PDA

View Full Version : PTU: Slated for Glory!

MesiDoomstalker
2015-08-18, 03:47 PM
To any normal person, the sound of the morning Pidgey cooing outside their window was their wake up call. For Gwen Slate, it was the incessant buzzing of diaphanous wings. While it was not early morning, quite the opposite. It was nearly noon! And outside young Gwen's window was a familiar (if not particularly attractive) face belonging to Abraxus, her father's Yanmega. Abraxus hovered outside the two story window, lightly disturbing papers and small objects strewn about the room. GUINEVERE! Wake up sweetie! I've got a surprise for you!

Frank, your father, was running towards the house. By the redness of his face and his teetering course, it seems he had been running the entire way. In one hand, he was waiving a bright red envelop with a wax seal.

Esprit15
2015-08-18, 04:10 PM
Gwen reaches toward Abraxus, petting the large insect on the snout. "I'm awake, boy... Mostly, I swear..." She should not have stayed up all of last night, but she couldn't sleep!

"What is it!" she calls down from the window, hastily trying to get ready.

MesiDoomstalker
2015-08-18, 04:17 PM
Frank huffed up the walkway to the front door on his last breaths. He held up the red letter high in the air as he bent over heaving and sucking in deep lungful of air. He tried to respond, but all that came out was wheezing. Abraxus gently nibbled your hand before descending down to Frank, gingerly grabbing the letter with his mandibles and bringing it back to your window. The letter was solid red, bearing your name in fancy calligraphy. It was sealed with a wax seal in the shape of a pokeball.

After breaking the seal, the letter inside was long winded and filled with lots of mumbo jumbo. But what you did glean was the Pokemon League of Johto was giving you notice of your admission to the ranks of Trainers! You were officially a trainer! Or at least once you got your Starter Pokemon and your License. But wait, wasn't it Professor Oak or Professor Elm who gave out Starter Pokemon? You were sure you'd have heard if either were visiting the small Azalea Town. Everyone knows everyone, and news travels faster by word of mouth than the TV nowadays.

Esprit15
2015-08-18, 04:34 PM
Gwen simply lets out a victorious "WHOO!" as she finishes reading. "Wait, where am I supposed to get my starter, Dad?" she calls down. "Don't region professors normally do that?"

MesiDoomstalker
2015-08-18, 10:51 PM
Inhaling sharply, finally catching his breath, your father explained. The League gave some special permissions to Bugsy and Kurt to give out starter pokemon to the eligible trainers here since Proffessor Elm is stuck in his lab in New Bark, so Bugsy and Kurt picked out one mon each and are going to give them to you and your friend Colby and Kurt's little grandaughter, whats her name, Marie! Sucking in another breath. Apparently there's another man whose supposed to officiate the process whose coming into town, he's supposed to be here by noon and its almost noon, sweetie, so hurry up! Frank inhaled sharply one more time before falling backwards onto his back with a huff, panting as he finally had a chance to rest.

Esprit15
2015-08-18, 11:04 PM
"On it!" He didn't have to tell her twice. Other man? Who would be needed for that? Not important, she'd learn soon enough. To the Gym! ...it was the gym, right?

MesiDoomstalker
2015-08-18, 11:29 PM
As you got downstairs, your father was just getting back to his feet with the help of Abraxus. Someone associated with the League, you know, to make it all official. They sent me here to get you, but, uh... He trailed off as he looked down the winding road that lead to your house. A small sedan was driving along it at a snail's pace (you were sure you could outrun it). It puttered into the drive and came to a lurching stop. From out the driver's side came old Kurt, who smiled warmly at you and your father.

The passenger side came Bugsy, in his usual 'safari' garb. Heya Frank! Sorry, our guest thought it be wiser to come to see Gwen instead of waiting for her to get out of bed! He smiled good naturedly at you for the rib. The backdoor flung open, with Colby and Marie spilling out, wrestling to see who was the first one out. Technically it was Colby, as he dropped out back first. But Marie was the first to jump to her feet. Ok Grandpa, were all here! We can see the starters now right!? RIGHT!? Colby got out from under the girl (she's only 14, so why was she acting like she was getting a Pokemon?), towering above her and putting his massive mitt on her ponytailed head. Shush. We just got here. You can wait a few more minutes. Besides, I get first dips! Nuh-uh!

During the commotion, the other backdoor opened. A well dressed, elderly man had exited the vehicle and stood between Bugsy and Kurt. Now, now. At least let me introduce myself to Guinevere first. Hello, I'm Mr. Pokemon. While I'm technically retired, I was a League Official in my youth. The League has given me special permissions to authorize and distribute starter pokemon in this instances since a certain Professor is indisposed. He coughed and looked away, before continuing. As such, I have deputized Bugsy and Kurt in this manner. We each have chosen a Pokemon for you three to choose from.

The three men produced pokeballs. True to form, Kurt had a carved apricorn instead of the cold industrial pokeball. It was vivid pink, with a heart. He twisted the bulb as it released the stored pokemon. A small, bipedal pokemon with no legs, that resembled an unbloomed rosebud. A Budew. I choose this pokemon because they are wonderful gardners! They will help cultivate you as a burgeoning trainer.

Bugsy's ball was a camouflage pattern. The pokemon released was tiny, resting on his hairy and barely disturbing it. The small fairy clung tightly to a small flower. I chose Flabebe. I decided to not be typical and not choose a Bug type, but I did choose something that is deceptive. Even the smallest friends should not be underestimated.

Finally, Mr. Pokemon pulled out a solid crimson red pokeball. A small mammal with large ears and blue/black fur came out, meowing softly as it snoozed in the grass. Shinx. An adorable pokemon, if I do say so myself. But it will defend you with its life if you befriend it.

Mary squeed as the pokemon were released and Colby looked antsy. But before either could shout their choice, Mr. Pokemon cleared his throat to draw their attention. Now, children. I had to bare your petty squabbles on the drive here. I feel Guinevere deserves the first choice. Even if it was ultimately her laziness that brought us here in the first place. His tone was matter-of-fact, and non-accusatory.

Esprit15
2015-08-19, 12:14 AM
"Hm..." Shinx were pretty decent on offense, while Flabebe were adorable and really hard to take down. But there was something about the Budew that stuck with her. Maybe it was that little grin on its face, but she liked the flower. "I'll go with this one," she says, gingerly picking up the plant if it lets her.

MesiDoomstalker
2015-08-19, 12:26 AM
The little plant cooed softly as you picked it up, barely opening its eyes as it was roused from its nap. Budew... Kurt nodded solemnly. Mary and Colby dashed forward. Colby picked up the dozing Shinx while Mary gently scooped up the Flabebe. Excellent! Now that that is taken care off, you can have these. Holding out some regular envelopes. Inside are your Trainer Cards. I suggest you do not lose them. Now, Kurt, if you be so kind. I'd like to go back to retirement.

Kurt, who had been silent the entire time nodded, before whispering something in Mary's ear. She nodded back, seeming to fight back tears. Colby was gently petting his Shinx as the grownups climbed back into car. Frank clasped a hand on your shoulder. Well. You 3 are newly fledged trainers. What are you planning on doing now?

Esprit15
2015-08-19, 05:56 PM
Okay, she was wrong. This is the cutest thing ever! "Probably get to know the Pokémon first, see what they can do, then try to see which of us is the strongest trainer!" The Budew gives a small squeak of approval.

MesiDoomstalker
2015-08-19, 06:13 PM
I propose a race! First to get to Goldenrod and claim Whitney's badge wins! READY SET GO! Colby began running down the drive, his new Shinx crying in surprise at the sudden jostling. Mary giggled as she placed the tiny flower on her ear. Well, I'm going to Slowpoke Well first. I want one of those adorable little things. I'll see you in Goldenrod Gwen! She skipped down the drive.

Frank pulled you into a tight, but quick, hug. I love you, sweetie. Hurry along, I don't want to hear Colby beat you to Whitney.

GO AND EXPLORE THE WORLD

Esprit15
2015-08-19, 06:35 PM
"Hey, wait up, we shouldn't go through the forest alone!" Gwen says, running after Colby.

MesiDoomstalker
2015-08-19, 06:55 PM
Colby had already turned onto the main road when he heard you. He skidded to a stop and whipped around. Judge it your right! Duh! smacking himself on the head. Your dad would kill me if I let you go through Ilex without some protection! Well then, hurry up! He began jogging in place.

The walk there was awkward, as Colby kept trying to run ahead, then stopped for you to catch up. Curse his long legs! After passing through the gate house, you entered the familiar forest. Despite it being just past noon, it was dark and cool on the forest floor. Massive sequoias and oaks towered above you, their thick canopies completely blocking the sky ten-fold. While you couldn't see terribly far due to the thick trunks, there was a rough path cut by the Cutman (good guy, though a bit obsessed). Despite Colby's previous exuberance, he's much calmer and more reserved here. You can't help but notice he's fallen just behind your shoulder instead of taking the lead. Uh, I know you've gone in here with your Dad and Bugsy alot. Do you know the path?

The cutman's path through the forest is the safest if not the quickest route through the forest. Its also the least likely to find wild pokemon, at least from personal experience. Traveling between the massive tree trunks and through the brush likely will be quicker, so long as you travel the right direction (north). Your father warned against this course of action many times however.

