PDA

View Full Version : [PF] The ABC's of VMC (Variant Multiclassing)

Novawurmson
2015-08-20, 06:42 PM
Google Doc (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1adD5wYmcP5lB4JYD8D3fUBFuumMeW4CKh9ZLVMgKSDc/edit?usp=sharing)

Because obviously I need another optimization guide to curate, I give you a guide to Pathfinder Unchained's Variant Multiclassing (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/character-advancement#TOC-Variant-Multiclassing)!

Variant Muticlassing (VMC) is an option from Paizo’s Pathfinder Unchained that trades specific class features from a chosen class in exchange for half your normal level up feats. This effectively lets allows you to gain class features from a second class while giving up none of the progression of your main class.

VMC eats up a whopping half (five!) of your character’s feats - the ones normally gained at 3/7/11/15/19. That’s a huge portion of your character’s power and customization - it doesn’t mean that they’re never useful (otherwise this guide would be very short), just that they require careful thought before taking.

Most VMCs are a little undertuned, but then there are gems like the Magus, which grants magus arcana, like, say Prescient Attacks (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/magus/magus-arcana/paizo---magus-arcana/prescient-attack-su). Sure, it wouldn't be worth 6 levels of Magus just to pick it up, but with full sneak attack progression...alternatively, you could go Magus VMC Rogue and pick up 4d6 sneak attack at 20, just in case you had a few d6s that were getting lonely after rolling your fistful of Intensified Shocking Grasp dice.

I'm especially open to suggestions for the Top VMC combos section, if anyone has any ideas.

Hope this guide is useful to you!

Ilorin Lorati
2015-08-20, 10:40 PM
It seems to be that generally VMC is best used to get into PrCs that would otherwise be pretty painful or stupid to go into.

Here's one: For a particularly damage-focused wizard build, you can get 10 Wizard / 10 Arcane Trickster (or 9 Wizard / 1 Sorcerer / 10 AT) with VMC rogue, as long as you take a level in another PRC somewhere before 10 and retrain it to AT after you get to character level 11 and 2d6 sneak. Because the prerequisites aren't otherwise tied to class level, you can retrain your previous PrC level into AT - the PrC level is taken because you can't retrain base classes into PrCs, even if the base class level wasn't what was used to get the prerequisites. Even if this retrain trick doesn't work with your DM, 10 Wizard / 1 Sorc / 9 AT is nothing to sneeze at.

Likewise, You can get 10 EK without losing out on any caster levels with a VMC Battle/Metal Oracle taking Skill at Arms. This will work especially well with a Blade Adept Arcanist, if you want to go that route.

Cavalier VMC Bard can get into Battle Herald without "wasting" caster levels, potentially making for a fairly competent front line support for people that don't want to be casters.

You already have Rogue VMC magus listed, but Spellstrike doesn't need to be wasted - you should be able to Spellstrike with wands, and may be able to convince your DM to let you use rogue SLAs to spellstrike with as well.

grarrrg
2015-08-20, 10:49 PM
It's a bit more niche, but worth mentioning:
Paladin + Cavalier Order of the Stars (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/cavalier/orders/paizo---cavalier-orders/order-of-the-star)
Cleric (or other Channeling class) + Cavalier Order of the Stars.

All levels count as 1.5 for progression of Lay on Hands and/or Channeling power.

You also need to be VERY selective with Witch Hexes due to the "as a 1st level Witch" rider.
This tanks the Saving Throws of any offensive Hexes, and minimizes the duration of any Hex with a duration.
There are still some gems, but it's by no means a free-for-all.

Extra Anchovies
2015-08-20, 10:55 PM
I've already posted a bunch of comments on the doc, mostly about Wizard, Magus, and Witch; feel free to respond to them in-thread or on the doc. I'm the little black cat icon (and also currently the only source of comments on the doc).

Likewise, You can get 10 ET without losing out on any caster levels with a VMC Battle/Metal Oracle taking Skill at Arms. This will work especially well with a Blade Adept Arcanist, if you want to go that route.

What's ET? It'd be nice if you explained uncommon abbreviations (i.e. anything outside simple stuff like BAB, VMC, CRB, etc).

Cavalier VMC Bard can get into Battle Herald without "wasting" caster levels, potentially making for a fairly competent front line support for people that don't want to be casters.

Cavalier/Battle Herald [Bard] also gets an eventual +7 Inspire Courage, which I think is the highest possible without spells or items.

Ilorin Lorati
2015-08-20, 11:08 PM
Sorry, Eldritch Knight. I still had Arcane Trickster in my head and typo'd. It's fixed now.

Edit:

This popped into my head after looking over the Dread Guide: Dread [Monk] would probably work very well for a Broken Dreams Style build.

Arbane
2015-08-21, 03:55 AM
It occurs to me that a Cleric that VMCs Monk would FINALLY have a use for those otherwise useless spells like Ki Leech.

