PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Question about Illusory Reality and Animate Object

Mathmadman
2015-08-19, 03:04 PM
So Animate Object lets you, well, animate an object, while Illusory Reality makes some component of an illusion real. Additionally, the rules for Illusory Reality don't specify that the object disappears if you lose concentration on the spell. Does mean that an Illusion Wizard could Silent Image a huge object (I'm preferential to giant suits of armor), make that object real with Illusory Reality, then Animate it? If not, why?

Additionally, how does this interact with the caveat of Illusory Reality that the object can't deal damage?

I might be trying to make a Naruto-esque character. Maybe. :smallbiggrin:

Thank you!

Paeleus
2015-08-19, 03:26 PM
Welp, the "The object can't deal damage or otherwise directly harm anyone" kinda puts a damper on animating a suit of armor to fight for you. Concentration seems to an issue as well.

This is just off the top of my cranium and a quick look up of the ability and illusion spells.

EDIT: though maybe the suit of armor can grapple?

Shaofoo
2015-08-19, 03:29 PM
It seems that as long as you use the bonus action to make the illusion real then it stays for one minute afterwards so you can just drop the illusion for something else and it stays.

Also I think that you can't use Animated Objects to deal damage with the Illusory Reality object because it is the object that is doing the attack and not the spell. Just like you can't give a fighter an Illusory Reality sword and use that to hurt someone either.

Pyon
2015-08-19, 04:18 PM
Honestly I'd "Rule of cool" this and say you could do it. But that's me.