PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Any suggestions on Optimization?

Hiro
2015-08-18, 09:54 AM
I've gotten together a new char I've been working on but I'm not sure where to take it so far. If any of you game sages would help I'd be most thankful. This char is generally going to be run solo. So far I have (I used a random die roller and came out with ridiculous stats, these are in no way skewed.) And I'd prefer Pathfinder only optimization suggestions.

Str: 13
Dex: 18
Con: 15
Int: 20
Wis: 18
Cha: 10

Race: Human Lycanthrope (wereleopard)

Class: Exploiter Wizard 1
Traits: Resilient, Two-World Magic (Open to change)

Feats: Hermean Blood (to make Perception and Stealth class skills)
Nimble Moves
Skill Focus (Stealth)
Weapon Finesse

On the last two I'm not sure if the feats your animal form has are considered bonuses or not. I"m assuming they are.

Exploiter Wizards Trade their Arcane Bond for The Arcane Reservoir and the Schools for the Arcane exploits (from the Arcanist class)

Spells and equip suggestions are all welcome this char will run up to lvl 20

Geddy2112
2015-08-18, 11:21 AM
Woah, those are some crazy stats. Only swap would be wisdom and Constitution. You have good will saves and enough skill points for perception to be okay, but as a wizard you need more fort and HP. Would also open up a different trait than resilient. Reactionary is probably the best trait you can take in the game-no need to worry about fortitude saves if you go first and solve the problem before it begins.

Unless your using two world magic to get create water, take another trait. But create water is good...really good.

Slippery can get stealth as a class skill if you really need it, and seeker can get perception as a class skill. The favored class bonus is only a +3, which won't matter in the long run and once you have magic these things are trivial. Wasting a feat for these class skills is meh. Also, you could take cosmopolitian, which would give you 2 class skills and 2 bonus languages. Unless your taking the feat for the backstory thing, in which case you should just talk with the DM about that.

Nimble moves is handy for a solo, particularly cause you are a caster and 5 foot steps are your bread and butter. Animal form feats should be bonus, and only work when you are in that form. Otherwise both would be a waste on your character. Improved initiative is god, and since you are in a solo campaign you need to go first, as you are 1 save or X away from game over.

Your loadout should be standard caster swag-dueling cestus, mithral buckler with enchantments a la carte, cloak of resistance, ring of protection, headband of intelligence boosting, belt of increase dex and/or strength, haramaki with armor enhancements, handy haversack, etc.

Hiro
2015-08-18, 12:53 PM
I am using Two-world magic to get Create Water since it's normally an orison.

Alright I can swap out Resilient for Reactionary, that's a pretty good point about needing to get initiative first.

Slippery does that? Cool I'll keep that in mind. I just thought that having stealth as a class skill goes well with the natural inclinations of a leopard.

Wizards can use haramaki? Isn't there a penalty for using stuff you arent proficient in? Or can you make them out of something like darkleaf cloth to reduce the penalties?

Any suggestions for class build up to best survive most events in general?

Geddy2112
2015-08-18, 03:09 PM
One major trick is to spam create water. It can detect invisible creatures, make dirt into mud and control a battlefield, flood small areas(or larger ones over time at higher levels),detect cracks/secret things, and provide water so no need to lug drinking water around. It, prestidigation, and detect magic are your bread and butter for general use.

Not being proficient in armor means you add the check penalty to attacks and all str/dex checks, instead of just skills. Since it has no armor check penalty, this does not matter. The +1 to ac is secondary-you are primarily needing this so you can add armor enhancements. But any bonus to AC is good.

Any buff spell with a minute/level or longer duration should be cast before battle-you don't have time to buff in battle. Find ways to outright avoid hits such as flying, displacement, mirror image, etc. Without frontliners, summoning is risky due to the casting time. A metamagic quickening rod is helpful. At higher levels you can bind planar creatures as permanent bodyguards. Since you are solo, there is a good chance you DM will allow you to take leadership, or otherwise hire/recruit meatshields. Do this. Also, never let things get close to you-battlefield control like wall of force, black tentacles, etc keeps things from getting close and killing you.

Nyaa
2015-08-19, 03:39 AM
quicken summon monster
Holy moly, PF quicken works on spells with 1 round casting time. But not on spontaneous ones :furious:
Do druid's spontaneous SNA or Herald Caller cleric (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/cleric/archetypes/paizo---cleric-archetypes/herald-caller-cleric-archetype)'s spontaneous Summon Monster count as spontaneous for the purpose of Quicken Spell?

Hiro
2015-08-20, 02:48 PM
That all sounds like delicious cheese

Any thoughts on multiclassing into a Magus to give more versatility with Broad Study arcana?