PDA

View Full Version : Buckler and Two Handed Weapons

SITB
2007-05-08, 06:00 AM
Can I use a Buckler while fighting with a Two-Handed weapon, and will the Buckler still provide it's bonuses while doing so ?

Are there any penalties ?

daggaz
2007-05-08, 06:24 AM
You should put quick questions like this in the sticky for Simple Questions and Answers, to help keep the forum clear.... but otherwise here is your answer.

SRD says, "...You can also use your shield arm to wield a weapon (whether you are using an off-hand weapon or using your off hand to help wield a two-handed weapon), but you take a -1 penalty on attack rolls while doing so..." about bucklers.

So yes, you can 2hand with a buckler, but you take a -1 to attack while doing so.

Bender
2007-05-08, 07:13 AM
but you lose your bonus to AC when doing so

Marius
2007-05-08, 08:00 AM
Unless you take a feat, I think it was "Improved Buckler Defense".

Toxic Avenger
2007-05-08, 11:00 AM
Yes, that's right; Improved Buckler Defense allows you to benefit from the AC bonus provided by the Buckler, while also wielding a weapon with your shield arm. The feat is found in Complete Warrior, IIRC.

Also, most of the DM's with which I have played have house-ruled that a Masterwork Buckler does not impose an attack penalty when one wields a weapon with the shield arm. It makes sense to me, considering that Masterwork Bucklers have no Armor Check Penalty, as opposed to the -1 ACP of standard Bucklers.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-05-08, 12:41 PM
Also, most of the DM's with which I have played have house-ruled that a Masterwork Buckler does not impose an attack penalty when one wields a weapon with the shield arm. It makes sense to me, considering that Masterwork Bucklers have no Armor Check Penalty, as opposed to the -1 ACP of standard Bucklers.

Apart from the fact that DnD bucklers make no sense.

I think this combo only really makes sense with a bastard sword.

Jarchh
2007-05-08, 12:44 PM
Why not just get an animated shield? All the bonus, but hands free..

Attilargh
2007-05-08, 12:54 PM
Some characters actually have a budget.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-05-08, 01:08 PM
Some characters actually have a budget.

Some characters also have DMs that don't let them buy whatever they want just because it's in the books.

Jarchh
2007-05-08, 05:18 PM
Hehe.. fair enough.. the budget thing is a downer.. but a +1 animated shield is only like 9000gp, so thats easily affordable by 7th/8th level.. even less if you have a nice gm or play a kensai. As for the not allowing it.. I cant see why not.. a +2 bonus to do what it does.. balances out how useful it is really...

daggaz
2007-05-08, 05:31 PM
Heh except for the pure cheese of it, I would jump at the chance to have a free shield just floating around me all day. Not worth it? A free +2 shield bonus ac? With no penalty except for the 9k gp and the overt silliness of it if you arent in a really high magic campaign? Yes please...

Jarchh
2007-05-08, 05:49 PM
Yeah it's good but compare it to other bonus that you can get for a similar price.. such as just a straight bonus to your armors ac instead or a +3 shield that you wield instead of a +1 one that you dont have to.. ahh well I guess it's just a flavour thing.. personally I wouldnt use it but thats more because recently I've only been playing casters.. If I had a build it worked it.. it's a nice little trick.. similar to the wielding of a defending weapon even if you have no intention of using it.

Marius
2007-05-08, 08:24 PM
Actually is too good. It makes sword and board builds even more weak vs two handed weapons.

the_tick_rules
2007-05-08, 08:44 PM
improved buckler defense is an awesome feat.