Esprit15
2015-08-19, 07:04 PM
"Well the path is safest. If it weren't for the Weedle and Beedrill, I'd say we just cut north, but... Yeah, not going to tempt fate that way. Just follow the road." Maybe if one of them had a bird or something, but nope.

MesiDoomstalker
2015-08-19, 07:24 PM
Your journey through the forest was painfully slow. The din of rustling leaves, crunching twigs and occasional Bird chirp soon became background noise. Your trip was ultimately uneventful, the most important thing of note was spotting a snoozing Hoothoot which fled before either of you could react. While you couldn't see the sun, the dim light of the forest was rapidly waning to near perfect darkness. Maybe we should stop for the night. While looking for a good spot to camp for the night, you heard a song. It was quiet, you could barely hear it over the rustling leaves. It was coming somewhere from off the path. Colby seemed to be ignorant of its beautiful sound.

Esprit15
2015-08-19, 08:12 PM
"Hang on... Can you hear that?" She looks down at the Budew. "You heard it, right?"

MesiDoomstalker
2015-08-19, 08:13 PM
Heard what? Colby looked around confused. The little Budew however started waddling towards the sound with as much hustle its tiny legs can manage. If you don't stop it, it'll be off the path in moments.

Esprit15
2015-08-19, 08:19 PM
"Let your Shinx out and follow the waddling Budew," she says, not stopping the Budew but not letting it get too much of a lead.

MesiDoomstalker
2015-08-19, 08:27 PM
Colby looked at you like you were an idiot, but followed your direction anyway. The Shinx, now much livilier than before dashed after the Budew and soon surpassed it. While the two of you tried to follow, the Shinx was soon out of sight, being able to squeeze around massive roots easier than the big humans (and faster than the tiny Budew). Luckily, before Colby could blame you for losing his starter in less than 12 hours, the tree's cleared as the two of you stumbled into a small clearing. Unlike the path, which was clearly made by removing trees, this clearing was natural and filled with low lieing flowers.

Sitting near the edge of the clearing was Colby's Shinx. In the center of the clearing was a small wooden structure that looked like a tiny wooden hut, with a small enclave instead of a small door. What looked like various berries were placed in the enclave. Sitting infront of the tiny-hut was a beautiful women in a long, floral dress. She was playing a harp, which must be the music you heard. She hasn't seemed to have noticed you yet.

The girl must be a Kimono Girl from Ecruteak, based on the fact she's wearing a Kimono.

The shrine is known as the Forest Shrine. People used to pay tribute their for good luck passing through the forest.
It is said the shrine is watched over by Celebi and if Celebi enjoys your tribute, will bless your journey through the forest ensuring you leave unharmed

Esprit15
2015-08-19, 09:13 PM
"Hello," Gwen says, lowering her head to the woman before picking up her Budew. "Out Pokémon heard you playing. It's getting late. What are you doing out here?"

MesiDoomstalker
2015-08-19, 09:20 PM
The Kimono Girl inhaled sharply, as you startled her. She stopped playing and turned to look at the two of you. You couldn't make out her face in the darkness, but that was soon remedied as she light a lantern sitting next to her feet. Forgive me. I was simply paying my respects to the shrine. I did not hear your approach. She bowed low, then smiled warmly at you. I'm here on a pilgrimage. It is late now isn't it. Do you have shelter with you? I have some but it is only sufficient for myself.

She stood up, picking up a large pack with her. Despite its apparent weight, her moves were immaculate and graceful. I would gladly spend the night with the two of you, though I do ask you do not camp within the grove itself. It is disrespectful of the Spirit of the Forest the shrine is dedicated to. She seemed innocent, though you noticed she danced over your question and changed the subject quickly.

Esprit15
2015-08-19, 09:25 PM
"Sure. We were just going to camp by the roadside, honestly. What's the pilgrimage for?" Gwen asks as she turns to leave the sacred ground.

MesiDoomstalker
2015-08-19, 09:39 PM
As she slung her pack onto her back, she scurried towards the direction you came from. Oh just a rite of passage. Kinda weird for you to be here alone. I thought the Kimono Girls were all in Ecruteak.

She's lieing.

Esprit15
2015-08-19, 09:52 PM
"But what about? What is the rite for?" She looks back over to Colbey. "Yeah, but Ekruteak isn't that far away. It's a more reasonable distance than what we plan for our own rite, after all."

MesiDoomstalker
2015-08-19, 09:59 PM
It is complicated and I am tired. Once we reach the road, we should retire. Colby elbowed you in the ribs. Shhh dude! She obviously doesn't want to talk about it!

Esprit15
2015-08-19, 10:04 PM
"Fine..." She looks down at the Budew in her arms. "Stay. I'm going to set up our tent." Setting the Pokémon down, she watches it. "Right there, stay. Don't wander off." By the time the others are done setting up, Gwen is probably only half way done, between watching the Budew and having trouble actually setting the structure up.

But finally, she is done. "Should someone watch for Pokémon or people that might come by in the night?" Gwen asks with a yawn.

MesiDoomstalker
2015-08-19, 10:09 PM
Didn't you say the path was safest? Stay up if you like, I'm going to bed. Colby climbed into his tent, though it seemed it was a hair too small as his feet stuck out the entrance. The Kimonon Girl just smiled before retiring to her (rather large) tent. She wasn't very honest about her lodging.

Make 3 perception checks regardless if you stay up or not.

Esprit15
2015-08-19, 10:25 PM
Gwen shrugs, and starts working on collecting stones to make a small fire... After which she realizes she has nothing to start it with. "I still have yet to name you..." She says, looking down at the flower Pokémon. "What will stick well... Can't call you Sprout, you'll grow out of it... Fireweed. That's your name. Grows fast, hard to take down." The Budew looks at Gwen like she's on something, but then smiles. Sure, call me some arbitrary name!

Gwen tries her best to stay up, but eventually retires to her tent, to tired to bother Colbey to wake up for watch. [roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

MesiDoomstalker
2015-08-20, 11:19 PM
You doze off to sleep with little effort, the excitement and travel sapping the last of your consciousness.

However, your rest is disrupted in the middle of the night. The sound of brush rustling, twigs snapping. By the volume, it had to be something bigger than the typical curious wild pokemon. You strain to hear anything more. A tense 10 seconds pass but you hear nothing but the silence of the night and a lone Noctowl's cry. Just as you were about to turn over and go back to sleep, you hear hushed whispering coming form outside your tent.

She's supposed to be alone!
I know, dude, I know!
What are we gonna do?
Shuttit! You'll wake 'em. Just get ready. I'll get the one on the left, you get the one on the right. Don't touch the girl.

'the girl' is the Kimono Girl, not you
Bold and Bold/Italics are two separate voices.

Esprit15
2015-08-21, 03:23 AM
Gwen shakes Fireweed awake. "You touch me and I'll scream!" she yells into the night. "Who the heck are you!?" By now the girl is scrambling out of her bag, peeking from the tent.

MesiDoomstalker
2015-08-23, 12:15 AM
Oh **** she's awake! The two men seemed to be in their late teens, possibly early 20s. They both had a Rattata, which were approaching your and Colton's tents. Speaking of Colton, his head pokes out his tent. What the void are you- his words died on his lips as he scrambled to pull out his pokeball, releasing his Shinx.

Map+init (https://app.roll20.net/join/119719/D5jAww)
You can roll here or there, doesn't matter. For whatever reason, my token's don't include Budew (and like 5 other Sinnoh mon), so just bare with Roselia.
For reference, the trees are Blocking terrain, unless they only partially cover the square, then its rough. The upper-left path leads further into the forest towards Goldenrod, the bottom-left leads back to Azalea and the narrow path to the upper-right leads back to the shrine.

Esprit15
2015-08-23, 07:42 PM
"Fireweed, use Absorb!" Gwen yells.
Absorb on nearby Ratatta
If Training features can have been applied, Fireweed has Focused (+1 to accuracy) and Critical Training (+1 to crit range and effect range)

Focused Command, +1 to accuracy

Special, Grass
AC: [roll0] 2
Damage: [roll1]
If Crit: +[roll2]

Gwen is not on the map and as such is not readily accessable

MesiDoomstalker
2015-08-23, 09:34 PM
The Rattata writhed at its life force was sapped. The Shinx rammed into the Rattata, while both Rattata's slammed back into both Fireweed and the Shinx. Who are you people!? Who are you!?

Fireweed took 25 Phsyical Damage (already adjusted for Defense and your HP bar).
Gwen isn't on the map because I don't have a token for her :smalltongue:

Esprit15
2015-08-23, 10:04 PM
"What the hell!? Leave us alone!" Gwen yells. "Drain them!"
Standard Action - Critical Moment

Absorb
AC: [roll0] 2, Crit on 20+
If Crit: [roll2]

Heal half of damage done.

MesiDoomstalker
2015-08-23, 11:16 PM
7, already on your bar.

Fang! Finish this with Tackle! The Shinx dashed forward, slamming into the Rattata and sending it flying. It lays still on the forest floor. No!

Calm down, I got this Tackle! The lone Rattata charged at Fireweed, hitting the plant square in the face. The budew went flying, falling into Gwen's lap, unconscious.

44 damage. HP bar adjusted.

