PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Ideas for a wizard backstory/theme?

MrUberGr
2015-08-20, 12:29 PM
We'll be starting a new campaign these days, and I've decided to play a wizard. However, I'm having a terrible time fleshing out a backstory. The last two wizards, were pretty much "by the book", grew up, wanted moar power (~~unlimited POWEEEER~~), left in search of said power. However, I'd really don't like to do this yet again.

He is a male elf (either sun or moon, not sure), rather young, ~200 years old.

What I've figured until now, is that as a profession, he is an astronomer. One of the other players is playing a sailor, and I thought he could have joined them, as a captain's assistant being an astronomer, searching for greater libraries than his village's. However it feels pretty empty. Any ideas?

noob
2015-08-20, 12:36 PM
If he is an astronomer he surely have an employer and you could extend on what your employer do or is.
Also the fact he rejoins an sailor makes me remember of one sad irl person who had to go to a precise location to see an astrological event(there was many astronomers who came at various positions for seeing them) and then there was many events in the travel then the creation of an observatory and so on and finally it ended up wrong for it his wife married someone else and he was declared dead and he lost his job and could not even watch the event he wanted to watch due to meteorological events and such kind of things.
So your wizard could be in a mission to go to place X to increase the number of points from which an astrological event is observed.

TheThan
2015-08-20, 01:10 PM
5 Common adventurer goals:

You’re character’s mentor/parent/loved one has been murdered. You’re out for vengeance, revenge, justice etc.
You’re part of a league, guild or other organization that seeks to do something, protect the world, right wrongs etc.
You’ve discovered the world is going to end soon but nobody believes you so you’re out to prove yourself.
Money and profit
an evil tyrant/sorcerer or somesuch is out to overthrow a nation; you are the only one that can stop him.

Fri
2015-08-20, 01:56 PM
You want to be the King of Cats.

You're somehow sure that the way to be the King of Cats is to kill the current King of Cats, and they exist somewhere in the world.

You're travelling the world to find and kill this current King of Cats.

Segev
2015-08-20, 01:59 PM
Three wise men, a little over 2000 years ago, were studying the stars and determined that one was new and bright, and that it had significance which could lead them to a powerful event. They set out to witness this event and pay homage to the sacred Being it heralded. Perhaps your astronomer-wizard (a "mage" or "magi" perhaps) is seeking to pursue something he's divined from his studies.

Spojaz
2015-08-20, 02:09 PM
One of the first steps to deepen your character is to ask "why is this the case" about all the attributes you have chosen. Bonus points for using the same answer more than one question.

So, why is he an astronomer?
loves the natural beauty of the stars? Chronic Insomnia? The only one eligible when the village's old star-watcher needed replacing? Family business? Rare astrological sign saved his life or cost someone else theirs?

How does he feel about how this career choice led to him being on this ship, doing this job?
Loves the freedom of the sea? Feels above the rest of the common sailors? Loves the "we're all one family" nature being part of the crew? Likes being trusted for direction and guidance by the captain? Is just biding his time until he can get his pay and off this stinking boat? Is this just the best place to be laying low, far away from where he is from?

Also, why does he want to find greater libraries?
Looking for a specific spell, to solve a problem for his family or his village? Obligation to live up to his potential? Curiosity about the nature or limits of magic itself? Just running away from a prophecy? To become stronger than his effortlessly talented rival? To show his family he really can make it on his own? Desire to be the very best, like no one ever was?