Oracle VMC Barbarian might be able to get into Rage Prophet without too much pain?

Novawurmson
2015-08-21, 07:36 AM
Made a ton of updates based on everyone's feedback, including adding a small section on the prestige classes mentioned, re-rating most of the wizard arcane schools (especially the focused schools), and knocking down/toning down the rhetoric on a lot of ratings on the oracle and witch.

Psyren
2015-08-21, 09:22 AM
@OP: A good section to add concerning VMC is retraining. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/basics-ability-scores/more-character-options/retraining) Two important facts here:

1) You can retrain your VMC (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/character-advancement#TOC-Variant-Multiclassing) - whether to enter it, to go from one to another, or to alter the choices you made when taking it in the first place. It can be expensive to do so (both in terms of time and money, especially if you have to go it alone with no trainer) but you can do it. This allows you to wait to take a VMC that is terrible at low levels, e.g. Monk, and enjoy the feats. as you level instead; alternatively, you can go with a VMC that is better early on and then switch to another VMC that is better at mid-late levels, or choose a VMC option that is good at low levels and then retrain to one that is better at high levels.

2) PF retraining is retroactive (http://paizo.com/paizo/faq/v5748nruor1gn#v5748eaic9r9h) - they look at your character as it currently stands rather than making you take abilities in strict sequence. This means that you can get an ability at X, and then retrain an earlier feat/class feature/etc into one that needed X as a prerequisite. For example, a VMC barbarian cannot take Extra Rage Power until they actually gain a rage power at 11 - but once you hit 11, you can retrain any or all of your level 1, 5 and 9 feats into Extra Rage Power even though those feats came before, and you will count as a Barbarian 5 when selecting those feats (half of 11.) This has a big impact on certain builds.

It occurs to me that a Cleric that VMCs Monk would FINALLY have a use for those otherwise useless spells like Ki Leech.

Ki Leech is a Qinggong power, that's it's main use as a spell. Monks can keep it on all day long and it pays for itself. It's not really for clerics.

Sacred Fist VMC Monk isn't a bad choice though - nearly doubling their ki pool and getting Evasion + Imp Evasion, plus they can use the Replenish Ki spell. The Unarmed Strike ability is wasted/redundant however.

Ilorin Lorati
2015-08-21, 09:37 AM
For Alchemist:

I think it's worth noting that the Underground Chemist archetype for rogues works well with Alchemist VMC, with the archetype granting:

1/2 Level to Alchemy checks that stacks with the VMC Alchemy bonus - have you ever wanted to be good at Alchemy with literally no effort?
Intelligence to Damage for Alchemical splash weapons
Sneak attack with splash weapons, potentially including non-primary targets (though the wording is unclear)
Compatibility with Scout (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/rogue/archetypes/paizo---rogue-archetypes/scout), granting easy sneak attack after 8, and fairly easy sneak attack with Charging Hurler (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/charging-hurler-combat) before then.

Drop Dead Studios also has a similar archetype, Chemist, that's even better if it's allowed, granting all of the above except the potential to sneak attack on non-primary targets plus:

Its own pool of bombs with a special damage bonus that stacks with the increased number of dice from the Alchemist Bombs feature.

grarrrg
2015-08-21, 09:09 PM
Oracle VMC Barbarian might be able to get into Rage Prophet without too much pain?

Correct, but Rage Prophets are still horrible, so I'm not sure why you would want to do this.

[insert Psyren reply here]

NightbringerGGZ
2015-08-22, 01:57 AM
If you take Fighter (Lorewarden/Martial Master) with a Bard VMC you wind up being able to tailor your feats to each combat situation while having enough potential skill to contribute outside of battle. This combination pushes the Fighter into Tier 3 territory.

Lore Warden grants 2 skill points that must be spent on Knowledge skills and makes all Knowledge skills class skills. Getting Bardic Knowledge at level 3 allows you to split your ranks between 4 knowledge skills. With a 12 Int and your favored class bonus you can have an effective 8 skill ranks per level. At level 11 get Versatile Performance and the ability to retrain skill ranks, so now you've got 9 effective skill points per level.

Your level 7 Bard ability is specifically labeled Bardic Performance, which means you qualify for lingering performance, effectively tripling your performance rounds per day.

Lore Warden gives you Combat Expertise effectively for free, and you trade Armor Training for scaling bonuses to all CMB & CMD checks. Starting at level 5, Martial Master allows you to pick up a different Improved Maneuver feat in each combat. With the combined bonuses you'll be able to land maneuvers even at high levels.

Molosse
2015-08-22, 02:33 AM
If you take Fighter (Lorewarden/Martial Master) with a Bard VMC you wind up being able to tailor your feats to each combat situation while having enough potential skill to contribute outside of battle. This combination pushes the Fighter into Tier 3 territory.

