PDA

View Full Version : Force Effects for D&D

Guinaur
2007-05-08, 09:55 AM
I made this "effect" for my dnd sessions and would like to share it here.
I felt that the Bull Rush and Trip effects were a bit underused and desided to do something with them.

Note: This is not a spell, but an effect that can be used to make a spell.

Basically, a force effect is a "mass" of force that has three characteristics: a Strength score, a Speed score, and a Size catagory. When a "force effect" hits a creature, it automatically moves into the creatures space, and attempts a Bull rush against the creature. The "force effect" always chooses to move with the target. If the Bull Rush succeeds, the "force effect" then tries to Trip the creature. If the Trip succeeds, the "force effect" either stops or continues moving (depending on its origins). This effect is usefull for spells and weapon enchantments.

An example of a spell:

Force Blast
Evocation (Force)
Level: Sor/Wis 2
Components: V,S
Casting Time: 1 action
Duration: Instantanious
Range: Close (25ft + 5ft/2lvl's)
Area: 5ft - line
Saves: Force Effect
SR: no

This spell evokes a force effect with the following characteristics: Str 10+caster level (max: +15); Speed: 25ft + 5ft/2lvl's; Size: Medium

jlousivy
2007-05-09, 01:01 AM
weapon enchantments? so... i could get a greatsword of 'force?' which would have a chance to trip-on-hit? cool stuff(i dunno how balancing it is but who knows)

i like how it scales as you level up, but is there a limit on the CL of the str?

Guinaur
2007-05-10, 02:00 AM
That was just a example spell, but yes you could put a cap on it (ex: Str = 10+ caster level (max Str = 20)).

DaMullet
2007-05-10, 06:43 AM
Well, Force effects are already clearly defined in the existing rules, so you'd need a better name than the '' ''s around Force.

Otherwise, it sounds pretty solid.

Latronis
2007-05-10, 10:41 AM
what about stationary force effects?

EDIT: Ah i see this is a new effect not a reworking of the existing force effect, my bad.

Are there stationary 'Force' effects?

JackMage666
2007-05-10, 10:55 AM
Cool idea, but you need a better name, as Force is already used, and would be confusing.

And, I think you're spell needs to level up or be capped. Or, you have have a Lesser/Normal/Greater chain. For example, the lesser Bull Rushes, but does not trip, or has a lower Str cap. Or, you could do it 10+1/2 CL for Str score. A second level spell that can trip and bull rush is pretty strong, especially if there's no cap. The Normal can be as you put it. And the Greater does as you put it, with a Str score of 15+CL+Your BAB.

DracoDei
2007-05-10, 01:07 PM
Hmmm.... compare and contrast to Bigby's Forceful Hand... might be a little high powered for the level (Especially depending on duration). What is the duration of the one you gave?

Neek
2007-05-10, 01:36 PM
Looking at the descriptor, it's a single use. You cast it on the target, and it does its work--so it doesn't stand around or doesn't persist for any length of time. It should have the Duration listed as "Instantaneous."

Guinaur
2007-05-12, 10:31 AM
What spell is this with the name "Force", that you keep refering to? I do not know of it. Oh, and this effect is not the same as Bigby's Forcefull hand.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-05-12, 10:36 AM
They aren't talking about a spell; they are telling you that there is already a group of spells which use something referred to as force to do things, such as: magic missile, wall of force, the aforementioned Bigby's Forceful Hand, spiritual weapon, Mordenkainen's sword, and probably some others I can't remember right now.

Guinaur
2007-05-12, 10:44 AM
Oh, ok.
Well my effect is just different rules to apply to new or old force spells. Like magic missile, you could add this force effect to the magic missile spell, give it a low strength score and increase its level, maybe give it a new name, and now you have a interesting magic missile spell that can also knock people over.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-05-12, 10:55 AM
So this is really like a metamagic feat, I get it...

Blasting Spell [Metamagic]
Benefit: This feat can only be applied to spells with the [Force] descriptor. The spell gains the ability to make an overrun attack (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/specialAttacks.htm) against all its targets, except that no AoO is provoked, and the target cannot avoid the overrun if they take the effects of the spell. The spell is treated as having a Strength score equal to your primary casting ability + the level of the spell modified, and its size category is the same as yours. Spells modified by this feat use a spell slot 2 levels higher than normal.