+11|
+11|
+6|-

20th|
+20/+15/+10/+5|
+12|
+12|
+6|Brew of the fermented root[/table]

All of the following are class features of a pirate of Monkey Island™.

Raw Talent (Ex): The pirate of Monkey Island™ does not have any skill points, and if he multiclasses he still does not receive any skill points. However, he may use any skill untrained, even skills that normally require special training. In addition, he receives no penalties to his skill for using an improvised tool. In fact, using any improvised tool counts as a masterwork tool for a skill check. The bonus improvised tools provide the pirate of Monkey Island™ is equal to 2 (masterwork) + 1 per pirate of Monkey Island™ level. He does not receive this bonus if he is not using an improvised tool. He may use almost any tool for almost any job, so long as it makes sense. He may use, for example, chewing gum to help a Balance check, but not a coat hanger to help a Spot check. The pirate of Monkey Island™ may use only one improvised tool at a time.

Expanded Inventory (Ex): The pirate of Monkey Island™ may hold many more items for strange situations than a normal individual. He may hold up to his body weight x his pirate of Monkey Island™ level of weight without being encumbered, regardless of his Strength. However, no item that he carries may exceed half of his own weight. In addition, when attempting to use an item, it is always easy to find, regardless of anything else he may be carrying, just like in a Handy Haversack.

Weapon Finesse: At 2nd level, the pirate of Monkey Island™ receives Weapon Finesse as a bonus feat.

Deep Lungs (Ex): At 3rd level, the pirate of Monkey Island™ may hold his breath for either five times longer than he normally would be able to, or ten minutes, whichever is longer.

Three-Headed Monkey (Ex): Starting at 4th level, the pirate of Monkey Island™ may make horrible lies sound reasonable. Once per day per two class levels, the pirate of Monkey Island™ may use this ability to gain a +50 bonus on any one Bluff or Diplomacy check so long as it is for a claim which is utterly ridiculous (believability modifier of +20 or higher). He may not use this ability when haggling over a price, and the target receives a second check after 1 minute to disbelieve the Bluff without this bonus.

Cutting Quip (Ex): When using the Weapon Finesse feat in battle, the pirate of Monkey Island™ may make a Diplomacy check as an immediate action prior to any one attack. If he succeeds (DC 15), he gains a bonus on the attack and subsequent damage rolls equal to his Charisma modifier.

Monkey Companion (Ex): At 6th level, the pirate of Monkey Island™ gains the service of a loyal monkey companion. This functions exactly like the druid class feature of the same name, except he may only have a standard issue monkey as his companion. His class level is equal to his effective druid level for determining features of his animal companion.

Treasure Sense (Su): At 7th level, the pirate of Monkey Island™ knows the location of nearby treasure. If there is a hoard of more than 1,000 gp nearby, the pirate of Monkey Island™ knows the general direction of the treasure. In addition, he receives a +10 bonus on Search checks to find treasure.

Honest Fool (Ex): At 8th level, the pirate of Monkey Island™ is able to easily relate to people. NPCs begin with an attitude of friendly towards the pirate of Monkey Island™, unless they have a specific reason to dislike him.

Fast Talker (Ex): At 9th level, the pirate of Monkey Island™ may take 10 any Diplomacy check except for his cutting quip class feature, even if stress or distraction would normally prevent him from doing so.

Grog! Grog! Grog! (Ex): At 10th level, the pirate of Monkey Island™ receives a +5 bonus to resist being poisoned, and gains resistance acid 10.

Newfound Love Interest (Ex): At 11th level, the pirate of Monkey Island™ may create a love interest once per day. He must succeed on an opposed Charisma check with someone who finds him attractive. If he succeeds, the person becomes wooed for 1 minute/level and will attempt to help him if they can.

Rubber Tree (Ex): At 12th level and every three levels thereafter, the pirate of Monkey Island™ may reroll one die roll every day. He may choose to reroll it after success or failure has been determined, but before the consequences have been described.

Knowledge of the Monkey (Ex): Once per day at 13th level and higher, the pirate of Monkey Island™ may feed his monkey companion a banana and receive help with a difficult situation. The monkey may make one Knowledge check with a +30 bonus untrained. The monkey may then impart the knowledge to the pirate of Monkey Island™ through whatever means he wishes. Banana not included.