Lore Warden grants 2 skill points that must be spent on Knowledge skills and makes all Knowledge skills class skills. Getting Bardic Knowledge at level 3 allows you to split your ranks between 4 knowledge skills. With a 12 Int and your favored class bonus you can have an effective 8 skill ranks per level. At level 11 get Versatile Performance and the ability to retrain skill ranks, so now you've got 9 effective skill points per level.

Your level 7 Bard ability is specifically labeled Bardic Performance, which means you qualify for lingering performance, effectively tripling your performance rounds per day.

Lore Warden gives you Combat Expertise effectively for free, and you trade Armor Training for scaling bonuses to all CMB & CMD checks. Starting at level 5, Martial Master allows you to pick up a different Improved Maneuver feat in each combat. With the combined bonuses you'll be able to land maneuvers even at high levels.

The main issue being, of course, that the Lore Wardens Know Thy Enemy ability grants a Competence Bonus, as does Inspire Courage.

NightbringerGGZ
2015-08-22, 02:58 AM
The main issue being, of course, that the Lore Wardens Know Thy Enemy ability grants a Competence Bonus, as does Inspire Courage.

Granted, but the abilities are used in somewhat different circumstances. At level 7 Inspire Courage will provide +1 to attack and damage to all allies in range. At levels 9 and 15 your Inspire Courage bonus goes up by another +1.

Know Thy Enemy gives you knowledge of abilities and a +2 bonus, but only you get the bonus and you have to pass a skill check. Since the bonus never scales, this winds up being more of a backup ability for yourself.

Also remember that you get Inspire Competence at level 7. If you pick up the Helpful (Halfling) trait and Lingering Performance (via retraining) then you can start a performance and then have two rounds to perform an Aid Another check to grant a +6 on any skill checks that will scale up to a +9.

Molosse
2015-08-22, 05:54 AM
Granted, but the abilities are used in somewhat different circumstances. At level 7 Inspire Courage will provide +1 to attack and damage to all allies in range. At levels 9 and 15 your Inspire Courage bonus goes up by another +1.

Know Thy Enemy gives you knowledge of abilities and a +2 bonus, but only you get the bonus and you have to pass a skill check. Since the bonus never scales, this winds up being more of a backup ability for yourself.

Also remember that you get Inspire Competence at level 7. If you pick up the Helpful (Halfling) trait and Lingering Performance (via retraining) then you can start a performance and then have two rounds to perform an Aid Another check to grant a +6 on any skill checks that will scale up to a +9.

No doubt, In any case it's a damn good build.

StreamOfTheSky
2015-08-22, 08:56 AM
Is VMC listed anywhere on d20pfsrd or the PRD? I see Unchained Classes on d20pfsrd, but no VMC. I really just want to see a simple breakdown by each level of the VMC goodies you get, repeated for each class. No need for wordy explanations, just the meat of what you're getting when.

Sorcerer bloodlines: IME with the Eldritch Heritage feat line, other than a familiar the initial EH feat was fairly underwhelming and it was the Imp. EH that gave the really potent options, so Sorcerer VMC locking that out for an extra 4 levels sounds pretty painful.
EDIT: For example, the 9th level power Water's Fury (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/sorcerer/bloodlines/bloodlines-from-paizo/marid-bloodline) remains one of my absolute favorite bloodline powers to yoink, and would be an example of one you'd have a 4-level delay in obtaining. Kind of shocked the unlimited use aspect of it wasn't nerfed yet, honestly. Yes it's for a caster, but w/ the feat any martial could take it, and paizo's usually pretty swift about nerfing goodies for martials.
Water’s Fury (Su): At 9th level, you gain the ability to summon a rushing jet of water from the elemental plane of water and direct it against your foes. As a standard action, you can create a jet of water in a 60-foot line that deals 1d6 points of damage per two sorcerer levels you possess, and blinds the target that was struck for 1d6 rounds. A Reflex save (DC 10 + 1/2 your sorcerer level + your Charisma bonus) reduces the damage by half and negates the blinding effect.

Magus sounds by far the most intriguing. Wizard with Magus VMC that goes into Eldritch Knight sounds fun, but I guess you'd be forced to multiclass 1 level for the proficiencies. :smallfrown:

You are still allowed to multiclass normally if you choose VMC, and rack up VMC features based on *character* level, right?
And can you do actual multiclassing into your VMC, or is that locked out? If you can...would there be any situations where actually dipping into your VMC would be helpful? VMC does seem to skip quite a few major class features...

Molosse
2015-08-22, 09:04 AM
Is VMC listed anywhere on d20pfsrd or the PRD? I see Unchained Classes on d20pfsrd, but no VMC. I really just want to see a simple breakdown by each level of the VMC goodies you get, repeated for each class. No need for wordy explanations, just the meat of what you're getting when.

