PDA

View Full Version : Three Weapon Fighting

Innis Cabal
2007-05-08, 03:59 PM
Three Weapon Fighting[General]Through training and dedication, you have learned to hold a juggle or hold a third weapon, striking opponents with a third attack.
Prerequisites: Two Weapon Fighting, Improved Two Weapon Fighting
Benefits: You gain a third attack, gaining a second free attack a round, though this attack is very difficult to pull of as you hold the weapon in a strange location or juggle the third weapon with your second, suffering a -4 attack penalty with your primary and off hand weapon, on top of the penalty for two weapon fighting, and a -10 with the third weapon. The third weapon must be a light weapon.
Normal: A Character can not attack with a third weapon.
Special: A fighter may select Improved Three Weapon Fighting as one of his fighter bonus feats.

Improved Three Weapon Fighting[General]
You have become more adept at striking with your third weapon while in combat, giving you a better edge in combat
Prerequisites: Two Weapon Fighting, Improved Two Weapon Fighting, Three Weapon Fighting
Benefits: Your attack with your third weapon, as well as your primary and off hand weapon penalties decrease. Your primary and off hand weapon penalty is now -2, while your third weapon becomes a -5.
Normal: Your primary and off hand take suffer a -4 attack penalty, while your third weapon suffers a -10 penalty on attack rolls.
Special: A fighter may select Improved Three Weapon Fighting as one of his fighter bonus feats.

Neek
2007-05-08, 04:15 PM
That is quite unusual. I reckon it works for improvised weapons, but sounds a bit clumsy. Might work with a double-headed weapon + single weapon in one hand. Perhaps adding "Quick Draw" to the requirements, allowing the character to make two attacks, draw a weapon, and strike with the third--that doesn't stretch plausibility as much. (I can't think of any examples where a person has three weapons, and is juggling them about).

jindra34
2007-05-08, 04:16 PM
was this based on Zolo from one peice?

Innis Cabal
2007-05-08, 04:18 PM
sorta, back in the day, long before one piece, one of my buddies played a character that juggled swords. We house ruled how he could do it and converted it to second ed and i just got to it for 3.5 with a little taken from Zolo

Caelestion
2007-05-08, 04:24 PM
Silly question perhaps, but why? People already complain that the TWF is too feat-heavy and too penalty-laden. This just adds another feat or two to the list and adds even more penalties.

Innis Cabal
2007-05-08, 04:27 PM
becuase i think it is an interesting idea, yes it adds more feats but no one is making you take it. You want to wield a long sword and shortswords? well here ya go, if you dont want to then by all means ignore it.

Maldraugedhen
2007-05-08, 06:19 PM
I always thought Vyse would have been cooler if he held a third blade--maybe a dagger--in his mouth. You should probably add that wielding a light weapon as a third weapon reduces the penalty in the same way as wielding it as a second weapon.

Innis Cabal
2007-05-08, 06:22 PM
you can only wield a light weapon with this feat, thought i put that in there somewhere

jindra34
2007-05-08, 06:23 PM
Ninj'd second time ever though.

Innis Cabal
2007-05-08, 06:31 PM
to how its done....hold a weapon in a foot or mouth....or juggle three daggers....

brian c
2007-05-08, 06:36 PM
you can only wield a light weapon with this feat, thought i put that in there somewhere

You didn't, but you should probably add that in for the sake of clarity. It's a cool feat, although definitely not something a min-maxer would take.

jindra34
2007-05-08, 06:38 PM
You didn't, but you should probably add that in for the sake of clarity. It's a cool feat, although definitely not something a min-maxer would take.

HE did though see last sentence on first one before normal or whatever...

Innis Cabal
2007-05-08, 06:39 PM
i dont make feats for min/maxer's i make feats for players who like the game

brian c
2007-05-08, 07:26 PM
HE did though see last sentence on first one before normal or whatever...

oh, missed that, sorry

i dont make feats for min/maxer's i make feats for players who like the game

I wasn't implied that you did, just pointing out that it's not a great feat mechanically speaking. I'd consider taking it: I've always wanted a group of adventurers from the circus and this would make a great juggler.

