PDA

View Full Version : A new character

Phoenix1664
2015-08-20, 05:31 AM
Hey all right i am still quite new to picking characters and working out long progression. To that end does anyone have some ideas for me to make a new character i am trying to do different things each time the first time i was a ranger but didnt play it much. i am currently playing as a dwarf crusader that i am going to have as a damage absorbing tank.

For the one we are going to start soon i would like to be a pure damage dealer but still some kind of melee character. I did look at monks and so on but i could not decide where to go. Also there is no homebrew stuff allowed and we are using 3.5e,

The DM has said that the new campaign with start at lvl 6 with 9000 gold to build your character and get equipment. any ideas are welcome just need some pointers and a bit of direction.

I have also been looking is psychic characters like the psychic warrior and so on.

Kol Korran
2015-08-20, 05:40 AM
I suggest to do the following first:
- ask the DM what is the setting you're playing it like - is he using a published setting or his own world, What's the take on races, classes, politics, power groups, religion, magic and so on. Get a feel of the world...
- ask the DM what kinda of campaign is this going to be-all high magic heroics, gritty survival, political struggles, mostly in dungeons, mostly in the wild... set up expectations...
- ask the other players what sort of characters they intend to play. Try to build a group that can work together, both mechanically, but also epilepsy wise. I really suggest to try building characters together, a understand experience!

then think of a class and so on, let the former steps inspire you first...

lhilas
2015-08-20, 06:06 AM
I agree with kol korran, although if you wish to build a damage focused melee combatant i'd avoid monk unless you intend to multiclass into some monk/spell caster prestige class (in which case you'll have buffs and won't completely suck).
Now the best damage dealing class with almost no cheese I can think of is the "hidden blade" prestige class from the complete warrior, basically it's a rogue who can sneak attack every turn without having to flank your opponent or surprise him in any way. Throw in some two weapon fighting and some weapon enchantments and you'll be able to deal more damage than any other character in your group.
Oh yeah and don't forget to take a wand of grave strike and that other spell which will allow you sneak attack undead and constructs.

nedz
2015-08-20, 08:40 AM
- ask the other players what sort of characters they intend to play. Try to build a group that can work together, both mechanically, but also epilepsy wise.

What ?

Have you been the victim of an auto-correct drive-by ?

ExLibrisMortis
2015-08-20, 09:33 AM
The psychic warrior can deal huge amounts of damage, but you have to use some tricks to get around your low PP/day limit, like a houseruled Psycarnum Infusion/Azure talent combo, or Bestow Power + cost reducers.

For a straightforward damage-dealer, look at barbarian 2 (pounce, improved trip)/warblade X.

ComaVision
2015-08-20, 11:16 AM
I agree with kol korran, although if you wish to build a damage focused melee combatant i'd avoid monk unless you intend to multiclass into some monk/spell caster prestige class (in which case you'll have buffs and won't completely suck).
Now the best damage dealing class with almost no cheese I can think of is the "hidden blade" prestige class from the complete warrior, basically it's a rogue who can sneak attack every turn without having to flank your opponent or surprise him in any way. Throw in some two weapon fighting and some weapon enchantments and you'll be able to deal more damage than any other character in your group.
Oh yeah and don't forget to take a wand of grave strike and that other spell which will allow you sneak attack undead and constructs.

He means the Invisible Blade.

Also, you may be interested in a Tashalatora Monk. It uses the feat Tashalatora from Secrets of Sarlona to make a Monk with psychic powers.