Sorcerer bloodlines: IME with the Eldritch Heritage feat line, other than a familiar the initial EH feat was fairly underwhelming and it was the Imp. EH that gave the really potent options, so Sorcerer VMC locking that out for an extra 4 levels sounds pretty painful.

Magus sounds by far the most intriguing. Wizard with Magus VMC that goes into Eldritch Knight sounds fun, but I guess you'd be forced to multiclass 1 level for the proficiencies. :smallfrown:

You are still allowed to multiclass normally if you choose VMC, and rack up VMC features based on *character* level, right?
And can you do actual multiclassing into your VMC, or is that locked out? If you can...would there be any situations where actually dipping into your VMC would be helpful? VMC does seem to skip quite a few major class features...

There we go mate: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/character-advancement

The descriptions for each VMC are pretty damn concise, usually referencing the class features by name rather than detailing what each one does.

Yes you can still multiclass after grabbing a VMC at level 1, though you can't multiclass into your VMC class. Finally yes, all the VMC features are based on character level, not class level.
Oh, as an aside a VMC Oracle (Battle/Metal) gives you the proficiencies you need as a Wizard to jump into E.Knight.

Also, so as not to cause confusion later on, it's important to remember that you don't gain the VMC class as an actual class, instead you simply gain Class Features. For example a Level 4 Slayer (VMC Fighter) would still not clarify for Weapon Specialization, nor would a Cavalier (VMC Bard) gain the Bard related benefits of a Banner of Ancient Kings.

StreamOfTheSky
2015-08-22, 09:21 AM
Cool, thanks.

And my idea was to combine the spellstrike of Magus VMC (plus all the other amazing goodies it grants) with an arcane spell list, since those tend to have most of the touch spells I'd want to be spellstriking with. Wizard is just the best natural fit since it's Int-based (some Magus abilities are int-based, not just their spells) and has such a big spell list.
Taking Oracle as a VMC to get martial proficiencies and then locking me out of Magus VMC I wanted to combo w/ Eldritch Knight is self-defeating.

Did paizo ever fix that crazy Inner Sea World option that let a wizard ignore a few levels of CL loss (it wasn't even a feat or archetype, just a background choice; and i think it gave you back ALL of the benefits of higher CL, not just for numerical parameters)? If you can erase the two lost CL from fighter dip 1 and eldritch knight 1, I guess it doesn't really matter.

Molosse
2015-08-22, 09:26 AM
Cool, thanks.

And my idea was to combine the spellstrike of Magus VMC (plus all the other amazing goodies it grants) with an arcane spell list, since those tend to have most of the touch spells I'd want to be spellstriking with. Wizard is just the best natural fit since it's Int-based (some Magus abilities are int-based, not just their spells) and has such a big spell list.
Taking Oracle as a VMC to get martial proficiencies and then locking me out of Magus VMC I wanted to combo w/ Eldritch Knight is self-defeating.

Did paizo ever fix that crazy Inner Sea World option that let a wizard ignore a few levels of CL loss (it wasn't even a feat or archetype, just a background choice; and i think it gave you back ALL of the benefits of higher CL, not just for numerical parameters)? If you can erase the two lost CL from fighter dip 1 and eldritch knight 1, I guess it doesn't really matter.

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/traits/magic-traits/magical-knack ?

StreamOfTheSky
2015-08-22, 09:38 AM
No, it's better than that. Looks like you join a "guild" and get benefits. The ones i was thinking of were Eclectic Training and Esoteric Training (http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2oz1j?Help-with-making-a-Mystic-Theurge#10).

I don't think the full text is available online, other than maybe quoted in some paizo forum post.

Alasdair89
2015-08-22, 09:54 AM
One quick thought on VMC wizard - for the arcane discovery you can pick True Name and it seems to me like you can get access to summoning a planetar (picked as a 15th level character you can summon up to an 18 HD outsider) That seems pretty awesome to me, summoning a 16th CL outsider that also functions as a melee tank.

Serafina
2015-08-22, 10:35 AM
No, it's better than that. Looks like you join a "guild" and get benefits. The ones i was thinking of were Eclectic Training and Esoteric Training (http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2oz1j?Help-with-making-a-Mystic-Theurge#10).

I don't think the full text is available online, other than maybe quoted in some paizo forum post.Well, it's something that is obviously setting- and campaign-locked.
But yes, Membership-Benefits offer some pretty insane advantages.

Basically, that part of factions works like this:
You get to make a skill check (DC 15+your current ranks in the skill). The guideline is that you get to make about 4-6 of these per level. So assuming you pick something where you have a decent Attribute-bonus or other sources of a skill-bonus, you can easily succeed at three checks or so per level. Each check increases your "Fame" by one.
You can also increase Fame by fulfilling specific tasks.

