PDA

View Full Version : Language translation

Raziel07
2015-08-18, 06:11 PM
Hello all domo arigato, i have seen the handbooks posted here and i would like to translate them to my native language and post them here for people to see and use as they like, is there a problem with that?

2015-08-18, 06:29 PM
Beyond the at best debatable and at worst blatantly illegal nature of posting translations of copywrited material, there's something in the forum rules (IIRC) about this being a primarily English-speaking forum; while occasional bits of non-English language slip into posts without anybody taking issue with it, large blocks of non-English text would likely draw a negative reaction.

Also, as mentioned, this strikes me as potentially illegal, or at least illegal-adjacent. My advice, if you're looking for clarification on this matter, would be to ask the mods more directly by posting your question in the "Rules Questions" sub-forum.

EDIT: For clarification, while I'm only about 85% sure about the forum rules forbidding large blocks of non-English text, I'm about 100% sure they forbid illegal activity.

EDIT 2: After re-reading your post, I realized that you were probably talking about the char-op handbooks more than the Player's Handbook, as I originally thought I'd read. Regardless, the point about foreign language posts stands, and you're probably better off consulting the forum rules on this matter, or asking in the rules questions sub-forum if it's not clarified in the rules.

Raziel07
2015-08-18, 07:14 PM
Yes iam talking about the char-op handbooks, and i know this is a english forum which is why i am asking the question on english, i wish to use here as base because the forum structure is flexibe and make a good place to read

JoeJ
2015-08-18, 07:21 PM
Instead of asking here, you should go ask Wizards of the Coast if they'd be open to something like that. (My guess would be no, but I might be wrong.) If they give permission, you can go ahead without any legal problems whatsoever.

Slipperychicken
2015-08-18, 07:27 PM
Instead of asking here, you should go ask Wizards of the Coast if they'd be open to something like that. (My guess would be no, but I might be wrong.) If they give permission, you can go ahead without any legal problems whatsoever.

He's seems to be talking about fan-written class guides, rather than official material.

JoeJ
2015-08-18, 07:31 PM
He's seems to be talking about fan-written class guides, rather than official material.

Ah, right. Ignore what I wrote, then.

rollingForInit
2015-08-19, 02:59 AM
As for posting them in general (not here specifically): as the people who wrote them if that's okay.