Esprit15
2015-08-23, 11:25 PM
A little thread in Gwen's brain snaps. She charges out of her tent and kicks at the Ratatta.
Rock Smash
Fighting, Physical
AC: [roll0] Lower Defense on 17-20

MesiDoomstalker
2015-08-23, 11:30 PM
Arceus Judged! This witch is crazy!
Lets get out of here! Forget this mess!
The duo hastily returned their fainted Rattatas, before running off further down the road towards Goldenrod. What in the world was that about?

14 EXP

Esprit15
2015-08-23, 11:36 PM
Gwen stays in a fighting stance as the men run off. "I have no clue. Like I said, two people is better than one, though." She looks around the camp site, seeing if the men left anything around.
Perception: [roll0]

MesiDoomstalker
2015-08-23, 11:40 PM
One seemed to have dropped a flashlight, one with a small handcrank to power it. Unfortunately, the bulb seemed to have broken when it fell. Just a tad further up the road, you see what looks like a crumpled up piece of paper. Unfortunately, it was too dark, the paper too muddy and crumpled to read at the moment.

25 Poke to get a new bulb in town.

Esprit15
2015-08-23, 11:52 PM
Gwen pockets the paper, fully intending to read it come sunrise. "Well, I would say it is your turn to watch while I sleep," she says to the boy as she climbs into her tent. "Because I don't have another Pokemon to take hits right now. Need to catch something in the morning."

MesiDoomstalker
2015-08-24, 12:13 AM
Ok, ok, fine. Thankfully, the rest of the night went by undisturbed. You wake early in the morning. Fireweed was snoozing close to you. You heard the sounds of tiny feet moving gracefully across the forest floor. While they were obviously trying to avoid the twigs, they could not muffle the sound of the soft moist earth squishing beneath them.

Esprit15
2015-08-24, 12:17 AM
Gwen slowly undoes her tent, peaking out at the noise. If she was lucky, she would be able to make her first capture!

MesiDoomstalker
2015-08-24, 12:27 AM
Unfortunately, or fortunately, the footsteps did not belong to a Pokemon, but to the Kimono Girl. She had already packed her tent and seemed intent on leaving without so much as a goodbye. Oh. Good morning. Did you sleep well? She smiled sweetly, but something told you it was forced.

Esprit15
2015-08-24, 12:38 AM
"Hey," the girl says, stepping out of the tent. "Gone without so much as a goodbye? Did you hear the fight last night?"

MesiDoomstalker
2015-08-24, 12:44 AM
She tilted her head quizzically, before giggling. I'm afraid not. I'm a very heavy sleeper. She let your other question hang in the air for a moment before caving. I am truely sorry you had to defend against my attackers! I brought them upon you! I was told to travel alone for this exact reason! She looked on the verge of tears.

Esprit15
2015-08-24, 12:49 AM
OOC, I don't believe her, so let's roll IC! Intuition: [roll0]
"You knew you were being followed?"

MesiDoomstalker
2015-08-24, 12:54 AM
From what you can tell, she's being honest (at least the second half. The first half is a lie). Not for sure. I had suspicions. That shrine you found me at... it is not easy to find. It is only through secrets of the Kimono Girls that led me to it. My sisters feared, rightfully so, someone would try to follow me to the shrine. That is why I've been so unfriendly. I wasn't sure you were attempting to use me to get to the shrine. She sniffled loudly, looking pleadingly into your eyes.

Esprit15
2015-08-24, 01:47 AM
"I just started my journey yesterday. That was my first actual battle, against some weirdos trying to get you."

MesiDoomstalker
2015-08-24, 08:23 PM
And I'm truely sorry for that. Though you held up remarkably well for a first time! She bowed, out of instinct. I thank you for your assitance but I must return with haste. I do not wish to make my sisters worry (or give them any fear of the shrine's safety). Do thank your friend for me when he wakes. Without waiting for a response she hurried along the path, soon out of sight through the brush.

Esprit15
2015-08-24, 11:48 PM
"That's... Odd," Gwen says with a shrug. Remembering the paper, Gwen digs through her pockets for it.

MesiDoomstalker
2015-08-25, 11:10 PM
The print was smudged and smeared. While parts were illegible, the general idea of the note was clear. Follow the girl, don't confront her. Use some kind of device once there (you can only infer, the name of the device and what it does is completely illegible). One thing has remained clear despite its turmoil. The signature.

The Ma'am.

Hey Dork, where'd that Kimono Girl go? What's that in your hands?

Esprit15
2015-08-25, 11:36 PM
"I don't know... She just really wanted to leave this morning, it seemed. I found this last night," she says, holding the paper. "Those guys were looking for the woman, apparently. Doesn't say why though... I'm gonna hold onto this."

MesiDoomstalker
2015-08-25, 11:40 PM
Whatever, lets get going. I want to beat Whitney before next year.

You want wilds ya?

Esprit15
2015-08-25, 11:56 PM
"Sure, but let's take our time. I'm not beating her with one mon."

MesiDoomstalker
2015-08-26, 10:37 PM
Your walk through the forest is dreadfully uneventful till at least noon, when the dim forest floor barely brighter than twilight. You notice out of the corner of your eye a large, yellow bug with a horn on its head. It hasn't noticed you yet. Nor has Colton noticed it (he's a bit dense, ain't he?)

Esprit15
2015-08-26, 11:00 PM
"MINE!" Gwen says, throwing a ball at the Weedle before Colbey can notice it. No way was Colbey getting his first capture before her!
AC: [roll0] 6
Capture: [roll1]

MesiDoomstalker
2015-08-26, 11:50 PM
The ball smacks against the Weedle, absorbing it into the ball. The ball falls to the floor, shaking for a moment before Dinging.

Level 5 Weedle, Nature of choice, Male, 6 Inheritance moves, cause I'm a jerk

Esprit15
2015-08-27, 12:33 AM
Gwen cheers. "I caught a Weedle! Dad's going to be so proud of me! Ooh, I wonder how well I could counter Abraxus with a Beedrill... Probably not well, Flying type and all..." she says to herself as she goes to pick up the ball.

MesiDoomstalker
2015-08-27, 12:39 AM
I never understood why your dad and Bugsy liked Bugs so much. Most are shiite. The forest slowly things as your travel. Soon, natural light begins to filter through the canopy. As the tree's slowly disappeared, you could see a wide open field down a sloping hill. Off in the distance is Goldenrod, framed by the setting sun, causing the distant skycrapers to glitter in the evening sun.

Suddenly, Colton bolts off. See ya squirt! I'm gonna go beat Whitney before you!

2 TXP, one for 'completing' Illex Forest and one for the Grunt foolishness. If you wish, you can chase after Colton, but he is explicitly faster than you.

Esprit15
2015-08-27, 01:12 AM
"Good luck! I'm still going to beat all eight gyms before you!" she says, not rushing to follow. She was hardly ready to battle Whitney, the others certainly weren't either.

MesiDoomstalker
2015-08-27, 01:32 AM
As Colton became a small dot running along the open field, you pitched your tent for an early night. The tent made and twilight starting to set on the hill (man, its been too dark for too long), you hear the sound of chittering. Looking up from your tent, you see a large pair of purple ears poking out from some tall grass not too far from you. They twitch slightly.

Esprit15
2015-08-27, 01:59 AM
Purple ears? What kind of Pokemon has purple ears out here? Gwen motions Fireweed/Yellow Jacket toward the ears, putting the other hand on a ball.
I assume I can say I spent a lot of the day trying to get to know the Weedle? Or did I find it later in the day? If I can command it relatively easily, I'll use the Weedle, otherwise I'll use Budew.

Pokemon Edu: [roll0]

MesiDoomstalker
2015-08-27, 08:12 AM
You caught it early-ish in the day. Its just a weedle its not going to be a big fuss to train. Not till its a Beedrill at least.
You remember from your studies the pretty pictures in the encyclopedia. Several mon have big ears, but the only one with big, deep purple ears you can remember was a Male Nidoran. As you approach, the ear-twitching picks up in pace. Despite your movement it seemed the ears were the same distance away, in fact it seems it has been moving away from you in-time with you moving towards it.

Esprit15
2015-08-27, 02:07 PM
Male Nidoran? Score! But she may want to be a little more careful about how she went about catching this one. At the very least, it knew that she was following it. Maybe she could try to coax it out with a little niceness? She motions Yellow Jacket back, and sets the ball down, making it clear that she was not armed. "It's okay to come out. I'm not going to hurt you," she says softly.
Charm: [roll0]

MesiDoomstalker
2015-08-27, 02:10 PM
You wait a minute or two, the ears twitching occasionally. Finally, they take one big hop towards you. Notably, they stop after one hop, still remaining safely in the tall grass.

It's curious of you, but still cautious.

Esprit15
2015-08-27, 02:24 PM
"See? Not harmful. I'm friendly." She slowly puts out a hand to the Pokémon. "Ask Yellow Jacket - I'm really nice," Gwen says, motioning to the Weedle. [roll0]

MesiDoomstalker
2015-08-27, 02:37 PM
Yellow Jacket chittered and clicked at the still hiding Nidoran. The ears disappeared and your heart sank before the head of the Nidoran popped up just over the tall grass. It's nose twitched a few times as it sniffed the air, before ducking back beneath the grass. Slowly, it poked its nose out of the grass, tentatively pulling the rest of itself from the grass. Its ears were laid flat across its body, low to the ground. It was obvious it wasn't taking too many chances, ready to bolt (or fight) if you turned out hostile. Its attention was solely on you, it seemed to be ignoring Yellow Jacket for the moment.