The first benefit you mentioned unlocks at 5 Fame, and does increase your "effective caster level" (it explicitly mentions spells per day and spells known) by one. So you can easily have a one-level dip at level 3 or so without losing any spells, only class features.
At 35 fame, that increases to 3. Enjoy your three levels in any class you want without losing any spellcasting. You should be able to get that around Level 10 or so.

And that's not even the full benefit. The various guilds have other benefits. Heck, one of the academies (which give different fame-rewards by default, but hey, in theory you could join both) just flat-out gives you Druid-spells on your Arcane list, albeit at two spell levels higher. Still pretty insane.

The whole thing is clearly something for the GM to structure campaigns around, and not something that's assumed default. Really, you shouldn't allow it in most campaigns - the power level is just wildly divergent. It ranges from "make a skill a class skill or gain a minor diplomacy bonus" to, well "flat-out advance your spellcasting".

Extra Anchovies
2015-08-22, 11:10 AM
Cool, thanks.

Blade Adept (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/hybrid-classes/arcanist/archetypes/paizo---arcanist-archetypes/blade-adept) Arcanists can get Spellstrike too, but how it's worded you might still need to pick up Broad Study to spellstrike with Arcanist spells that aren't also on the Magus list. Blade Adept Arcanist 7 VMC Oracle allows for single-classed EK entry with spellstrike (and a Black Blade, too).

StreamOfTheSky
2015-08-22, 12:12 PM
Yeah, I had a thought "Arcanist is like Wizard or Sorc on steroids, so maybe they'd make a better base for this idea." Then I saw Blade Adept and that Arcanist outshines my whole build idea all on its own. :smallfrown:

I stopped paying attention to PF right around when the hybrid classes came out, I forgot that Arcanist had an archetype to obsolete nearly any other class.

Rainshine
2015-08-22, 04:03 PM
I find it interesting that Oracle is the only VMC that seems to gives very specific limits on what you can do with it. While it doesn't specify mysteries, it does specify available revelations, so if you don't take the right mysteries, you don't get anything? Given that one of the revelations I'd have been interested in VMCing for (Awesome Display) isn't on the list of approved revelations, I'm going with the explanation it's only a example list of revelations available.
VMC into Hunger or Wolf-Scarred Oracle gives you a permanent bite attack that actually increases in damage, so that might be mildly useful for some Natural Weapons builds?

Vhaidara
2015-08-22, 04:16 PM
I'm pretty sure the listed revelations are very much not examples. There are some very pointed omissions (both Cha to AC revelations, for example)

grarrrg
2015-08-22, 05:18 PM
I'm pretty sure the listed revelations are very much not examples. There are some very pointed omissions (both Cha to AC revelations, for example)

^ This ^
They are not examples, there are the only allowed options.
You'll note that even if a Revelation is shared between Mysteries, one VMC-Mystery may allow it, while another does not.

Such as Combat Healer. If you take Battle Mystery it is an option. But if you take Life Mystery it is NOT an option.

Rainshine
2015-08-22, 08:32 PM
Fair enough. Then why don't they say the Mysteries are limited? So you could select Metal or Wood Mystery, but be unable to take any revelations?

Arbane
2015-08-23, 12:20 AM

Sp if you had a Ring of Revelation (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/rings/ring-of-revelation) containing a revelation for your mystery that wasn't on the VMC-approved list, could you use it?

Psyren
2015-08-23, 12:46 AM
Sp if you had a Ring of Revelation (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/rings/ring-of-revelation) containing a revelation for your mystery that wasn't on the VMC-approved list, could you use itn

As written, you don't just need the right Mystery to use a Ring of Revelation, you need to also be an Oracle. Not only does VMC not make you an Oracle, going with VMC Oracle means you can't be an Oracle because you can't normal multiclass and variant multiclass into the same class on that character. So to use a Ring of Revelation without being an Oracle, you will need to UMD whether you VMC or not.

Serafina
2015-08-23, 12:48 AM
RAW?
It's is admittedly a bit muddy - but let's go by "VMC gives you exactly what it says it does, and not anything it doesn't explicitly say it does."

Then you never actually gain a level in your secondary class, since it never says that you do. It does say you "choose a secondary class", and are thus a member of that class, but it's never defined what that means.

That's a pretty important question for a number of feats that have class levels as prerequisites. RAW, you never fulfill them since you don't have any "class levels", at most you have "effective class levels" - those are defined already. Characters with animal companions typically have an "effective druid level" for those, but not for anything else, and you wouldn't argue that they're druids.

But!
We already know of a way a character can use a magic item that is for another class!
Use Magic Device - Emulate a Class.
That does explicitly treat you as a member of that class, with class levels and all.
Now, normally the ring wouldn't do anything if you did that, since you'd be lacking a Mystery for the ring to work with. But you do explicitly have the Mystery class feature - you just have a smaller list and don't qualify for a feat, but it's still explicitly a class feature. And the ring doesn't say anything about giving a revelation from a list.
So it goes like this:
- Do you have Oracle levels for the ring to activate? UMD says yes.
- Do you have the Mystery the ring is associated with? VMC says yes.
- Do you meet the oracle level requirement? VMC says yes
- You thus get Revelation X from Mystery Y. The ring doesn't care about limited lists, since it never says so.
So yes, it should give you that revelation. Congratulations, you can grab Charisma instead of Dex to AC for 10k gold and UMD-investment.