Innis Cabal
2007-05-08, 07:46 PM
not great feat mechanically speaking how might i ask?

cferejohn
2007-05-08, 08:44 PM
Someone made a juggler class at some point. Oh here it is:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35291&highlight=juggler

Thought folks might be interested...

Icewalker
2007-05-08, 09:20 PM
Thats....totally ridiculous. Pretty funny though.

Innis Cabal
2007-05-08, 09:27 PM
and shooting flaming ki out of your isnt ridiculos?

Umarth
2007-05-09, 06:50 AM
I personally think it's a bit silly to juggle or hold an extra weapon in your mouth that you can use to attack but this would be a great way to allow someone with armor spikes / spiky boots / unarmed strike to attack someone.

Short Sword, Short Sword, Foot to the kidney.

Abardam
2007-05-09, 06:59 AM
Short Sword, Short Sword, Foot to the kidney.
There's a feat for that from the ToB: Snap Kick.

Gungnir
2007-05-09, 07:54 AM
Double weapons and a short sword.

ZeroNumerous
2007-05-10, 08:00 AM
Oversized Three Weapon Fighting
You've grown much stronger since starting your three-weapon fighting career.
Prerequisites: Strength 13, Dexterity 13, Three Weapon Fighting, Oversized Two Weapon Fighting.
Benefit: You can wield a third one-handed weapon as if it were a light weapon.
Normal: You cannot wield a one-handed weapon as a third weapon.
Special: A fighter may take this feat as a bonus feat.
Joke: Masterwork Bastard Swords gain a +1 attack and damage bonus with this feat.

Roderick_BR
2007-05-10, 12:43 PM
An interesting idea. Yeah, I thought about Zoro too when I first saw it.
Hmm... The extra penalty is only to the 3rd weapon, right?
Can we have Greater Three Weapon fighting? And Perfect (epic)?

ZeroNumerous's suggestion is good too. That's what Zoro would need to use 3 katanas (one-handed bastard swords).

And finally... if that guy is a sort of juggler... can I add a 4th weapon? I know, I'm already getting ridiculous, but that would be interesting.

20th level weapon juggler:
Attacks: +18/+18/+16/+16/+13/+13/+11/+11/+8/+8/+6/+6/+3
22th Epic weapon juggler:
Attacks: +19/+19/+17/+17/+14/+14/+12/+12/+9/+9/+7/+7/+4/+4/+2/+2
Counting only base attack and epic bonus to attack. Granted, half of your attacks won't hit sh*t, but that would still be amusing to see :smallbiggrin:

But for real, at 20th you get +18/+18/+16/+13/+13/+11/+8/+8/+6/+3, and at level 22 (as a fighter, to get at least 2 feats for both perfect versions): +19/+19/+17/+14/+14/+12/+9/+9/+7/+4/+4/+2

Innis Cabal
2007-05-10, 01:43 PM
ill work on the stronger version((this isnt Innis, but ill tell him you all are interested))

ZeroNumerous
2007-05-10, 02:53 PM
And finally... if that guy is a sort of juggler... can I add a 4th weapon? I know, I'm already getting ridiculous, but that would be interesting.

Multiattack. There you go.

Roderick_BR
2007-05-10, 07:04 PM
Multiattack. There you go.
But that one has multiple members as requisite.

ZeroNumerous
2007-05-10, 07:26 PM
.. Dude, this is the Homebrew section. Heres what you do. Chance Multi-attack to just -be- that. Attack with as many weapons as you can wield. You can now juggle daggers.

lacesmcawesome
2007-05-10, 09:12 PM
I really liked it, and I think the idea would be pretty sick. I would definitely take that feat if had the sort of character that *would* take it.

Yea, mechanics wise, maybe it's not the smartest idea... at all, but hey, I'd still use it for style reasons.

I think it would be cool if you could add some bonus to like, intimidate or something. Or give some negative effect due to fear to your enemy. I mean, if I were facing a dude with three weapons, I'd be just a little frightened of the spinning pointy-things.

aaron_the_cow
2007-05-10, 09:19 PM
Yay!!!
now I can finialy play the Zoro caricter of my dreams, now, to be able to make Lufy!