Esprit15
2015-08-27, 02:55 PM
Gwen thinks for a moment. "Do you want to stay here, or do you want to become stronger, evolve, and be the strongest Nidoking anyone's ever seen?"
Charm: [roll0]

MesiDoomstalker
2015-08-27, 03:02 PM
Its ear's perked up at the word 'King'. Its body language relaxed somewhat, tilting its head towards you as if asking a question. It skittered towards you, before veering off. He (gently) jabbed at your bag, before rubbing its face against you and Yellowjacket.

Esprit15
2015-08-27, 03:07 PM
Gwen smiles at this. "Is that a 'Yes, please bring me with you' or a 'Gimme all your snacks,' because I'm not getting mugged by a rabbit if it's the latter." She grabs the ball at her side, button pointing to the Nidoran. "If you want to join me, just tap the button."

MesiDoomstalker
2015-08-27, 03:09 PM
The Nidoran rammed it's horn at the ball, knocking out of your hand. The ball absorbed the bunny regardless. It began to shake.

Roll a capture, -20. Also you get to subtract your TL from capture checks normally, just a reminder.

Esprit15
2015-08-27, 03:12 PM
Huh, that boded well. Two captured in the forest. Sure, that meant her whole team was Poison type, but that also meant that she had an easy status effect riding on her team's attacks.
[roll0]

MesiDoomstalker
2015-08-27, 03:21 PM
The ball shook twice, before dinging. Then you go to sleep, because brisk game pace.

Level 7, Male (duh), 2 Inheritance moves

You wake up to the smell of a fresh, salty sea breeze. It was early morning. You'd be able to reach Goldenrod by midday, evening at the latest.

How days will go; 3 major actions. Wild Hunting is a major action, seeking out trainers is another. Most plot things are an individual major action. We'll adjust as necessary.

Esprit15
2015-08-27, 03:41 PM
Gwen begins the day, as she intends to begin all days, with training for her team. Everyone needs practice, after all, and it was a good way to bond with everyone.
Drain 1 AP, apply Ace Trainer to everyone. Fireweed gains Speed, Yellow Jacket gains Attack, Nidoran I'll decide when I stat it, but either Attack or Speed.

Fireweed gains 10 EXP, Yellow Jacket gains 7 EXP, Nidoran gains 8 EXP

Everyone is under the effect of Focused and Brutal Training.

After that, Gwen looks for a trainer battle on the way to Goldenrod.

MesiDoomstalker
2015-08-27, 04:16 PM
You stroll down the hill to the open field. The sea breeze is refreshing and invigorating. By about noon, you spot another trainer on the route, heading towards you. After quick greeting you decided on a quick battle.

If you want to wager, go ahead.
If your selected mon has speed 13 or more, go first.

Esprit15
2015-08-27, 08:12 PM
Wagering 100
Gwen sends out Spine, the Nidoran. "Show them what we practiced!"
Speed is 11

MesiDoomstalker
2015-08-27, 08:18 PM
The trainer sent out a red fox with several tails. It spat sick rhymes hot embers, dealing 31 Special Fire damage.

not using the map for this, the damage is unmodified

Esprit15
2015-08-27, 08:44 PM
"Don't let your first fight be a loss! Peck!" The Nidoran charges at the fox, putting all its energy into the hit.
Critical Moment

Peck
Physical Flying

MesiDoomstalker
2015-08-27, 08:51 PM
Spine's horn drove just beneath the head, sending the Vulpix tumbling, knocking it out in one blow. The frustrated trainer sent out a small, brown bunny next. The bunny charged forward, slamming into Spine with all his weight, dealing 45 Critical Physical Normal damage.

Esprit15
2015-08-27, 10:15 PM
As tough as Spine was, the hit from the rabbit is more than he can take, and the poor Nidoran is knocked out, though not before a spine of his jabs the rabbit, poisoning it.

After thinking for a bit, Gwen sends out Fireweed. Tempting as it is to send out Yellow Jacket, she has money on this. "Absorb!"
Grass, Special

MesiDoomstalker
2015-08-27, 10:19 PM
The rabbit struggles, having its life force slowly drained. It slammed into Fireweed for 22 Physical Normal Damage.

Esprit15
2015-08-27, 10:58 PM
"Keep draining it!"
Brutal Orders

Absorb
Special, Grass, Heal 1/2 damage done
AC: [roll0] 2, Crit on 19+

MesiDoomstalker
2015-08-27, 11:06 PM
The Bunnelby wasn't looking too hot, and it's retaliatory attack fumbled and failed to connect.

Esprit15
2015-08-27, 11:17 PM
The Budew continues to fight its hardest, pushed harder by Gwen's tough training that morning.
Brutal Orders

Absorb
Special, Grass, Heal 1/2 damage done
AC: [roll0] 2, Crit on 19+

MesiDoomstalker
2015-08-27, 11:25 PM
The Bunnelby fell. The disgruntled trainer tossed you your petty change and trudged towards Illex Forest.

You reach the outskirts of Goldenrod City in late afternoon. There was about 2 or 3 more hours of sunlight, but he city was still bustling to and fro. There was a lot more people than Azalea Town. Restaurants, theater's and all manner of entertainment venues neon signs were clicking on and inviting people in. Luckily, the Pokemon Center was easily distinguishable by being a noticeably more well-kept building.

Esprit15
2015-08-28, 12:35 AM
Gwen smiles as she heads into town. She was in the town where she would get her first badge! ...but she needed a team that could hit harder. Spine and Fireweed could hit a bit, but not well, and Yellow Jacket was nearly useless until he was fully evolved. The girl looks around town for work.

MesiDoomstalker
2015-08-28, 12:43 AM
You find numerous listings for odd jobs. Courier's, Rattata exterminators, shop help, etc etc etc. Some had a larger time investment than others and didn't pay nearly as much, but also didn't look terribly hard.

You decide the window washer at the Department Store was your best bet. Maybe you'd get a discount! The job listing requested you show up between 10 and 12 in the morning. Do you show up early or sleep in?

Esprit15
2015-08-28, 12:51 AM
Always show up early! Lateness is a sign of laziness! If you're on time, you're late, and if you're early, you're on time! Gwen shows up half an hour before she was expected, Yellow Jacket sitting on her shoulder with that adorable blank stare that all Weedle have.

MesiDoomstalker
2015-08-30, 09:46 PM
You meet with a disheveled middle-management type with a garish nametag that read Dave, Assistant Manager. In a high nasily voice, Oh good, someone took the ad. Your not afraid of heights are you? Course not, come with me. He lead you to the top of the building. It was breezy but the view was incredible. The store was the second highest building in the city, behind the Radio Tower. So, here's the trolley. You just need to get the south side of the building by the end of the day, and the pay is yours. Here's my Gear number if you have any problems. Also, don't distract the customers. We had to fire the last guy for leering up girls skirts.

The 'trolley' was a small metal platform on a tram system that could move it up and down, side to side of the side of the building it was currently attatched to. It looked flimsy, but he didn't make you sign anything so its probably safe enough right?

6 Acrobatic's rolls
6 Focus rolls
6 Command rolls
Yellow Jacket needs to make the same Acro/Focus rolls.
And finally 1 perception check

Esprit15
2015-08-30, 11:03 PM
Gwen nods, though has only one comment - "It's hardly my fault if the customers are pervs." This could be fun, though. She'd only helped around the gym, never had a real job. How hard could it be?
Gwen
Command:
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]

Focus:
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]
[roll9]
[roll10]
[roll11]

Acrobatics:
[roll12]
[roll13]
[roll14]
[roll15]
[roll16]
[roll17]

Yellow Jacket
Acrobatics (Wallclimber, should it help):
[roll18]
[roll19]
[roll20]
[roll21]
[roll22]
[roll23]

Focus:
[roll24]
[roll25]
[roll26]
[roll27]
[roll28]
[roll29]

MesiDoomstalker
2015-08-30, 11:36 PM
The day was long and arduous. You were diligent in your work, but your attention drifted occassionally, but you managed to complete the task just as the last scraps of sunlight disappeared over the horizon. Your arms were sore, and your clothes smelled of lemon scent from the cleaner. One thing you saw while cleaning was something weird, near the end of the day. You thought saw Marie going into the elevator, but you weren't sure. There was a lot of people, you only caught a glimpse of who generally looked the younger girl with an older women. As the trolley sat down on the sidewalk, Dave met you outside. Wonderful work young miss! She's shining something fierce! Would you be interested in coming tomorrow and cleaning the North side? I can understand if you don't. Though I'd hate to see such window-washing talent go to waste! You can't pin if he's being sarcastic or sincere. Or both.