Of course, it'd be easy to say you shouldn't have to jump through so many hoops. Or to call shenanigans and to say that you could only gain a revelation from your list. Or to point at the extremely silly "Unofficial FYI" that somehow says that "this ring does not work for non-oracles" prevents the ring from working - even if you emulate oracle-levels via UMD.

Kurald Galain
2015-08-24, 03:52 AM
Regarding VMC'ing clerics, I'm a bit unclear if the Travel domain's movement rate counts as a "power", but if so then that would also be a good pick. Law domain can give a more-or-less permanent +4 to saves against fear and charm, and Plant has an interesting enlarge-self ability (as a swift action, no less).

For the wizard, note that the conjurer's teleportation mimics Dimension Door, meaning that using it ends your turn. The illusionist's blind doesn't work on enemies with more HD than you, which depending on the campaign may be the majority of everything you'll fight.

(edit) Also, feel free to link to my Magus guide (in my sig) for the Magus VMC, if you find it useful :smallcool:

Novawurmson
2015-08-24, 04:44 AM
Made some updates to the guide, including the suggestions regarding retraining, the Underground Chemist rogue, lore warden fighter, and a section on the DSP aegis.

The questions about whether or not you count as a class is an interesting one. I would lean towards "it does," because:

1). Multiclassing does, and this is a kind of multiclassing.

2). The retraining rules are priced based on the cost of retraining your class.

3). It's referred to as your "secondary class."

Still, that's not hard enough evidence to make a shut-out case for RAW.

I think I'll lean towards a "teach the controversy" for the guide.

grarrrg
2015-08-24, 08:04 PM
Regarding VMC'ing clerics, I'm a bit unclear if the Travel domain's movement rate counts as a "power"

You aren't the only one.

Hrugner
2015-08-24, 08:47 PM
I'm not certain that Mage alternate schools qualify as schools for the purpose of the mage VMC.

I also think stacking warpriest with magus VMC would be interesting. Yes it sucks to have all those swift actions taken up, but having two weapon bonus buffs that stack with other enhancements should open up some weird options. A forge priest would end up with a +3 at fifth level with both active, negating some mid level penetration problems and topping out at +11 near the end of your run. I don't know if it's good, but it sounds fun.

Molosse
2015-08-25, 04:17 AM
Here's a list of all the VMC combo's gathered from the old thread. Some have been mentioned already methinks but, in any case, there's the rest.

Bardic Cavalier - Grabbing the Bard VMC for a Cavalier let's me roll with that Ivo Taileffer build I've always wanted without dipping and PrC shenanigans. Honestly you can argue that a VMC'd Cavalier is downright superior to a Cav/(Bard/Sensei/Exemplar/Cleric) what with the fully scaling Mount, Banner, Challenge, BaB, Greater(Master) Tactician and Order abilities along with similar scaling for the Bardic Performance.

Knightly Crusader - Grabbing the Cavalier VMC for a Crusader Cleric for example let's you grab the full 10D6 Channel at level 12 if you take the Order of the Star. Makes for a great Holy Vindicator with Challenge, Channeling Force and Vindicators Shield really helping the damage and defensive potential.

Pitfighter - Gladiator/Two-Weapon Fighter with a Barbarian VMC not only grants you access to the Pitfighter PrC it also works damn well together with rage removing the need for a pair of Agile weapons so you can throw a bit into Cha and the like and really work a non-existent crowd with Performing Combatant.

Counterfeit Mage Rogue - [Unchained] Rogue, Minor/Major Magic Rogue talents, Wizard VMC, Counterfeit Mage archetype along with the new Skill Mastery feat into UMD is just all sorts of fluffy and, with the right choices, perhaps effective?

Bloodwitch (Witch + VMC Sorcerer) - gets you bloodline powers (the first 3) without needing Cha. This cuts down severely on the useful bloodlines since many of them want you to have high Cha, but for the few that don't care, this is a better option than the Eldritch Heritage line and gives you some interesting abilities. Good bloodlines for this include: Aquatic, Destined, Impossible, Martyred, Nanite, Orc, Pestilence and Protean. (This combination works on other non-Cha classes; Cha classes are possibly better off with the Eldritch Heritage line.)

Runesmith (Fighter + VMC Wizard) - this one is very useful for crafting-focused fighters. For this you want Arcane Builder or Golem Constructor, and of course Master Craftsman.

