PDA

View Full Version : CCham Excerpt: Mythic Exemplar

Fax Celestis
2007-05-07, 02:32 PM
The Mythic Exemplar (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20070504a&page=3) has been excerpted from the upcoming Complete Champion. What do people think?

brian c
2007-05-07, 06:01 PM
At first glance, it seems really complicated. Also, the fluff at least is referring to other stuff in CChamp that wasn't excerpted, so hmph.

Speaking of the CChamp excerpt...

Wooden Blight: Subject turns to wood and takes 1d4/round Dex damage, becoming a wooden statue at 0 Dex.

4th 6th level Druid spell. Once the full rules come out, this had better allow a save, or else it's the slower-acting Druid version of Shivering Touch.

Edit: whoops, level 6 not 4. Okay, I suppose that's a bit more balanced

Macrovore
2007-05-07, 06:48 PM
and are there not any sor/wiz spells at all? now I don't want this book as much as I did before.

brian c
2007-05-07, 07:12 PM
and are there not any sor/wiz spells at all? now I don't want this book as much as I did before.

Um... it's called Complete Champion, for holy warrior-types. Just as there are two Completes for arcane magic, Complete Arcane and Complete Mage, now there are two for divine magic.

Person_Man
2007-05-08, 10:58 AM
I'm glad to see the Marshal (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20030906b) get some love. I've always thought it was a great idea for a class, but there's really no reason to take levels in it beyond 4th.

Since it grants the Bard's Inspiration ability, it opens the door to several Bard PrC, without having to take levels in Bard. For example, Marshal/Mythic Exemplar/War Chanter would be quite powerful in the right group.

Also, since it grants d8 hit points, 7/10 BAB, 4 Skill points per level from an excellent list (make your own!), and with Ktolemagne, 8/10 spellcaster progression, it makes for some interesting Gish options.

Starsinger
2007-05-08, 11:03 AM
Ktolemagne irritates me because he's for wizards only, and doesn't benefit sorcerers that much. Of course, there's nothing stopping a sorcerer from taking Reikhardt, the Marshal one, and taking the nice helpful abilities and a charisma boost.

Actually, this ability
Reikhardt: You gain +1 level of a class-based extraordinary ability to grant bonuses to allies (such as a marshal's auras). can that be used to enhance the level of inspire courage that Reikhardt grants at a lower level?

Telonius
2007-05-08, 12:09 PM
Looks ... powerful. Loss of two caster levels for spellcasters, but for an ability boost of +2 at the end? Sounds like it's worth it to me. Easy entry requirements, entry at 6th level for pretty much all classes (as far as I can tell).

Fax Celestis
2007-05-08, 12:23 PM
Looks ... powerful. Loss of two caster levels for spellcasters, but for an ability boost of +2 at the end? Sounds like it's worth it to me. Easy entry requirements, entry at 6th level for pretty much all classes (as far as I can tell).

It may be powerful, but it's powerful for pretty much everybody.

jameswilliamogle
2007-05-08, 12:51 PM
The class seems like a nice mid-power PrC addition to a lot of types. The Kt??? version has a pretty powerful capping ability, which I'm not sure how it works: the caster can spontaneously convert prep'd spells to divine spells scribed in their spellbook? You'd have to get an archivist to put divine spells in there, or I don't understand how to write spells into spellbooks (can a wizard put a divine spell in their spellbook, but never cast it, as is???).

The Marshall bonuses seem really nice. A Marshall 3 / Bard 1 / Mystic E 10 would get 7th level casting and 10th level Marshall auras, which seems kind of nice (I think the Marshall needs all the love it can get).

SpiderBrigade
2007-05-08, 01:07 PM
jameswilliamogle, that capstone ability lets you convert prep'd spells to divination spells in your book, not divine spells. Big difference :smallbiggrin:

goat
2007-05-08, 01:50 PM
The 4+Int skill points and skill restrictions will kill a skill-monkey rogue.

Annarrkkii
2007-05-08, 09:05 PM
I like it. At first read, it doesn't looked tweaked, there's no way to jerk it for full casting progression, and it is nicely rounded.

We can safely say it is not for Druids, however.

A dash of Mythic Exemplar of Orthos would make for a nice addition to the existing Sorcerer/Monk/Abjurant Champion/Enlightened Fist gish.

Ramza00
2007-05-08, 09:16 PM
Well the two caster level losts are at lvl 1 and 10. Thus you can make it an 8/10 or an 8/9 prestige class.

I am refering to the two options that progress your spellcasting class (out of the six total)

Rama_Lei
2007-05-08, 09:16 PM
Love it. Creative, diverse, unique. This is what a supplement should be.