Esprit15
2015-08-30, 11:59 PM
Marie? It made sense that she was here too. The only other way was through Union Cave, and that was never something to attempt alone, and given that her dad knew the way through the woods, she would likely have learned as well. She should catch up to her, see if she ran into those weird guys in the woods too. "If you pay like you did today, I will happily work for you tomorrow! Actually, I'll probably be putting a lot of this money right back into the store. Could you point me to the section for TMs?"
Thinking either Dazzling Gleam for Fireweed or Brick Break for when Yellow Jacket fully evolves

MesiDoomstalker
2015-08-31, 12:05 AM
Oh, well floors 13-18 have our specialty services. Floor 15 should be where our pre-packaged TM's are. We change it up every other night so customers have to search for what they want and see all our other wonderful merchandise. He giggled maniacally at the mundane evils of commercialism.

Esprit15
2015-08-31, 12:08 AM
"Oh? I heard people complaining about that. A lot. Some sounded like they wanted to find another store that didn't pull the rug out from under them every few days." Rather than wait for a response, she scampers off to the section for TMs, hoping to run into Marie on the way.

MesiDoomstalker
2015-08-31, 12:18 AM
You felt his white hot glare at your back as you bounded inside the still lively Department Store. You go up the elevator and come out to the 15th floor, stocked wall to wall with mutli-colored disc's with engraving's of numbers 1 through 100 on them. Some were clearly out of stock, #26 for example, but most were stuffed on the shelves. A pleasant women in a uniform approached you with a giddy smile. Welcome! Is there anything I can help you with? Before you could respond, the elevator behind you opened and a shrill squeal emanated from it. GWEN! What are you doing here! Marie wrapped her arms around your waste in a tight hug.

Esprit15
2015-08-31, 12:24 AM
"Just getting off some some work and trying to find a TM for my Pokemon. What about you?" she says to the smaller girl, smiling. "I take it the forest was no big deal for you?"

MesiDoomstalker
2015-08-31, 12:30 AM
Oh, I had no problem at all! I just took Grandad's shortcuts and got here last night. I thought I'd see you or Colton, but I guess you don't know the secret ways like I do. She said with a playful wink. Actually, I was coming to get a TM for my little cutey before challenging Whitney tomorrow! I just got a huge windfall! She made a small squeak, covering her mouth as if she said something wrong.

Esprit15
2015-09-02, 07:25 PM
"Oh? And how did you manage that? Winning a battle, or some work?"

MesiDoomstalker
2015-09-02, 08:20 PM
Marie covered her mouth with one hand, whilst tugging at the hem of her skirt with the other. She was doing this awkward teetering dance that made her look like she needed to go to the restroom. Oh its a secret!

Esprit15
2015-09-02, 08:31 PM
Gwen looks at Marie oddly. "Well you can't just lead us on like that and not say."

MesiDoomstalker
2015-09-02, 08:35 PM
I know but I forgot it was a secret! I didn't tell you, because I can't so I didn't, and I'm not!

Esprit15
2015-09-02, 08:42 PM
"Why so secret? You can tell me, right?"

MesiDoomstalker
2015-09-02, 08:54 PM
Weeeeeeeeeeeelllllllllll She dramatically looked left and right, and then behind her, awkwardly twirling on her toes. I told a secret! But ists a secret that I told a secret!

Esprit15
2015-09-02, 09:07 PM
"I can keep it quiet if that's all. You know I'm not a gossip."

MesiDoomstalker
2015-09-02, 09:43 PM
I know I can trust you! So are you challenging Whitney soon?

Esprit15
2015-09-04, 11:23 AM
Noting the change in subject and not wanting to push too hard, Gwen shrugs. "Evntually. I need to get Yellow Jacket here evolved first, so I can teach him Brick Break. A single super effective move won't win me the match, but it will improve my odds, combined with his general strength as a whole. What about you?"

MesiDoomstalker
2015-09-04, 11:37 AM
I'm planning on facing her the day after next! I didn't catch anything in Illex so I want to train and get a new partner first! What about Colton? Didn't you two leave together? Did he get lost in Illex!? WE HAVE TO GO BACK TO SAVE HIM!? She spun back towards the elevator, fully intent on rescuing no one.

Esprit15
2015-09-04, 11:40 AM
"He's fine, we just split up in town," she calls back to the excitable girl.

MesiDoomstalker
2015-09-04, 11:43 AM
Oh! Ok! Then he probably already challenged Whitney. He's all accelerator with him, isn't he? He'll probably win that wager.

Esprit15
2015-09-04, 11:53 AM
"I don't know. He could get a bad string of luck. Whitney's gym is pretty tricky from what I remember hearing."

MesiDoomstalker
2015-09-04, 12:05 PM
Well, I think he'll win. Don't take too long, otherwise I'll beat you too! Anyways, toodles! And just as quickly as she came, she bounced down the aisles, quickly getting lost among them.

Any TM below 4k is avaible to you.

Esprit15
2015-09-05, 01:19 PM
"Sure you will!" Gwen calls back. Hm... The TMs weren't as expensive as she expected. She'd work with Yellow Jacket so that he could evolve and have a TM applied, and for Fireweed she could simply apply it and get her some more damage than Absorb.
Buy Brick Break and Dazzing Gleam. Teach Fireweed Dazzing Gleam

MesiDoomstalker
2015-09-09, 10:27 PM
You take the TMs to the Center, where the readily take Fireweed and apply the TM whilst you slept. You wake up the next morning, your arms sore but otherwise refreshed. What do you do?

Esprit15
2015-09-09, 10:54 PM
The obvious, of course: MORE TRAINING!
Same as before. Yellow Jacket grows to level 8! Spine grows to level 10, and should have actually learned Double Kick at level 9!

Curious just what she'll be facing, Gwen takes her team to the Gym to register for a battle and then challenge one of the gym trainers.

MesiDoomstalker
2015-09-09, 11:19 PM
You arrive at the Gym, which honestly looks like an outdoor shopping mall complex. Small venues offering everything pink, flowery and feminine line the small network of footpaths. Luckily, signs point you towards the center of the complex, which was a few small arenas where girls in short skirts and cute tops were busy gossiping about this or that. One approaches you. Like, OMA! I soooooooo love your top! Where'd you get it? I've not seen it anywhere here, is it vintage?

Esprit15
2015-09-09, 11:47 PM
"My mother got it for me while she was last here, actually. Some Sinnoh brand I guess. It's super comfortable, too! I can actually move around in it," she says, stretching her arms in demonstration. "So are you guys gym trainers here?"

MesiDoomstalker
2015-09-09, 11:55 PM
Like, totally girl! Like, are you interested in becoming one? Cause, like, the initiation, is, like, super hard.

Esprit15
2015-09-09, 11:56 PM
"Actually, I was wanting to schedule a gym battle."

MesiDoomstalker
2015-09-10, 12:04 AM
Oh, I can't totally do that for you! Just follow me m'kay? The girl twirls and skips over to a small machine. Just need, like, your trainer card, kay? She took your card and inserted it into a slot. She tapped on the keyboard with her index finger, one key at the time as she popped her gum loudly. Her already cheery disposition stepped up a notch when the information finally came on screen. Like, OMA! Like, is this your first Gym challenge? Thats like totally awesome girl! You go girl! Whitney is out of the Gym right now and she has a challenge at 2 today. You, can, like, challenge her anytime after then.

Esprit15
2015-09-10, 12:18 AM
Gwen bites her tongue. Obviously there was a way things were done here, but could they try to speak like normal people? "How about 2 tomorrow?"

MesiDoomstalker
2015-09-10, 12:32 AM
I can totally do that! Is there, like, anything else I can do for you? Maybe a quick match? Like, you'll get a feel for how hard Whitney will be!

Esprit15
2015-09-10, 11:13 AM
"Oh, that was the other thing I had come here for," Gwen says. "How many were you thinking? I'd like to give my whole team some experience, personally."

MesiDoomstalker
2015-09-15, 11:01 PM
A 3 match? I can totally do that girl! Just so you know, Whitney will only use 2 Pokemon on you, since she's your first. She released a small, pink humanoid with wings.

If you have speed 4 or more, go first.

Esprit15
2015-09-17, 12:24 AM
"Alright, sounds good to me!" Gwen says, sending Yellow Jacket out. He was the least likely to do serious damage, but best to finish strong than to peter out. "Keep your distance and use Poison Sting!"
Physical, Poison, 6m range
AC: [roll0] 2, Poison 17+

MesiDoomstalker
2015-09-19, 10:00 PM
The Clefairy whimpered as the barb dug into its skin. Oh no! I knew I should have listened to Whitney! Just stick to Normal types! Silly me! Oh well, Cutie-Pie, Sing! The Clefairy began singing a sweet relaxing melody, but it seemed to do nothing of consequence.

Esprit15
2015-09-20, 05:23 PM
"Just ignore it and keep firing!" The Weedle shakes its head at the sing attempt, and shoots more poisonous barbs at the Clefairy.

AC: [roll0] 2, Poison 17+

MesiDoomstalker
2015-09-20, 05:28 PM
The Clefairy's jovial movements noticeably slowed as the second barb joined the first. Cutie-Pie! Hang in there dear! Keep singing! The Clefairy began singing again, this time the melody thruming through the air, dealing 25 Special Normal damage.

Esprit15
2015-09-20, 05:34 PM
Yellow Jacket shudders at the sound. "Don't worry, you just have to take this one out and you're good."
Man, I keep forgetting to use my training as orders. Brutal Orders.