Sneaky Bomber (Underground Chemist - VMC Alchemist) - Do you like Bombs? Do you like more Bombs? Do you like Sneak Attack Damage off Bombs? Do you like coating Sneak Attack'd Bombs in Poison? Awesome, enjoy away.

Untiring Rage (Barbarian - VMC Oracle) - Grabbing, again, the Oracle VMC unto a Lame Curse for a Barbarian let's you, at level 10, ignore the issues normally found within Rage-Cycling. You'll also more than make up for your bad leg with both Fast Movement and ignoring movement penalties in armour at level 11.

Knightly Hospitaler - Going back again to the Order of the Star, it states that: "The cavalier adds 1/2 his cavalier level to any levels of paladin or cleric he might possess for the purposes of determining the effects of channel energy or lay on hands." Normally if one was to split for a Cavalier/Paladin you'd simply gain the Paladins somewhat weakened and limited Channel Energy but, by grabbing Hospitaler, you manage to scale both Class Features at an accelerated rate while making replacing the slower progression of Smite Evil with the Challenge ability from the Cavalier VMC which, when mixed with Chain Challenge, will let you rip through a specific encounter a day.

Knightly Vindicator - Take all of the above and jump into Holy Vindicator to not only maintain a decent scaling on Lay on Hands (Order of the Star) but the increased scaling on Channel Energy for the H.Vindicators class abilities. All it takes then is you grabbing the Bracers of the Merciful Knight to gain, depending on how it interacts with Order of the Star, a +4/6 level equivalency to Lay on Hands for both effect and frequency, finishing it up with Glorious Charge and your set to rock away.

Spellsinger - A Maestro Sorcerer (VMC Bard) or a Bard (VMC Maestro Sorcerer) both serve as thematic and effective enchantment and buffing based Cha builds with only a little work whilst making use of the Sorcerer's overall lack of need regarding Feats.

Fires of Faith - Paladin/VMCBarbarian, "PRAY, KILL, CLEANSE"

Elric VIII
2015-08-25, 03:01 PM
So, it looks to me like the Magus is definitely at the top of the bunch, and would be especially good on a more martial caster like the Bard, Cleric, or Inquisitor. Maybe a list of which Magus spells appear on other spell lists for the spellstrike class feature would be a good addition to the guide?

Novawurmson
2015-08-26, 02:16 AM
I'm not certain that Mage alternate schools qualify as schools for the purpose of the mage VMC.

I'm assuming you're talking about the wizard arcane schools; Paizo specified that anyone who takes a Domain can take subdomains - I'm applying the same logic to the Focused Arcane Schools (which are pretty much exactly like subdomains).

I also think stacking warpriest with magus VMC would be interesting. Yes it sucks to have all those swift actions taken up, but having two weapon bonus buffs that stack with other enhancements should open up some weird options. A forge priest would end up with a +3 at fifth level with both active, negating some mid level penetration problems and topping out at +11 near the end of your run. I don't know if it's good, but it sounds fun.

Warpiest has this text: "These bonuses stack with any existing bonuses the weapon might have, to a maximum of +5."

Magus has this text: " These bonuses can be added to the weapon, stacking with existing weapon enhancement to a maximum of +5."

So the maximum is definitely +5.

Here's a list of all the VMC combo's gathered from the old thread. Some have been mentioned already methinks but, in any case, there's the rest.

Bardic Cavalier - Grabbing the Bard VMC for a Cavalier let's me roll with that Ivo Taileffer build I've always wanted without dipping and PrC shenanigans. Honestly you can argue that a VMC'd Cavalier is downright superior to a Cav/(Bard/Sensei/Exemplar/Cleric) what with the fully scaling Mount, Banner, Challenge, BaB, Greater(Master) Tactician and Order abilities along with similar scaling for the Bardic Performance.

Knightly Crusader - Grabbing the Cavalier VMC for a Crusader Cleric for example let's you grab the full 10D6 Channel at level 12 if you take the Order of the Star. Makes for a great Holy Vindicator with Challenge, Channeling Force and Vindicators Shield really helping the damage and defensive potential.

Pitfighter - Gladiator/Two-Weapon Fighter with a Barbarian VMC not only grants you access to the Pitfighter PrC it also works damn well together with rage removing the need for a pair of Agile weapons so you can throw a bit into Cha and the like and really work a non-existent crowd with Performing Combatant.

Counterfeit Mage Rogue - [Unchained] Rogue, Minor/Major Magic Rogue talents, Wizard VMC, Counterfeit Mage archetype along with the new Skill Mastery feat into UMD is just all sorts of fluffy and, with the right choices, perhaps effective?

Bloodwitch (Witch + VMC Sorcerer) - gets you bloodline powers (the first 3) without needing Cha. This cuts down severely on the useful bloodlines since many of them want you to have high Cha, but for the few that don't care, this is a better option than the Eldritch Heritage line and gives you some interesting abilities. Good bloodlines for this include: Aquatic, Destined, Impossible, Martyred, Nanite, Orc, Pestilence and Protean. (This combination works on other non-Cha classes; Cha classes are possibly better off with the Eldritch Heritage line.)

