PDA

View Full Version : Halfling Druid

Gwazi Magnum
2015-08-19, 11:47 PM
Basically a build I've look at and away from consistently, and currently regain some curiousity in seeing how well it can work.

Essentially I have the basic idea atm.

3.5 Druid/PF Halfling

Druid Variants

Replace proficiencies and wildshape with Monk and Ranger abilities (AC, Fast Movement, Track, Swift Tracker and Favored Enemy specifically).
Replace Animal Companion with Fast Movement & Rage
Halfling Subsitution Levels
Spell Point Variant (For more spell flexibility overall)
As many Urban Variants as possible (For a more social/criminal minded Druid)

Halfling Racial Variants

Fleet of foot (Replace Climb and Acrobatics with +10 Speed).

Considered Feats

Yondallas Sense
Xen Archery (Depends on if I want offensive spells).

The idea here is create a Druid who is very quick, agile and stealthy.
With a combination of high AC, Speed, Stealth and Initative.

Any thoughts or suggestions for ways to improve the build?

Auron3991
2015-08-19, 11:57 PM
You are a Halfling, so you must have a sling. Try and see if you can use things like magic stones, thunderstones, and fire seeds as ammunition.

It may not be optimized, but it's sure fun to play.

Gwazi Magnum
2015-08-20, 12:03 AM
Is the Sling just for the +1 Attack Bonus Halflings tend to get?
Or is this for some other reason? Like a sling build, or simple Halfling shenanigans? :P

Also, I'm about to add a note to the OP on this. The build would also consist of a lot of Urban Druid variants.

eggynack
2015-08-20, 12:12 AM
To be perfectly honest, the best way to optimize would probably be to ditch most or all of the neat unique stuff you have on the character. Aside from the spell point variant, pretty much all of the trades you listed are mostly downside. For example, you say you want to go fast and agile with high AC, but wild shape does that way better than swift hunter, because various forms have high base speed, a variety of movement modes, and high base AC. Druid stealth is rooted first in wild shape, by choosing small forms, and second in spells, using stuff like camouflage to up your hide check a bunch. And, if you want to go deeper on that path, picking up aberration or dragon wild shape can get you really strong stealth forms, like will-o'-wisp or shadow dragon respectively. Point is, the majority of your actions taken are a bit on the counterproductive side.

Edit: Urban druid variants are fine, however. Strong stomach and voice of the city are especially sweet.

Geddy2112
2015-08-20, 12:19 AM
So you want to have druid spells, but toss everything else about being a druid to be a monk, and a somewhat ranger? If you want to be more social, check out the urban-druid (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/druid/archetypes/paizo---druid-archetypes/urban-druid) or if you want a ranger style nature-fang (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/druid/archetypes/paizo---druid-archetypes/nature-fang) is more your speed. Having somebody who is both an expert hunter and socialite is going to be tough and might require a lot of multiclassing. Pick one or the other.

Dip 1-2 levels in monk-you get the AC bonus and a bonus feat. A second level dip gets evasion. There are some variants to get this or that, depending. sensei (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/monk/archetypes/paizo---monk-archetypes/sensei) is a good social dip, and the 2nd level boost is great if you use unarmed/monk weapons.

Quick, agile, stealthy, high AC, and high initiative more or less means maxing dex. Halflings get a dex bonus so you are already on your way.

eggynack
2015-08-20, 12:22 AM
Dip 1-2 levels in monk-you get the AC bonus and a bonus feat. A second level dip gets evasion. There are some variants to get this or that, depending. sensei (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/monk/archetypes/paizo---monk-archetypes/sensei) is a good social dip, and the 2nd level boost is great if you use unarmed/monk weapons.
Better off just picking up a monk's belt. That item is sweet.

Gwazi Magnum
2015-08-20, 12:43 AM
I have no strong intention of going down a Ranger path.
That stuff is just a nice bonus to the AC and Movement, which I do want.

My focus is to be a mobile spell-slinger with this build.
The reason I'm not using wild shape mind you is just a personal one.
I know mechanically it's beter, but as a player I just enjoy it being from my person better.

There's just something fun about imagining a halfling running circles around foes and trapping them in spells.

Auron3991
2015-08-20, 12:48 AM
Is the Sling just for the +1 Attack Bonus Halflings tend to get?
Or is this for some other reason? Like a sling build, or simple Halfling shenanigans? :P

Because Halflings must have slings. It's in the rules of completely stereotypical character design somewhere.

On a slightly more serious note, it may get the DM to allow slightly smaller exotic ammunition (like Dust of Dryness full of water, which is about the size of a marble), and if one can convince them that being flung from a sling is about equivalent to being hurled, then your sling may as well be an money charged staff that can do weapon damage on top of spells but needs attack roles.

So, yeah, shenanigans.

nedz
2015-08-20, 08:55 AM
Consider this build

Halfling Wilderness Rogue 1 / Halfling Deadly Hunter Druid 5 / Spellwarp Sniper 5

PBS [1], Track {2}, Extend Spell [3], PS [6], Split Ray [9], Deadeye Shot {9}, Dimensional Jaunt[12]

Wilderness Rogue (UA, p 56): Modified skill list.
Halfling Rogue Substitution Levels (RW, p 160) Ranged Sneak Attack

Deadly Hunter (UA, p 58): Gain bonus to AC when unarmored and fast movement (as monk). Gain favored enemy, track, and swift tracker as a ranger. Lose armor and shield proficiency and wild shape.
Spontaneous Druid (UA)
Halfling Druid Substitution Levels (RW, p 157) add climb, jump, move silently, and hide to skill list (6 skills points per level)
1st level: Spontaneous Casting, Enhanced Link (bonus to ride animal companion)
1st – Jump, 2nd – Spider Climb, 3rd – Protection from Energy, 4th – Freedom of Movement, 5th – Tree Stride, 6th – 9th – Summon Nature’s Ally
Elemental Companion (CM, p 33) Know (the Planes) 1, speak Auran. No AC, no Wild Empathy.
Nab an Air Elemental