AC: [roll0] 2, Poison 16+, Crit on 19+

MesiDoomstalker
2015-09-20, 05:55 PM
NO! Cutie-Pie! Not my poor Cutie-Pie! Your, like, so mean! UGH! Fine! Puppy lets go! Use Tackle! A small brown dog rushes from its pokeball, slamming into Yellow Jacket. The grub seems to falter for a moment, before being bathed in a powerful glow. His body metamorphesises and the glow subsides, revealing your brand new Kakuna! OMA, no way! I made your Caterpie evolve! That's, like, so cool!

32 Phys/Norm after evolving. You keep your HP, adding what (if any) new HP you gain from evolving. If you lose HP, just ignore it and keep your total.

Esprit15
2015-09-20, 06:45 PM
"Hey, he was a Weedle! And awesome, Yellow Jacket! Keep it up! Full power!" The newly evolved Kakuna fires poisonous barbs, that while not as sharp as they were when it was a Weedle, are far better aimed.
Perseverence - 1 AP to avoid an injury
Critical Moment

AC: [roll0] 2, Poison 17+, Crit 20+

MesiDoomstalker
2015-09-20, 08:10 PM
It's, like, whatever! Same diff! Puppy, keep it up! The Lillipup charged, dealing 29 Physical Normal Damage.

Esprit15
2015-09-20, 08:34 PM
"You did well, Yellow Jacket. I'm proud of you," Gwen says as she recalls the Kakuna. He was getting a nice rest after this. "Alright Fireweed, let's show them!" She lets out the Budew. "Start strong, Dazzling Gleam!"
Brutal Training

Speed 13, which IIRC outspeeds. Ignore if not.
Special, Fairy
AC: [roll0] 2, 19+ Crit

MesiDoomstalker
2015-09-20, 08:43 PM
The Lillipup yelped as the blast hit him hard. Puppy no! One last go! Tackle The Lillipup charged, dealing 32 Physical Normal Damage.

Esprit15
2015-09-20, 08:52 PM
"Good try, but not enough! Absorb! Heal that right back!"
Brutal

Special, Grass
AC: [roll0] 2, 19+ Crit

MesiDoomstalker
2015-09-20, 09:00 PM
The pup growled weakly, the drain sapping the last of his strength. Awww poo! You win! You won't be able to beat Whitney though! She's, like, soooooooooooooo much stronger than me! And way cuter than you too! With a defiant harumph, she gave you the standard prize money, ^1,000. Before stomping off in a huff.

30 EXP each and 1 TXP

Esprit15
2015-09-20, 09:15 PM
"What happened to three versus three? Or are you calling it quits early?" Gwen says, calling over Fireweed and petting the grass type. "You and Yellow Jacket did awesome."

MesiDoomstalker
2015-09-20, 09:26 PM
She was already gone by the time you questioned her. The Kakuna chittered weekly in your arms.

Esprit15
2015-09-20, 09:35 PM
"And let's not forget you," she says to the bug type in her arms. "I am very proud of how you did, evolving like that mid fight."Fireweed hits 13, learns Mega Drain

Yellow Jacket hits 10

MesiDoomstalker
2015-09-20, 10:12 PM
You take care of Yellow Jacket, having a small celebration in an equally small park on the east side of the city. Eventually, you retire to the Center. You pass peacefully into your sleep, waking up refreshed in the morning. The Nurse had restored your team to perfect health the night before. Today was the day of your first Gym battle!

Esprit15
2015-09-20, 10:55 PM
Gwen trains with her team early in the morning, sparing with Spine while Yellow Jacket and Fireweed trade blows. After a solid hour, they rest in the park from the day before. Sure, they could strain their selves more, or they could come into the battle relaxed and fresh. She opted for the latter.

MesiDoomstalker
2015-10-04, 04:49 PM
As you return to the strip mall, the crowd parts for you. There are hushed whispers, giddy squeaks and mumbled half-threats from the anxious crowd. Following the spectator-made route, you reach the arena's which have been changed to a somewhat larger arena. You note its not nearly as big as the space would allow. In the center of the arena was Colby and whom you assume is Whitney based on her confident stance. You hear the trail end of one of Colby's rant.

-xt Champion! That's why you will rematch me right now! Otherwise I'll kick your perky little ass out of here when I'm Champion. His face was flushed red and spittle flew. Whitney scoffed, whipping saliva from her cheek. Listen, Colby. Screaming doesn't solve anything. First and foremost, I already have another challenger. Pointing to you. Second. The crowd which had been murmring amongst themselves grew deathly silent. Whitney's confident, calm demanour cracked with the force of an Explosion. NO ONE GETS TO YELL AT ME! GET OUT! With a kick to the groin, Colyb collapses in a death gurgle. A few girls, you recognize as the Gym Trianers, rush out and drag Colby off the field.

Whitney flips her hair, resettling it into a cute look, before beaming a smile at you. Sorry for the delay Gwen! Are you ready for your first Gym Battle!?

Link (https://app.roll20.net/join/119719/D5jAww)
Post your starting mon here. If we can, we can run the battle live, otherwise we'll go through the forum and run Roll20 as a map only.
And finally a new rule which will benefit you; Healing Moves (including [X] Drain), Abilities, and Held Items (but not use items like Potions) grant Temporary HP instaed of actual HP. They stack with each other (but not other Temp HP) and the sum of your actual and Temp HP cannot exceed your Max HP (adjusted for Injuries). The main reason I'm implementing this change as any mon that heals itself during battle runs the very real risk of stacking large number of Injuries quickly by repeatedly passing the 50% HP marker, which is makes no sense.

That being said, have fun! Remember, no Use Items (Potions), only 2 mon.

Esprit15
2015-10-04, 05:57 PM
"Hey, I'm the one who challenged you, right?" Gwen says with a smile, ignoring the other trainer's disappointing display. "And I think we will start this battle with Spine." She lets out the little, purple Pokemon who seems absolutely ready to go.
Speed is 14

Everyone has Brutal and Focused training applied. Also, Yellow Jacket hit 11 in the morning training session.

MesiDoomstalker
2015-10-04, 08:15 PM
As Bubbles fell to the Mega Drain Whitney collapsed to her knees. She sniffled, on the verge of tears. You hear someone in the gathered crowd yell RUN! and the crowd stampeded out of the general vicinity. You still felt hundreds of eyes on you and Whitney, though from various hiding spots.

Whitney sniffled, shakily pulling her self to her feet. She grabbed a case beside her and held it out to you, looking away towards her feet. Here. Its a Badge case, your First Gym Badge, the Plain Badge, and some money. Congrats or whatever.

You beat your first Gym!
You gain 1 milestone!
You gain the Badge Case! It looks nice!
You gain the Plain Badge! It sparkles!
You gain 7,000 Poke!

Esprit15
2015-10-05, 12:27 AM
Gwen picks up the Budew, the little plant Pokemon breathing heavily but still standing. "You are just full of surprises, aren't you? You have absolutely earned some kind of reward."

"Thank you," Gwen says, lowering her head out of respect for the gym leader. "That was a difficult first match. I honestly was unsure whether we could pull through after Spine went down. I'll be back in a few minutes." The young trainer runs off, the same direction that Colby was taken. It looked like she would have to remind him how to treat a lady. Again.

MesiDoomstalker
2015-10-05, 12:43 AM
You head towards the Center, naturally where a failed Gym challenge would take a Trainer. After depositing Fireweed and Spine you ask the Nurse about someone looking like Colby. She said someone stormed in and deposited his pokemon then left in a huff about 10 minutes prior. She heard him muttering about a park, she assumed the National Park to the north. She warned you that the Park was not as safe as it would seem and wouldn't be smart to go without pokemon by your side. Spine and Fireweed would take at least a hour to bring their HP to full, and 3 more to treat their Injuries. Or you could leave right now with just Yellow Jacket.

Esprit15
2015-10-05, 03:49 AM
"I've got a rather tough Kakuna to watch my back," Gwen says, letting out Yellow Jacket. "We can handle ourselves. Thank you, though. We'll watch our backs."

MesiDoomstalker
2015-10-05, 09:36 AM
The nurse didn't stop you. It was you taking the risk, not her. Though she did ask to at least tell the Rangers you were entering the park.

The National Park was a huge expanse of wilderness to the North of Goldenrod. While there was a small section that was maintained closer to a typical city park, further back was true wilderness of old growth forests which reached all the way north to the southern border of Ecurteak. The Ranger on station cautioned you just as the Nurse did and did say Colby had been in a few minutes earlier but couldn't say where he went. The city-park area was relatively small, if he was there you could find him easily. But if he went into the brush, he was likely impossible to find.

Choose city-park area or the forest!
City-Park give me a perception and how you go about trying to find him.
Forest, give me a perception and a luck roll

Esprit15
2015-10-05, 01:31 PM
"Colby! Where are you!?" Gwen calls out in the park. Of course, her voice probably won't carry that far, so she asks people there if they have seen a boy of Colby's description.
[roll0]

MesiDoomstalker
2015-10-06, 01:28 PM
As you call around, a lovely couple tell you about a ranting teen running off into the woods. You chase after him, following the easy trail of all the broken twigs. Tidal, Rollout! You come to a clearing, Colby on the ground as a Tropius squares off with a Maril. While the Maril was holding its own, the Tropius looked barely phased as it dodged away from the rolling pokemon.

