PDA

View Full Version : Hunter's mark weapon damage

spartan_ah
2015-08-19, 06:14 AM
Does hunter's mark's extra damage dice counts for a weapon damage as in half orc savage attacker and GWF?

CNagy
2015-08-19, 07:12 AM
No for Savage Attacks but yes for Great Weapon Fighting. The determining factor is whether the ability refers to the weapon's damage dice or the attack's damage dice. If it refer to the weapon's damage dice, then it is referring to the base damage of the weapon. If it refers to the attack's damage dice, then it is all dice involved in the attack.

spartan_ah
2015-08-20, 06:26 AM
No for Savage Attacks but yes for Great Weapon Fighting. The determining factor is whether the ability refers to the weapon's damage dice or the attack's damage dice. If it refer to the weapon's damage dice, then it is referring to the base damage of the weapon. If it refers to the attack's damage dice, then it is all dice involved in the attack.

got a reply from mearls...
does count for all, savage attack and GWF.. means half orc crits 3 dice of hunters mark. and he can reroll 1s and 2s...
made my paladin just a bit more awesome

Malifice
2015-08-20, 06:34 AM
got a reply from mearls...
does count for all, savage attack and GWF.. means half orc crits 3 dice of hunters mark. and he can reroll 1s and 2s...
made my paladin just a bit more awesome

Savage Attack allows you to roll a single weapon damage dice on a crit.

Not roll all all of them.

So an Orc with hunters mark up and GWM style using a great axe deals a crit.

He deals 3d12+2d6 plus strength damage. He can re-roll 1 and 2s from GWM style.

spartan_ah
2015-08-20, 07:04 AM

good point

Malifice
2015-08-20, 07:10 AM
good point

You'll also re-roll 1s and 2s (and double on a crit) any smite dice you choose to apply.

Although I do find GWF can be a bit of overkill. Long sword plus smite plus hunters Mark is more than enough and the benefits of a shield (and protection fighting style) are more useful.

Disadvantage on an attack is huge. It's an effective -5 to hit an ally, and it reduces the crit chance frm 1/20 to 1/400.

Even just a shield. Ask your DM to record the times you got hit by 1 or 2 over a session of 3 or 4 encounters. Record the damage taken seperately and compare to the extra damage dealt from a great weapon. I bet the damage 'in' far outweighs the extra damage 'out'.

spartan_ah
2015-08-20, 09:04 AM
You'll also re-roll 1s and 2s (and double on a crit) any smite dice you choose to apply.

Although I do find GWF can be a bit of overkill. Long sword plus smite plus hunters Mark is more than enough and the benefits of a shield (and protection fighting style) are more useful.

Disadvantage on an attack is huge. It's an effective -5 to hit an ally, and it reduces the crit chance frm 1/20 to 1/400.

Even just a shield. Ask your DM to record the times you got hit by 1 or 2 over a session of 3 or 4 encounters. Record the damage taken seperately and compare to the extra damage dealt from a great weapon. I bet the damage 'in' far outweighs the extra damage 'out'.

sage advice says reroll is just weapon damage and not smite damage...
and I beg to differ, as a level1 fighter, level 11 paladin of vengence half orc, I find the polearm master the best weapon choice all in all...

Malifice
2015-08-20, 09:09 AM
and I beg to differ, as a level1 fighter, level 11 paladin of vengence half orc, I find the polearm master the best weapon choice all in all...

Nice for damage but like I said - overkill more often than not.

Can you link me to the sage advice? The one I read claimed you reroll the 1 and 2s on those too.

PoeticDwarf
2015-08-20, 11:13 AM

He can re-roll 1 and 2s from GWM style from the 3d12 I would say.

coredump
2015-08-20, 11:28 AM
Not that I have ever seen. Do you have a link for that?

Malifice
2015-08-20, 02:21 PM
Not that I have ever seen. Do you have a link for that?

I distinctly recall seeing a saga advice that said the opposite. Reroll all of them that come up 1 or 2 - even the smite dice.

MeeposFire
2015-08-21, 12:12 AM
I distinctly recall seeing a saga advice that said the opposite. Reroll all of them that come up 1 or 2 - even the smite dice.

Remember Mearls and Crawford are not of the same mind on rulings so you may have seen a tweet or post from one earlier and then the other may have made a different ruling later and posted it.

Malifice
2015-08-21, 12:22 AM
Remember Mearls and Crawford are not of the same mind on rulings so you may have seen a tweet or post from one earlier and then the other may have made a different ruling later and posted it.

For sure, but the wording of GWF indicates it's all dice attached, and the one tweet I have seen certainly backs that interpretation up.

If there is another tweet I would be interested to see it.

HoarsHalberd
2015-08-21, 04:53 AM
For sure, but the wording of GWF indicates it's all dice attached, and the one tweet I have seen certainly backs that interpretation up.

If there is another tweet I would be interested to see it.

http://www.sageadvice.eu/2014/10/06/great-weapon-smite/ It's a no from Mearls. Can't find a tweet from Crawford on the matter yet.

Malifice
2015-08-21, 07:30 AM
http://www.sageadvice.eu/2014/10/06/great-weapon-smite/ It's a no from Mearls. Can't find a tweet from Crawford on the matter yet.

Ah thanks. Hadnt seen that.

spartan_ah
2015-08-21, 01:26 PM
Check out @mikemearls's Tweet: https://twitter.com/mikemearls/status/634169920754835456?s=09