Fearless (Ex): At 14th level, the pirate of Monkey Island™ becomes immune to all fear effects.

Monkey Madness (Ex): At 16th level, the pirate of Monkey Island™ receives a second monkey companion. His effective druid level for this monkey companion is equal to his class level -4.

Brew of the Fermented Root (Ex): At 20th level, the pirate of Monkey Island™ becomes a bane to ghosts everywhere. he may spend 10 minutes developing a powerful brew which is deadly to ghosts. This brew fills a flask similarly to an acid flask, and is used in the same way. However, it deals 20d10 damage to any ghost it hits. It deals no damage to other enemies. A pirate of Monkey Island™ may have only one such brew at a time.

EDIT: Fixed some typos, changed Treasure Sense, and removed an error from a previous version.

Hazkali
2007-05-08, 10:41 AM
Okay, some points:

How exactly does the Raw Talent ability work? He may use any skill untrained, but what is his effective skill rank?
I think Treasure Sense should be (Su), rather than (Ex).
Some of once per day bonuses are rather large- +50, +30 etc. I think these should be reduced as failure with these bonuses becomes almost impossible.

There might be other things too.

Overall it looks a tad overpowered, but a fun class. I haven't seen Monkey Island though.

Jarchh
2007-05-08, 12:42 PM
Okay, some points:

Overall it looks a tad overpowered, but a fun class. I haven't seen Monkey Island though.

Hehe I'm pretty sure this class was never meant for play.. but I must say I did find this rather hilarious, the monkey island series contains some of the funniest and fun gaming moments I've experienced, and this class really seems to some up well the features of mr guybrush.. hehe good one.

Kellus
2007-05-08, 05:02 PM
Okay, some points:

How exactly does the Raw Talent ability work? He may use any skill untrained, but what is his effective skill rank?
I think Treasure Sense should be (Su), rather than (Ex).
Some of once per day bonuses are rather large- +50, +30 etc. I think these should be reduced as failure with these bonuses becomes almost impossible.

There might be other things too.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll try and justify why I chose the things I did. :P

Raw Talent means that he can attempt any skill, but cannot put any ranks into them. Therefore, his bonus is simply equal to his ability modifier, as well as any skill-oriented feats he takes.

As for Treasure Sense, you're probably right. I was just loathe to put any supernatural abilities into the class, as I wanted it to be free of magic and such.

The skill bonuses are indeed large, but you need to keep in mind two things. First, he does not have any ranks in these skills. A +50 is an amazing bonus, but it's really only the equivalent of a +30 bonus or so for a regular character who has put 20 ranks into Bluff or Diplomacy. Secondly, you need to keep in mind what the bonuses do.

The Bluff bonus is fantastic, but the victim can make another save after a minute, which they will almost certainly succeed on, since it does not get the bonus. Also, it's only usable on gigantic whoppers, not regular interactions.

The Knowledge bonus of +30 is excellent, but it's only once per day, and, really, it's only Knowledge. A single successful Knowledge check every day is not horribly powerful, and the pirate still needs to provide his own banana. :)

Arbitrarity
2007-05-08, 08:47 PM
With MW tools, though, he gets effectively (effectively) class level ranks in every skill. Madness!

I.e. Expressionless mask: Improvised bluff tool, and disguise tool. Voila.

Sornas
2007-05-10, 10:21 AM
Seems pretty overpowered to me, at least compared to standard fighting classes, (What with the Level+2 bonus to any skills as long as the player has an ounce of creativity, full BaB, and lots of nifty abilities) but I know that isn't saying much anyway. ^_^

Very funny though, and perfect for the flavor of Monkey Island. I love it! ^_^

oloknotwise
2007-06-23, 01:42 AM
I still don;t believe that you created a successful class from Monkey Island. It really does seem to be good, but this would not be suitable in a serious campaign.

My only concern is its ability to use any item to get a bonus on skill checks. I understand the exact concept, but, as other people have stated, there needs to be some more control on that. It seems that the ability can be seriously abused and it might turn out that you could potentially be a better skill monkey than a very intelligent rogue.

Also, exactly what are in those bananas that you use to feed the monkeys? Like, really, give them a banana and suddenly they know everything? Where can I get some?:P