Yellow Jacket is definitely slower, its the top of the round but you don't have to show up right now. You can stay hidden.

Esprit15
2015-10-06, 01:37 PM
"Need some help with that?" Gwen calls from the sidelines.

MesiDoomstalker
2015-10-06, 01:40 PM
What!? Where'd you come from!? NO I DON'T NEED YOUR HELP! The Tropius brought a heavy hoof down onto the Marill, causing it to cry out in pain. It responded with a weak water gun that barely registered to the banana-saurus.

Esprit15
2015-10-06, 01:46 PM
"Poison Sting, Yellow Jacket," Gwen instructs the Kakuna.

"Are you sure? Because this is looking like something that Tidal has very little chance of beating."
Poison, Physical
AC: [roll0] 2, Poison on 17+

MesiDoomstalker
2015-10-06, 01:52 PM
The Tropius growled in frustration, turning its attention to Yellow Jacket. It released a spread of leaves dealing 34 Physical Normal damage to Yellow Jacket and Tidal. The Marill fell to the ground defeated. Get out of here Gwen, I can handle this!

Esprit15
2015-10-06, 05:09 PM
"With what, an unconscious Marill?" Gwen shouts back, calling another Poison Sting from the Kakuna. "You're acting like a child."
Brutal Order
AC: [roll0] 2, 16+ Poison, 19+ Crit
If Crit +[roll2]

MesiDoomstalker
2015-10-06, 10:05 PM
The Tropius charged Yellow Jacket in a fury, bringing its hoof down onto Yellow Jacket. The bug's carapace let out a sickening crunch as it collapsed under the Tropius weight. With a surprised yelp, the Tropius bucked up and back, coming back down hard on its forelegs. A giant needle stuck out from Yellow Jacket's gaping wound, a giant bug crawling from the wound as it stretched its new wings, fleck of goop spilling onto the forest floor.

Yellow Jacket evolved! He takes 38 before Evolving. You get 2 actions if your speed is higher than 9

Esprit15
2015-10-06, 11:45 PM
"OH MUK!" Gwen shouts, surprised at the meter tall bee that climbs out of the Kakuna. "Alright, time for some payback! Fury Attack!"
Brutal
Fury Attack
AC: [roll0] 3, 19+ Crit

"Poison Sting!" The Beedrill buzzes angrily, firing toxic barbs at the Tropius.
Brutal
Spoison Sting
AC: [roll3] 2, 16+ Poison, 19+ Crit
Damage: [roll4]
If Crit: +[roll5]

MesiDoomstalker
2015-10-07, 11:17 PM
The Tropius whimpers in pain as the Beedrill's furious assualt. It flaps its giant palm leaves, trying to fly away.

If you want, you can give chase and cut it down to size. Beedrill has much better Sky. Though if you want to catch it, this is your one and only chance.

Esprit15
2015-10-08, 02:50 AM
Gwen tries to toss a ball at the Tropius, though doesn't seem inclined to chase the flying type down with Yellow Jacket in his tired condition.
Spend 1 AP
[roll0]

MesiDoomstalker
2015-10-10, 01:54 PM
The ball snapped shut, ringing a successful capture before it hit the ground. Colby stalked past you, his shoulder checking yours. He growled I told you I don't need your help.

Esprit15
2015-10-10, 03:44 PM
"Really? So what was your plan when your Marill went down? You didn't send anything else out. And furthermore," she kicks the boy in a very soft spot, "what in the Void was wrong with you earlier!? You acted absolutely disgracefully in front of Whitney! I was ashamed to know you when I saw that!"

MesiDoomstalker
2015-10-10, 03:52 PM
Colby fell back to the ground, again, holding his most sensitive area. Speak for yourself! Kicking a guy there! That botch cheated! There were traps all over that arena! It wasn't fair! I would have won if she didn't cheat! He staggers to his feet, shuffling away and pointedly guarding himself. Just stay out of my way Gwen. You'll just slow me down.

Esprit15
2015-10-10, 04:09 PM
"Shocking. A test, designed to test you, was harder than it looked. That was the point of the gym - not everything is as it seems, things aren't always easy. Did you not think to track what the traps did and make use of them? Or did you make a blind rush even after seeing something was odd about the arena?

Fine, have fun being angry. When you want to act like an adult, feel free to call me. Here's your Tropius, by the way," she says, casually tossing the ball at the boy. "Take care of it. Maybe rechallenge Whiteny with something that won't set off her traps." Gwen turns to leave, not letting the boy's sour attitude ruin her otherwise awesome day. She'd been out a while, maybe her team was recovered by now... Kinda funny, she'll be getting two Pokemon back and dropping another off. Oh! And they can apply that Brick Break TM for her!

MesiDoomstalker
2015-10-10, 04:24 PM
Colby didn't respond. He just glared at you. You didn't see if he picked up the ball or not. By the time you were back to the Center, it was night time though the copious lights and neon signs kept the streets bright and lively. The Nurse greeted you, wondering if you found your friend. After retrieving Fireweed and Spine and giving her the TM and Yellow Jacket.

The next day came quickly. Retrieving Yellow Jacket, the Nurse informs you that Colby never came last night. The Center deposited his Pokemon into his PC for him. But it was a new day, with a fresh team and a shiny new badge. Where was Gwen off to?

Esprit15
2015-10-10, 04:46 PM
Well the most efficient path would be the go north to Ekruteak, then cover the east gyms before coming back around to Mahogany and Blackthorn. Barring anything to slow her down, that's the path Gwen takes!

...after stopping off at the store for some more supplies. (I'll be buying Pokéballs, but I like to do that kind of stuff from my computer, and this gives you more time to think about what to do with her path)

MesiDoomstalker
2015-10-19, 12:20 AM
You had some options. You could take the Route 35 to Route 36 onwards to Ecruteak. Or you could stop over in the National Park and partake of its unique features like the Bug Catching Contest... or something.

If you take the Routes, you can go straight to Ecruteak (only luck roll for a chance encounter) and get there by the next morning.
Or you can take your time, it'll take 2 days (this will result in expending 1 bandage per 2 mon) but can train or catch mon. You get 3 instances; each instance is another use of Training (as per normal training rules) or a wild mon. You get a new compliment of instances each day, since your taking your time. Going straight to Ecruteak takes all your instances.

Going to the National Park counts of at least 1 instance and can be combo'ed with the above options as you see fit. The Bug Catching Contest is 2 Instances.

Esprit15
2015-10-19, 12:55 AM
Hm... The Bug Catching Contest does sound rather fun, even if she had a plenty reliable bug already. Maybe she'd find something cool, like a Pinsir or a Larvesta.

MesiDoomstalker
2015-10-25, 08:42 PM
You make your way to the Park, arriving a few minutes before the contest started. You catch the tail end of the instructions, but they were pretty intuitive anyways.

Ok everyone. You have twenty minutes to find some bugs. You roll a d6 to see how long it takes you to find a pokemon to fight. If you want to, you can spend more than one d6 to head deeper into the forest to find better bugs. If you go over 20 mins, or roll dice more than 5 times (just in-case someone keeps rolling ones and twos), it's game over. And I'll also need a 2d10 roll to see how rare a pokemon you find. If you don't like the pokemon you find, you can spend another d6 to go hunting again. Also, if you run out of balls or your pokemon faints, unless you have potions/revives, it's game over (also note: revives are instant, potions are not).

Here is an example. Romeo starts his hunt, and wants to find something as fast as possible. He bets 1 d6, and rolls a 2, then rolls a 7 on the 2d10 roll. He doesn't head in far, and finds a Metapod. He spends two park balls catching it, but has wasted 2 minutes finding it. Seeing he needs something better, Romeo bets 3d6s this time, and gets a 3, a 6 and a 1. He spends 10 minutes walking further in, then rolls and gets a 6 on his 2d10. This time, he finds a Dwebble, which is a bit better than a metapod despite getting a slightly lower roll since he was further in. He spends another ball and catches that one, replacing the Metapod. He has 8 minutes left, so he rolls 2 more d6. If he rolls a 9 he's finished, but he gets an 8. His luck roll is a 17. He finds a Scyther, but it avoids his pokemon and KOs it before he can catch it. He ends with the Dwebble, which he keeps, but places 4th.

If you failed to understand that: you get 6 balls and can only use one pokemon. bet more d6 without rolling over 20 to get better pokemon, then roll a 2d10 to see what you find. If you roll over 20 mins, faint or run out of balls, game over. Any questions, ask away.

And please state which pokemon you've got out with you.

Esprit15
2015-10-26, 03:25 AM
After all of five seconds of deliberation, Gwen chooses Fireweed to help her through the bug catching contest.
Time: [roll0]

Rarity: [roll1]

MesiDoomstalker
2015-11-02, 10:27 PM
You head into the forest, picking through the path you followed the night before and quickly leaving it behind. Your progress is halted as you run headlong into a sticky web, ensnaring your facing for a brief moment of confusion. You hear a threatening hiss as a scary looking Spinarak waves its forelegs at you for ruining its web.