Innis Cabal
2007-05-10, 09:22 PM
ill add it to Innis's list

paigeoliver
2007-05-11, 02:52 AM
Don't forget the Cat Juggler prestige class.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39422

I find the idea that somehow managing to have a dagger in your mouth or armpits being able to let you attack more often even more ridiculous than the idea that those assorted "double weapons" let you attack more often.

Think about it, what takes more time.

Stab twice with a spear.

Stab with a spear, turn the spear around and then stab with the spearhead on the other end.

Now lets look at this. What takes more time?

Hold a dagger in each hand and stab 3 times.

Hold a dagger in each hand and one in your mouth, stab twice, switch positions of hand and mouth dagger for some unknown reason, then stab again.

The whole idea doesn't make any sense. I know it is an extrapolation of some other D&D rules that also do not make sense, but this goes even further.

The premise is based on the (largely faulty) D&D idea that a weapon with multiple striking edges, or holding multiple weapons will allow a person to attack more often than a single weapon.

In most cases it isn't true. Even the various real life weapons and styles that some of these are based on are demonstration techniques more than actual usable styles. There is a reason why medieval battlefields were ruled by stabby polearms, longbows and lances, and not quarterstaffs, dual short swords, or dagger tossers.

Innis Cabal
2007-05-11, 11:24 AM
so you gave yourself a shameless plug and ripped what good ol' Innis posted just becuase it "dosnt make sense" even though this is a fantasy game with....magic....shame on you sir, shame and bad form

Jayabalard
2007-05-11, 02:01 PM
was this based on Zolo from one peice?it does indeed sound like it's based on Zoro from One Piece...

Malik
2007-05-11, 10:29 PM
this would be perfect if you wanted to play someone who fights with 2 swords and has a dagger that points out the front end of your boot :smallbiggrin:

Innis Cabal
2007-05-12, 02:32 PM
ya, thats why i made it :)

Cade Shadow
2007-05-13, 07:14 PM
I would just love this.. all you need is quick draw as a prerequisite. this is how combat would go.

Draw short sword 1
Draw short sword 2
throw short sword 1 in air
draw short sword 3
attack with short sword 2
attack with short sword 3
throw short sword 3 in air
grab short sword 1 from air (as it falls near you)
attack with short sword 1.
repeat

or like this:

draw short sword 1
draw short sword 2
attack with short sword 1
spin so that short sword 2 hits
continue spinning
kick with foot
return to normal stance.

This is kind of like flurry of blows, ain't it?

Demented
2007-05-13, 09:28 PM
The flavor is too specific for me. It's "yet another attack", only for this one you need to juggle and use a third weapon. It doesn't seem right to be used in conjunction with Greater Two-Weapon-Fighting.

Though, by that same token, it could harmlessly replace Greater Two-Weapon-Fighting for those characters that can't wait to reach the BAB +11 requirement.

Though, incongruently, it doesn't have the harsh 19 Dex requirement. :smallconfused:

FoeHammer
2007-06-03, 08:42 PM
Three Weapon Fighting[General]Through training and dedication, you have learned to hold a juggle or hold a third weapon, striking opponents with a third attack.
Benefits: You gain a third attack, gaining a second free attack a round, though this attack is very difficult to pull of as you hold the weapon in a strange location or juggle the third weapon with your second, suffering a -4 attack penalty with your primary and off hand weapon, on top of the penalty for two weapon fighting, and a -10 with the third weapon. The third weapon must be a light weapon.

You say a fighter may select improved three weapon fighting. Can they choose (normal) three weapon fighting as well?

EvilElitest
2007-06-03, 09:08 PM

Improved Three Weapon Fighting[General]
You have become more adept at striking with your third weapon while in combat, giving you a better edge in combat
Prerequisites: Two Weapon Fighting, Improved Two Weapon Fighting, Three Weapon Fighting
Benefits: Your attack with your third weapon, as well as your primary and off hand weapon penalties decrease. Your primary and off hand weapon penalty is now -2, while your third weapon becomes a -5.
Normal: Your primary and off hand take suffer a -4 attack penalty, while your third weapon suffers a -10 penalty on attack rolls.

Really who would this work logically? i mean a creature with a tail or a few other limbs sure, but a human?
from,
EE