PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Ordained Champion Combat feats + Devotion

walrusman
2015-08-19, 08:35 AM
Hi all,

I might be hoping for something that can't happen here but I want some clarification.

If i take a level in Ordained Champion and get a new domain (Law in this case) replacing the law domain with Law Devotion happens immediately?

Would it be possible to sacrifice the law domain power for the Combat Feats class ability of the Ordained Champion, then sacrifice the domain for the law Devotion feat?

This just seems like something that could be abused, but it did occur to me that this might be viable depending mostly upon when you decide to take the Devotion Feat in place of the Domain.

Thanks for the help!

Raezeman
2015-08-19, 09:22 AM
Hi all,

I might be hoping for something that can't happen here but I want some clarification.

If i take a level in Ordained Champion and get a new domain (Law in this case) replacing the law domain with Law Devotion happens immediately?

Would it be possible to sacrifice the law domain power for the Combat Feats class ability of the Ordained Champion, then sacrifice the domain for the law Devotion feat?

This just seems like something that could be abused, but it did occur to me that this might be viable depending mostly upon when you decide to take the Devotion Feat in place of the Domain.

Thanks for the help!

I would say no. If you sacrifice the domain for the law devotion feat, you no longer the law domain's granted power to sacrifice for a combat feat.

Flickerdart
2015-08-19, 09:31 AM
As written, there is no timing restriction on when you trade a domain for a devotion feat. You could even do it 20 levels after gaining the domain, in the middle of another action.

I'd say that RAW, you totally could trade out the domain power for a bonus feat, then chuck the rest of the domain for a devotion feat. it's not even that powerful.

walrusman
2015-08-19, 09:45 AM
As written, there is no timing restriction on when you trade a domain for a devotion feat. You could even do it 20 levels after gaining the domain, in the middle of another action.

I'd say that RAW, you totally could trade out the domain power for a bonus feat, then chuck the rest of the domain for a devotion feat. it's not even that powerful.

I would agree, it really isn't that powerful. 1 Fighter bonus feat, and I personally like the Law Devotion feat since I won't really be using the Law domain spells. Thanks! I appreciate the help!

walrusman
2015-08-19, 10:14 AM
Does this line in the Complete champion on Cleric domains ruin the ability to use the ordained champion ability with devotion feats?

In addition, you can choose to give up access to a domain in exchange for the corresponding domain feat. Doing so allows you to select up to three domain feats, but you cannot prepare domain spells or use the granted power of the sacri*ficed domain. In essence, you trade in a domain for an extra feat slot that you can spend only on a specific domain feat.
For example, the above cleric of Pelor could choose to give up the granted power and spells of the Good domain for the Good Devotion feat

Specifically the last line.

torrasque666
2015-08-19, 10:19 AM
Does this line in the Complete champion on Cleric domains ruin the ability to use the ordained champion ability with devotion feats?

Specifically the last line.
Technically yes. You give up both the granted power and spells for the devotion feat, while Ordained Champion sacrifices the granted power. You can't sacrifice something you don't have. If you've already given up the power for the bonus feat, then you lack the power to sacrifice for the devotion feat.

Flickerdart
2015-08-19, 12:25 PM
It's an example, not rules.

The rule is "you can choose to give up access to a domain in exchange for the corresponding domain feat. ... you cannot prepare domain spells or use the granted power of the sacrificed domain." The domain power is not a cost, you just can't use it anymore because you don't have the domain.

"Domain power" is a sub-entity of "domain." You give up the domain, with all that it grants you. There is never a requirement to give up sub-entities of the domain, just like a blackguard trading in levels of paladin isn't concerned with any class features he may have traded out.

d20familiar
2015-08-19, 04:42 PM
The rule is "you can choose to give up access to a domain in exchange for the corresponding domain feat. ... you cannot prepare domain spells or use the granted power of the sacrificed domain." The domain power is not a cost, you just can't use it anymore because you don't have the domain.

This sort of argument reminds me of DCFS-ing away temporary feat from Heroics for something useful and then claiming it stays with your character forever because "when the spell ends it takes away only the original feat but not the one it was DCFS-ed into".