PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A What level is the Aasimar's Daylight spell-like ability?

walrusman
2015-08-19, 07:26 AM
Daylight (Sp): An aasimar can use daylight once per day as a 1st-level caster or a caster of his class levels, whichever is higher.

That's from the SRD. Daylight is a 3rd level spell. So you are casting it as a 1st level caster but its a 3rd level spell like ability?

Main concern: Would this qualify for the Paragnostic Apostle's requirement:

Spellcasting: Able to cast 3rd-level spells or use spell-like abilities of equivalent level.

Uniquoi
2015-08-19, 07:31 AM
The first-level caster part of it refers to CL, so you'd have Daylight cast at CL 1. This doesn't stop it from being a third-level spell, as far as I know.

Whether it counts for Paragnostic Apostle is probably up to your DM.

Urpriest
2015-08-19, 08:24 AM
If you're playing in 3.5, the Complete Arcane rules explicitly say that "Able to cast 3rd-level spells or use spell-like abilities of equivalent level" can't be satisfied by spell-like abilities, so there's no confusion there. If you're playing PF, my understanding is that this used to work, but was removed in a FAQ.

Chronos
2015-08-19, 08:37 AM
A requirement of "can cast 3rd-level spells" can't be met by a spell-like ability. But when Paragnostic Apostle goes on to say "...or use spell-like abilities of equivalent level", that's pretty clear. Daylight is a spell-like ability of 3rd level, you can use Daylight, therefore you can use a spell-like ability of 3rd level.

Psyren
2015-08-19, 08:47 AM
A requirement of "can cast 3rd-level spells" can't be met by a spell-like ability. But when Paragnostic Apostle goes on to say "...or use spell-like abilities of equivalent level", that's pretty clear. Daylight is a spell-like ability of 3rd level, you can use Daylight, therefore you can use a spell-like ability of 3rd level.

This - if a PrC explicitly says you can use SLAs to enter, then you can use SLAs to enter. (And the first rule of tautology club...)

This also works with PrCs that simply ask for a Caster Level rather than "can cast X level spells." SLAs give you a caster level.

Urpriest
2015-08-19, 08:48 AM

Ah, I had missed that. Yes, that should qualify then.

walrusman
2015-08-19, 08:49 AM
EDIT: I got Ninja'd

walrusman
2015-08-19, 08:51 AM
Thanks everyone! You've all been a great help!

Psyren
2015-08-19, 08:58 AM
Ah, I had missed that. Yes, that should qualify then.

It's funny because you even quoted it :smallbiggrin:

But yeah, I've missed rules hiding in plain sight many times. Damn Spot checks...