PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Easiest way to obtain Mind Leech (1 HD Aberration Symbiont)

Jowgen
2015-08-20, 08:02 AM
I'm currently looking into ways to get the most use out of Naberius, and thought a Mind Leech Symbiont (Fiend Folio) would be a nice way of doing that. A Mind Leach is a Fine-sized Aberration with the (Symbiont) Subtype, has 1 HD, and is found Solitary in any Underground environment.

Fiend Folio gives no GP value for them (or any of its symbtionts) so they don't seem to be intended as treasure, can't be bought/factored into WBL, and under normal circumstances will only be encountered by DM-Fiat.

So, I am looking for the easiest way to get one IC. With only 1 HD, they ought to be very easy to learn about via the knowledge skill rules, so that's no issue. It seems like the use of Divination magic to get a fix on one's location would be a great place to start, but Locate Creature won't work unless you've already seen one of them.

So yes, any and all ideas on how an adventurer can get himself one of these with the lowest expenditure of time/effort/resources would be much welcome :smallsmile:

Necroticplague
2015-08-20, 08:39 AM
Not sure if it's easiest or lowest level, but using a [Calling] Spell to summon a templated one should be pretty simple. Like say, Planar Binding for a Shadow Mind Leech. Your daily ability point sacrifice should count as payment enough.

Jowgen
2015-08-20, 01:54 PM
Not sure if it's easiest or lowest level, but using a [Calling] Spell to summon a templated one should be pretty simple. Like say, Planar Binding for a Shadow Mind Leech. Your daily ability point sacrifice should count as payment enough.

That... is actually rather ingenious. A fiendish Mind Leech should be easy enough to swing by my DM, or something like that. I better look into some good templates for this, see if I can make it properly worthwhile. Thank you :smallbiggrin:

Jowgen
2015-08-24, 02:42 PM
Alright, I've looked into the [Calling] option. The lowest level spells to use are either Lesser Planar Binding cast by a Demonologist, or Lesser Spirit Binding, which is a 4th level Wu Jen exclusive.

For either of these options to work, I'd need to apply a template that changes the Mind Leech's type to either Outsider, Elemental or make it count as a "Spirit" (i.e. Fey, Incorporeal Undead, Elemental). Problem is that the Leech's Ego score is already 16, and if the template takes it to 20 or higher, things get annoying. That effectively rules out any Outsider Template, as being an Outsider adds a flat +4 ego.

Unseelie Fey could be an interesting Template to use, but I'm not sure how Winter Chill on a Symbiont would work, or how that template would affect the Leech's Ego score.

One of the "X Element" creature templates might be best. Water or Earth maybe, since that fits with its wormyness. Wood would be a fun one, if that weren't silly.

Now, would anyone happen to have an alternative suggestion to using [Calling] spells?