PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other 3.5 Custom Spell - Caro’s Blood Call - PEACH

kalos72
2015-08-19, 01:54 AM
First time REALLY putting a new spell to paper like this so take it easy please. :)

I truly winged some of it...with no real clue on what to base it on. THANKS!

Caro’s Blood Call
Divination (Ritual)
Level:Wiz 7
Components: V, S, F, M, XP
Casting Time:1 Day
Range:Touch
Target:Willing creature touched
Duration:up to 5 Days
Saving Throw:None
Spell Resistance:No

Either the caster or a participant is allowed to send up to 2 messages each of 25 words or less, similar to the spell Messages, to any creature that carries the bloodline of the “donor”, twice a day for up to 5 days.

A drop of blood is used to identify the required bloodline during the initial casting. At least one member of the Ritual Circle MUST stay focused and concentrating on the spell for each day the messages are being repeated.

The messages will be received as a whisper, but fully audible regardless of surroundings. It can circumvent any physical barrier assuming there is a clear path, doors and other mundane physical barriers will not block the receipt of the messages. Magic barriers protecting against mind-affecting spells and effects will block the passage of the message although the caster will know of the failure and can attempt to re-try sending the message as often as necessary withing those 5 days from initial casting.

Material Component - Two crushed sapphires of at least 1000gpv, short piece of fine copper wire and a drop of blood

XP Cost - 50XP Any ritual participant can pay the XP cost.

kalos72
2015-08-19, 08:07 AM
Wrong forum perhaps?

I am sure I can't have this correct on the first go around. :P

Nifft
2015-08-19, 08:35 AM
I can't quite work out when anyone would want to use this.

Is it supposed to be used as a notification service for family-based organizations? Or is it supposed to mass-email all of a dragon's descendants to let them know you kicked their ancient ancestor's ass?

kalos72
2015-08-19, 08:53 AM
Haha....great ideas actually. ;)

My design is to let anyone in a certain family/clan/bloodline, like that of a famous Dwarven Clan long thought dead, know that an heir has been found and for others that carry the bloodline to come help reform the clan or that the lost patriarch of an elven noble house of a long lost empire was "getting the band back together" and calling its house members to come back home.

My campaign is based on 3 lost families/clans/civilizations and the return of heirs to those groups returning to Faerun as a central Sword Coast power group.

I had thought about just using word of mouth, scryers in major cities to talk about the return of the lost clans but thought that was very boring. :P

Nifft
2015-08-20, 01:49 AM
So, I guess the question becomes: why a spell, and not an item or ritual?

A more Dwarfish thing to do might be to create three linked stone tablets, and whatever is carved into one will appear on the other two.

Space is limited, and carving takes a lot of time, so they use short messages.

kalos72
2015-08-20, 08:50 AM
The idea is that not everyone knows they might be Clan Ironstar or House Audark for example. And my character won't know where every descendant of the line lives.

This spell is to search out people of the particular bloodline used in the casting, even if the person themselves does not know they have that blood in them. And where ever they are on the Plane...hence the idea this would need to Divination.

Does the level, XP cost and effect even make sense given that desired effect?

I suppose you could just scry for this information but you would be doing it one person at a time I would think...

Nifft
2015-08-20, 09:18 AM
Hmm.

IMHO the problematic parts are:
- The duration. It's weird that it can be kept going for days. Can a PC with a bunch of Followers just have three of those disposable minions do the chanting stuff in shifts all week? Is that okay?
- The XP and material component cost. It's a high level spell which has no combat utility.
- What does the (Ritual) tag mean? That's a 5e thing, not a 3.5e thing, unless you backported those rules.

If you really want it to be limited to finding the heirs of the last king, maybe just have the "spell" be a feature of the crown itself. Like, the crown is a magic item, and when you put it on the head of a corpse, you can communicate with all of that corpse's bloodline.

kalos72
2015-08-20, 09:24 AM
Duration was an attempt to give the spell a few attempts...if you hear the message every day for a week your more likely to take it seriously. The ritual was to allow it the 5 days duration AND not to lock up your primary caster for 5 days casting the damn thing.

Wasn't sure how the Ritual played into 3.5...between High Magic and Red Wizard circles there are some cannon references to this type of spell. But again, just a blind jab at it really.

I could remove the ritual and lower the duration and just force the caster to do it multiple times if they want the 5 tries effect....reduce the cast time and the cost then as well?

Nifft
2015-08-20, 10:34 AM
If it's literally just a restricted mass sending, then I'd take away the XP cost and expensive material component, and just have it be a thing that someone casts every day until they find the next heir.

As a mass sending effect, level 7 is fine.

Make the focus a corpse which has been dead less than one week.

kalos72
2015-08-20, 11:50 AM
Well the intent was that it would go all at once to every living creature that carried that bloodline inside him. So anyone, any where on the plane would get the same message at the same time. Again, one at a time could take a long while, although I dont know for sure how many are left.

Perhaps just make it the 2 messages of 25 words or less once per cast? If I really want everyone to get it every day for 5 days, cast it every day for 5 days. Done.

REVISED:
Caro’s Blood Call
Divination
Level:Wiz 7
Components: V, S, F, M, XP
Casting Time:1 Hour
Range:Touch
Target:Willing creature touched
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw:None
Spell Resistance:No

Either the caster or a participant is allowed to send up to 2 messages each of 25 words or less, similar to the spell Messages, to any creature that carries the bloodline of the “donor”.

A drop of blood is used to identify the required bloodline during the initial casting.

The messages will be received as a whisper, but fully audible regardless of surroundings. It can circumvent any physical barrier assuming there is a clear path, doors and other mundane physical barriers will not block the receipt of the messages. Magic barriers protecting against mind-affecting spells and effects will block the passage of the message although the caster will know of the failure and can attempt to re-try sending the message.

Material Component - One crushed sapphires of at least 1000gpv, short piece of fine copper wire and a drop of blood

Nifft
2015-08-20, 03:32 PM
Looks better to me (except the material component), but you should probably get another opinion. :smile:

kalos72
2015-08-20, 06:44 PM
Thanks! Anyone else have an opinion here please?