PDA

View Full Version : Laxil's Horrific Flaying [Spell]

Aidan305
2007-05-08, 11:24 AM
Here's an unpleasant spell I thought up for the party Dread Necro. I just thought I'd get some opinions on it before I give it to him. Please note that spells aren't generally my thing so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Laxil’s Horrific Flaying
6th Level Necromancy [evil]
Componants: V, S, F
Duration: 1 Round/2 levels
Range: Close (25ft +5ft/2 levels)
Casting Time: Standard Action
Target: Single target
Saving Throw: None or Fort, see text
SR: Yes

With a few well chosen words, the skin begins to peel off your opponents flesh as they cry out in pain.

When the spell is cast, the skin begins to peel off target’s flesh. The immense pain caused by this process deals 1d6/2 levels (max5d6) damage per round. In addition, the target must make a fortitude save each round or lose 1d4 points of Constitution.

This spell des not effect undead or constructs.

Focus: A runic athame of value no less than 500gp

Zeta Kai
2007-05-08, 11:59 AM
Eww. That sounds gooey. I'm a bit confused as to the level of damage it does. What does "1d6/2 levels (max5d6) per round" mean? Are those class levels? Is that a typo? Is it supposed to be "1d6 damage (5d6 maximum)"?

Closet_Skeleton
2007-05-08, 12:21 PM
Eww. That sounds gooey. I'm a bit confused as to the level of damage it does. What does "1d6/2 levels (max5d6) per round" mean? Are those class levels? Is that a typo? Is it supposed to be "1d6 damage (5d6 maximum)"?

It means a level 4th caster would deal 2d6... It's simple really, all the spells say it like that anyway. Not that a 4th level caster could cast this spell.

Lapak
2007-05-08, 12:36 PM
It means a level 4th caster would deal 2d6... It's simple really, all the spells say it like that anyway. Not that a 4th level caster could cast this spell.Since you've made it a sixth-level spell, it would immediately be at the maximum you've set. Why not just call it 5d6 and be done with it, in that case?

Jarchh
2007-05-08, 12:36 PM
Hehe sounds niiiiceee.. though a couple of points to make.. just really nitpicking but "as they cry out in pain" is nice flavour, but rp wise it isnt good.. unless it's a specific effect of the spell it shouldnt really be described as making the target do something.. I mean if you cast this on a stoic, disciplined monk they're unlikely to call out, especially the way alot of people rp those... and secondly isnt it a little underpowered? 5d6 max + a little con damage is a bit low for a 6th level spell especially if you consider the max damage for an arcane spell of this level is 20 dice worth.. just compare to fireball which from an 11th level wizard would be doing 11d6 to all the targets in a 20ft radius or necrotic eruption from libris mortis which deals 1d6 per caster level worth of damage to a target, plus if they fail a fort save the subject dies, plus dealing 1d6 per caster level to all creatures within 20 ft.. other then those two little points nice job.. keep it up.

Demented
2007-05-08, 03:24 PM
Notice the duration: 1 round/2 levels

Cast on something, run away. A minute later, your victim is short 30d6 to 50d6 health (variant with caster level) and probably a few (if not all of his) CON points as well.

Rift_Wolf
2007-05-08, 03:51 PM
Nice. However; counters? Maybe a high DC Heal check to stop the skin peeling off? A regeneration spell?
Reminds me of Curse of Agony from WoW. Damage-over-Time over Damage-per-second. I like it.

Jarchh
2007-05-08, 04:59 PM
Notice the duration: 1 round/2 levels

Cast on something, run away. A minute later, your victim is short 30d6 to 50d6 health (variant with caster level) and probably a few (if not all of his) CON points as well.

are you sure about that.. because my reading of it made it sound like the only thing that happens every round is the con damage and not the damage.

" In addition to the target must make a fortitude save each round or lose 1d4 points of Constitution."

and if you're right 30-50dice of damage is too much for a sixth level spell..

Demented
2007-05-08, 05:24 PM
"...deals 1d6/2 levels (max5d6) per round."

Obviously, I failed kindergarten in more ways than one if that doesn't mean what I think it does.

Jarchh
2007-05-08, 05:40 PM
Hehe sorry, missed that... would have made sense to put it in one clause. But okay, then the reverse is true.. 30-50 dice of damage is far far too much for a single 6th level spell if you assume an 11th level caster can do 5d6 points of damage for 5 rounds.. 25 dice of damage plus a possible 5d4 con damage is overpowered for a spell of this level be far.

martyboy74
2007-05-08, 05:45 PM
If you stopped taking the CON damage after a sucessful save, that would probably make it a bit more acceptable.

EDIT: There really are much better things to do with 6th level spells (Read: AMF, disintigrate, contingency, greater dispel magic).

Jarchh
2007-05-08, 05:53 PM
Either that or add a 1 round/ 2 caster levels (up to a maximum of 3 rounds) or something similar.. otherwise when you can do 50d6 + 10d4 con damage at level twenty why bother using any other spell?

Aidan305
2007-05-08, 06:00 PM
Either that or add a 1 round/ 2 caster levels (up to a maximum of 3 rounds) or something similar.. otherwise when you can do 50d6 + 10d4 con damage at level twenty why bother using any other spell?

Becaue it takes 10 rounds to deal that 50d6 of damage, during which time your opponant is hitting you with things like empowered, maximised meteor swarms (Hooray for metamagic rods). And is also healing themselves up with potions. And, of course, the con damage can be saved against which makes it less dangerous than it may otherwise be.

Perhaps if I make the duration concentration based as well.

martyboy74
2007-05-08, 06:09 PM
Becaue it takes 10 rounds to deal that 50d6 of damage, during which time your opponant is hitting you with things like empowered, maximised meteor swarms (Hooray for metamagic rods). And is also healing themselves up with potions. And, of course, the con damage can be saved against which makes it less dangerous than it may otherwise be.

Perhaps if I make the duration concentration based as well.

What? Your opponent isn't doing that. Either there's a brute force monster (Mr T.), and the other spellcaster in the party is kicking the **** out of them, or it's a spellcaster, and you're dead by then.

Aidan305
2007-05-08, 06:20 PM
What? Your opponent isn't doing that. Either there's a brute force monster (Mr T.), and the other spellcaster in the party is kicking the **** out of them, or it's a spellcaster, and you're dead by then.

My apologies, I was merely giving it as an example. But the point I was making was that there are things that that opponent can do in the intervenening rounds that the damage is being dealt in. They aren't necessarily just sitting there and taking it (Unless you're combining it with something like Hold Person/Monster).

Jarchh
2007-05-10, 11:23 AM
Hmm... Whats stopping the caster using this spell then continuing to lob said overdamaging spells every round after that? So they'll do the same damage as their opponent whom is casting meteor swarm PLUS an extra 5d6 damage+1d4 con a round.. and whats to say they wont just cast it on their target and then cast teleport to get the hell away.. not much that I know of can resist a possible 40 points of con damage.. with good luck or a cast, teleport, cast, teleport a player could effectively solo the Tarrasque with this spell.. and if not that.. they could just cast it on your BB and teleport out.. just a tip you might wanna read through the table on page 36 of the DMG before making a spell to see if the damage is overpowering.. this spell if used right is game breaking.. especially if you're giving it to a dread necro.. who if built right will not only have unlimited self healing but a small legion of undead, pretty nice dr and a hugh list of spont. cast spells. The only thing that stops them from being broken is the fact that they dont have the high damage lobbing spells that other arcane casters do.