PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A [RAW] Yet another golem immunity question...

WalkingTheShade
2015-08-19, 04:54 AM
I am confused and can't unearth the information I need. I see conflicting opinions on the subject.

A force golem (Monster Manual V) has immunity to magic and an intelligence score.

1. Can such a creature "lower" its magic immunity in order to receive friendly spells, in the same way a creature with SR can?

2. In the event such a creature takes class levels as a psychic warrior, can it use powers on itself?

SkipSandwich
2015-08-19, 06:20 AM
1) Spell immunity works just like you had infinitely high SR, so an inteligent creature can supress it temporally to allow beneficial effects through

2) this one depends on the magic-psionics transparency ruling for the game, but by default SR works just like PR and the golem would have to supress thier immuity in order to manifest powers that are blocked by PR

WalkingTheShade
2015-08-19, 07:17 AM
Thank you for your answers. Could you give me a RAW source for each one?

Psyren
2015-08-19, 08:37 AM
1) This is highly contested and will ultimately come down to a DM call. Personally I do not think magic immunity can be "lowered," any more than a red dragon can lower its fire immunity.

2) the answer you got here is incorrect - there is no "lowering" required, the creature's own powers and spells will always work. "A creature’s spell resistance never interferes with its own spells, items, or abilities." This is under the SR entry from the MM, and SR is subject to transparency, so this rule will apply to PR (and powers and immunities) as well.

Urpriest
2015-08-19, 09:06 AM
Regarding lowering immunity, there is an oft-contested passage that states that even a character with a special resistance to magic can willingly accept a spell's effect. It gives the example of an elf's "resistance" to sleep effects. Since this is actually an immunity, people interpret this as saying that one can willingly lower an immunity in order to accept a spell, rather than as saying that the WotC writers know less about the game they wrote than the average player.

WalkingTheShade
2015-08-19, 11:21 AM
Thank you both. Now it's clear why it wasn't so clear.