PDA

View Full Version : Captain SNES - The Game Masta

Kato
2015-08-20, 10:48 AM
So... I'm not sure how large interest is but considering the looooong hiatus has been over for a while and Alex is updating... regular-ish... I thought I'd see how well a thread for this old comic would be received. I'm going to assume at least a few people are aware of it but since the tone of the comic can be rather childish I know it's not for everyone. Well, I'm still reading it, because I mostly like the jokes and because I forever wanted someone to follow up on the terrible Cartoon with something decent.

Most recent events: FF V's Cara showed up and "saved" VI's Shadow from throwing away his life to now... be her bff? I get the feeling he's going to wish he never survived that floating island crash.

drachefly
2015-09-18, 03:33 PM
I have to agree with Shadow's assessment of Cara's power level. FF5 lets the characters get REALLY strong.

The only edges he has on her: if he was aggressively trained on one or more of his base stats - probably vigor - then he could exceed her score on it; he doesn't need to hit the status screen to cast all of his spells; she doesn't have an economizer available; her intrinsic evade and counterattack aren't necessarily as good as Interceptor; she doesn't have a desperation attack; and he can throw specialty skeins which she doesn't have available.

On the other hand, she has overall very high stats, doesn't need equipment to X-fight, X-magic, jump, hurry on the map, or counterattack with a weapon. She also has a lot of abilities he hasn't even seen - she sees secret passages, mastered alchemy for some insane buffs, can sing for some other strong buffs, can catch and release or just control outright monsters, can repeatedly summon espers, can take an action to simply nullify all physical damage...

I wonder where he's going with this. The long term arc is actually the most interesting part of this for me - I want to see the plot followed through!

ryuplaneswalker
2015-09-19, 07:41 AM
So... I'm not sure how large interest is but considering the looooong hiatus has been over for a while and Alex is updating... regular-ish... I thought I'd see how well a thread for this old comic would be received. I'm going to assume at least a few people are aware of it but since the tone of the comic can be rather childish I know it's not for everyone. Well, I'm still reading it, because I mostly like the jokes and because I forever wanted someone to follow up on the terrible Cartoon with something decent.

Most recent events: FF V's Cara showed up and "saved" VI's Shadow from throwing away his life to now... be her bff? I get the feeling he's going to wish he never survived that floating island crash.

I love CSNES, it is the first webcomic I ever got into, The Strip where Alex openly Mocks Daos is still something that cheers me up any time I am sad.

Kato
2015-09-19, 09:59 AM
I have to agree with Shadow's assessment of Cara's power level. FF5 lets the characters get REALLY strong.

Well, FF VI characters can also become pretty strong... but yeah, the job system just makes a character infinitely more versatile, if you max them out. I guess a regular end game character would be.. roughly on the same level. Maybe.

But yeah, the overall plot is really interesting and it's just so sad it moves forward so slowly... :smallsigh:

I love CSNES, it is the first webcomic I ever got into, The Strip where Alex openly Mocks Daos is still something that cheers me up any time I am sad.
Gosh, this was years ago, right? Quick search suggests more than ten, even. There are quite a few strips that I really liked, though my archive crawl happened a few years ago already, I think. Maybe I need to do another.