th level, you can summon a special set of vectors dedicated towards movement. While your vectors are summoned, you gain a fly speed equal to your movement speed.; however, you must remain close to a solid surface. If at any time you are further than your vector's maximum range from a solid surface, you fall.

Vector Destruction
The ultimate refinement of your Vector Hand ability, you splinter your mind to attack everything you can reach. Starting at 18th level, as an action, you may make a single attack against any creatures within range of your vectors. This attack deals 2d8+int mod force damage to each target. Doing so is highly taxing, requiring you to take a short or long rest before performing this action again.

So, this was something I put together after getting in an argument on reddit with a guy about boosting the power of Mage Hand. I didn't like what he had to say, so now you guys get a new fighter subclass.

Also, I dig the idea of the telekinetic fighter.

Flashy
2015-08-18, 02:19 AM
I totally love this, but I have a few questions about how some of the features work.

You say Vector Hand is identical to Mage Hand apart from the listed exceptions. Does that include duration? Do you have to re-summon them all once a minute?

Can you summon all your vector hands with a single action or do you have to cast it once for each Vector Hand you want to summon? Spending the first six turns of every combat summoning hands in a pretty onerous requirement for a high level Fighter, especially since the hands start to decay on turn ten.

How many commands can you issue the hands at once? You can make attacks with multiple vectors simultaneously, can you grapple with some hands and attack with others? Can you use all six in a given turn if you have four attacking and two grappling?

Submortimer
2015-08-18, 08:31 AM
I totally love this, but I have a few questions about how some of the features work.

You say Vector Hand is identical to Mage Hand apart from the listed exceptions. Does that include duration? Do you have to re-summon them all once a minute?

Can you summon all your vector hands with a single action or do you have to cast it once for each Vector Hand you want to summon? Spending the first six turns of every combat summoning hands in a pretty onerous requirement for a high level Fighter, especially since the hands start to decay on turn ten.

How many commands can you issue the hands at once? You can make attacks with multiple vectors simultaneously, can you grapple with some hands and attack with others? Can you use all six in a given turn if you have four attacking and two grappling?

I made some changes that should answer most of your questions.
- you can summon all your vectors at once, and can maintain them with concentration.
- you can maintain a grapple with two and attack with your other 4, but the action economy is no different than before.
- you can move all of the vectors you have summoned on your turn. Their individual speed is equal to their max range.

Gr7mm Bobb
2015-08-18, 09:00 PM
From left field here's some stuff from Elfen Leid. Legit though, good stuff though. Makes me want to play as a little girl with some (maybe minor) murderous tendencies.

Submortimer
2015-08-18, 09:03 PM
I got inspired to bud a class around mage hand, and EL came right to mind.