Esprit15
2015-11-02, 10:39 PM
Gwen gives an awkward wave up at the spider. "Um... Hi?" Fireweed gives a small cheep from the girl's arms. "Right, catching! Dazzling Gleam!" The Budew lets out a flash of bright light at the bug.
Fairy, Special
AC: [roll0]

MesiDoomstalker
2015-11-02, 10:45 PM
Fireweed's dazzingly flash looked really cool! Too bad the Spinarak ignored it completely, firing a poisoned barb in return for 15 Physical Poison damage.

Esprit15
2015-11-02, 10:50 PM
Fireweed seems none too happy to be hit by poisonous barbs, and so retaliates with a wave of powder blown toward the spider.
Stun Spore
Paralyze

MesiDoomstalker
2015-11-02, 10:55 PM
The spider spasmed as the inhaled spores worked their paralytic magic. It managed to right itself and fire another barb for 16 Physical Poison.

Esprit15
2015-11-02, 11:06 PM
"Nice, now hit it with another Dazzling Gleam!" As soon as the Budew attacks, Gwen tosses a ball at the Spinarak.
Fairy, Special
AC: [roll0]

Park Ball
AC: [roll3] 6
Capture [roll4] Don't know modifiers

MesiDoomstalker
2015-11-02, 11:10 PM
The Spinarak skitters in pain. It decides you aren't worth the trouble, scurrying away from your ball.

You have one last chance.

Esprit15
2015-11-03, 05:12 AM
"Oh no you don't! Get back here!"

MesiDoomstalker
2015-11-25, 11:45 PM
The ball snaps shut on the Spinarak, shaking once before dinging on contact with the forest floor.

Level 10, male

Esprit15
2015-11-26, 03:01 AM
Gwen smiles at the Spinarak's ball. Perhaps she would use another Bug type. Certainly it would work until something else came along. Still, perhaps she could do better. Scooping up Fireweed, she continues on, deeper into the park.
Time: [roll0]

Rarity: [roll1]

MesiDoomstalker
2015-11-26, 12:00 PM
You wonder deeper and deeper into the forest. You stop suddenly when an orange glow appears in your peripheral vision. Whipping around, you see a small blaze catching on some underbrush. Before you can decide what you will do with the start of this forest inferno, you hear the sound of metallic clicking. A giant, roughly bipedal red pokemon with pincers for hands stares at you threateningly, sandwiching between you and the starting blaze.

Esprit15
2015-12-27, 05:36 AM
"Seriously? Who lets out something like that in a bug catching contest?" the girl shouts, out of shock and fear. "Stun Spore!"
Spend 1 AP to boost accuracy
Standard: Focused Orders
Shift: RUN PAST IT AND GTFO

Stun Spore
Paralyze

MesiDoomstalker
2015-12-31, 11:35 AM
The mantid moves with terrifying speed, smacking you once with a claw in a rapid swipe as you ran past for 25 Physical Normal damage. Fireweed's spores coat its skin and it noticeably shakes as it fights to control it body. You think yourself free as the distance between you and the mantid widens. You hazard a look over your shoulder, but the mantid was nowhere to be seen! You whip your head around only to see its fierce eyes staring you down. With no time to react, the mantid brings its pincers to bear, slashing at you. Fireweed, however, is quicker than you, jumping from your arms into the attack, taking 43 Physical Dark damage.

Please

Esprit15
2015-12-31, 06:28 PM
Fireweed holds on, though barely. "Hang in there, girl! Can you still pull off one more attack?" The Budew nods, flashing a blinding light if her trainer's attempt to capture the Scizor fails.
Capture: [roll1] (I don't know the modifier off the top of my head)

Dazzling Gleam
Fairy, Special
AC: [roll2] 2, Crit on 19-21
Damage: [roll3]
If Crit: +[roll4]

MesiDoomstalker
2016-01-01, 11:41 PM
Fireweed's blast of pretty colors slammed into the Scizor with surprising force. But something was wrong. The mantid's form wavered and shimmered in the attack, before collapsing. Left in its wake was a substantially smaller quadruped. It was most definitely a bug. It stood about 0.7m tall, with a dark forest green carapace. It glowred at you with unblinking, red faceted eyes that emanated fear and loathing. Oddly, its general body shape was unlike most Bug types, it's body didn't seem to be segmented into 3 parts but only 2, abdomen and head. Its legs were also short and stubby, with only a single joint instead of the typical 3 or 6 ending in 4 forward facing pincers. Its head was disproportionately large compared to its body, with excessively large mandibles that almost resembled a snout. Above its eyes were 2 sets of double antenna , flanking some kind of fin or headdress that jutted straight from its forehead, swooping backwards. From its abdomen's rear end jutted a long, segmented stinger, similar to a Skorupi or Drapions, though it ended in a single barb instead of 2 pincers.

You get this all in the glimpse before the ball collided with the Pokemon. It shook thrice before subsiding. Your pokedex whirred as it attempted to register the Pokemon and match it against its registry. It only came back with an error message.

Esprit15
2016-01-02, 01:00 AM
"Oh? And what on earth are you?" the girl says to the ball, completely forgetting the Spinarak that she had caught moments before.
Hell yeah I'm keeping this one.

MesiDoomstalker
2016-01-02, 01:20 AM
Even with your knowledge of Bug pokemon, its not one you know of. It is not unheard of for new pokemon to be discovered, but in the National Park? It's a well trodden area and an area frequented by Pokemon researchers for years for its unique ecosystem in the greater Kanto-Johto region. As you contemplate, you realize the time limit is drawing to a close. You think you could get one more chance if you wanted before the time limit, if your lucky.

Esprit15
2016-01-02, 01:23 AM
Doubting that she would find something more interesting that the weird, scorpion thing, Gwen heads back to the main area to report her capture.

MesiDoomstalker
2016-01-02, 01:53 AM
You return, seeing most of the other participants milling about, murmuring to each other comparing notes on captures and where they were found. You turn your two park balls in and after the snippy official re-explained the rules and released the Spinarak for you, she took the weird mon and stalked away to the judges panel.

A large digital clock counted down the last few seconds, some dashed into the judging area waving a Park ball frantically. Wait! I have a my capture right here! You notice his clothes are cut, torn and stained with blood. The official snapped up the ball, muttering about last minute entries as a klaxon blares, signalling the end of the contest.

After about a half an hour, the judges return. You had not seen the judges before the contest started, but now they came forward, holding 3 identical Park Balls. The first step forward, a middle aged man in an old-timey safari outfit. You vaguely remember him as the owner of the Safari Zone out on Ciannwood Island, though his name escapes you. Why he was here and not there is beyond you.

In third place, I present Mathew's Pinsir! On cue, the Pinsir came out of the ball. It was big, for a Pinsir, which made it all the threatening. A man in his 20s runs up on stage and shakes the judges hand. It was obvious on his face he was expecting to win with his oversized Pinsir.

The next two judges step forth. One is Viola, the Bug Gym Leader from Kalos. The other you don't recognize, though you presume based on his Ranger uniform, worked here at the National Park. We have a first here today! For the first time ever, we have a tie for first place! With a Scizor each, Gwen and Stephen! The man with ripped, bloody clothes ran up the stage, noticeably bandaged. Viola and the Ranger released both pokemon, displaying the familiar menacing Scizor, twice over. The both snapped their pincers threateningly but Viola pulled out a small device, clicking it twice. While still looking agitated, the Scizors stood still and did not attack as they seemed to want to.

Esprit15
2016-01-02, 02:01 AM
"But I didn't catch a Scizor. It just was pretending to be a Scizor," Gwen says, confused as she stands up to be acknowledged. "I mean, yay, I won, and that is the ball I used, but... It did this when I fought it, too."

MesiDoomstalker
2016-01-02, 02:12 AM
Viola cocked her head quizzically. But it is clearly a Scizor. The Ranger meanwhile, was studying the two Scizors, who twitched in anticipation. Without looking, Viola clicked the device once more. I dunno Viola. I know we looked at them both individually earlier, but take a closer look. Viola took out a camera, the lens oscillating as it focused on different parts of the two menacing bugs. But.... they're identical! She looked between you and the Ranger incredulously.

Gwen was it? You said its disguising itself as a Scizor? What did you do to make it loose its disguise?

Esprit15
2016-01-02, 02:28 AM
"I attacked it, so that I could weaken and capture it," she says, matter of factly.

MesiDoomstalker
2016-01-02, 02:50 AM
Well, I don't think that will be necessary. Viola dug through her camera bag, pulling out a long lens and afixing it to her camera. She aimed the camera, at the two Scizors, the lens lengthening, revealing fainting glowing symbols. The camera clicked as the picture was taken. She turned the display around, showing one Scizor and one.... thing, though they appeared in negative. Mon dieu! So it is not a Scizor! But... what is it? The Ranger grabbed the camera studying it. I have no idea. But, I'd say its a Bug. I would agree with you there.

Attention! There is a slight change in the rankings! Stephen's Scizor is second place and Gwen's undiscovered Bug type is first! There was a roar of applause as the final results were tallied, and Stephan looked more than agitated at losing. Viola took you to the side I've never seen a Bug Type like this one. Would you mind if I took a few pictures of it? I might finally be able to get one over on that snob Burgh.

Esprit15
2016-01-02, 03:02 AM
"Of course. Take all the pictures you need," Gwen says. "So... We don't know anything about it. Um... Anything I should watch out for?"