Runesmith (Fighter + VMC Wizard) - this one is very useful for crafting-focused fighters. For this you want Arcane Builder or Golem Constructor, and of course Master Craftsman.

Sneaky Bomber (Underground Chemist - VMC Alchemist) - Do you like Bombs? Do you like more Bombs? Do you like Sneak Attack Damage off Bombs? Do you like coating Sneak Attack'd Bombs in Poison? Awesome, enjoy away.

Untiring Rage (Barbarian - VMC Oracle) - Grabbing, again, the Oracle VMC unto a Lame Curse for a Barbarian let's you, at level 10, ignore the issues normally found within Rage-Cycling. You'll also more than make up for your bad leg with both Fast Movement and ignoring movement penalties in armour at level 11.

Knightly Hospitaler - Going back again to the Order of the Star, it states that: "The cavalier adds 1/2 his cavalier level to any levels of paladin or cleric he might possess for the purposes of determining the effects of channel energy or lay on hands." Normally if one was to split for a Cavalier/Paladin you'd simply gain the Paladins somewhat weakened and limited Channel Energy but, by grabbing Hospitaler, you manage to scale both Class Features at an accelerated rate while making replacing the slower progression of Smite Evil with the Challenge ability from the Cavalier VMC which, when mixed with Chain Challenge, will let you rip through a specific encounter a day.

Knightly Vindicator - Take all of the above and jump into Holy Vindicator to not only maintain a decent scaling on Lay on Hands (Order of the Star) but the increased scaling on Channel Energy for the H.Vindicators class abilities. All it takes then is you grabbing the Bracers of the Merciful Knight to gain, depending on how it interacts with Order of the Star, a +4/6 level equivalency to Lay on Hands for both effect and frequency, finishing it up with Glorious Charge and your set to rock away.

Spellsinger - A Maestro Sorcerer (VMC Bard) or a Bard (VMC Maestro Sorcerer) both serve as thematic and effective enchantment and buffing based Cha builds with only a little work whilst making use of the Sorcerer's overall lack of need regarding Feats.

Fires of Faith - Paladin/VMCBarbarian, "PRAY, KILL, CLEANSE"

I've already added a couple, and I'll continue adding them as I have time. Speaking of Paladin VMC Barbarian, I'm writing up a build/NPC for the guide called "Holy Wrath (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=510067)." It's unfinished as of now, but it's going to be a level 12 Bloodrager VMC Paladin.

So, it looks to me like the Magus is definitely at the top of the bunch, and would be especially good on a more martial caster like the Bard, Cleric, or Inquisitor. Maybe a list of which Magus spells appear on other spell lists for the spellstrike class feature would be a good addition to the guide?

Oh, it'd be a good addition to the guide, but it'd be an enormous amount of effort for the value.

grarrrg
2015-08-26, 02:51 AM

Oh, it'd be a good addition to the guide, but it'd be an enormous amount of effort for the value.

Broad Study (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/magus/magus-arcana/paizo---magus-arcana/broad-study-ex) says "Hi".

Hrugner
2015-08-26, 04:01 AM
I'm assuming you're talking about the wizard arcane schools; Paizo specified that anyone who takes a Domain can take subdomains - I'm applying the same logic to the Focused Arcane Schools (which are pretty much exactly like subdomains).

Warpiest has this text: "These bonuses stack with any existing bonuses the weapon might have, to a maximum of +5."

Magus has this text: " These bonuses can be added to the weapon, stacking with existing weapon enhancement to a maximum of +5."

So the maximum is definitely +5.

The forge priest can add 1 to that (with no mention of the +5 limit, so I assume it stands) but otherwise yes, you'd need to move that benefit to other bonuses on the weapon other than straight +10 choosing from dancing, flaming, flaming burst, frost, icy burst, keen, shock, shocking burst, speed, or vorpal from the magus set and brilliant energy, defending, disruption, flaming, frost, keen, and shock as well as the alignment specific ones from the other set, you should be able to spend them fairly easily. Note that while they do indicate the +5 limit, they don't indicate the +10 total limit.

Slithery D
2015-08-26, 11:10 AM

It works pretty well for the Mesmerist and Occultist (especially with Battle Host archetype), too.

Mesmerist can use Vampiric Touch with Spellstrike, and can certainly benefit from the extra combat abilities from Arcane Pool. Int as a dump stat restricts useful Arcana, but it's not a big deal.

Occultist has Int as casting stat, but on a first glance is limited to Shocking Grasp for Spellstrike, and Broad Study doesn't give any really amazing options, but obviously Arcane Pool options lets you do some sick weapon enhancements on top of what you already had. After third level spend your first round to use Legacy Weapon (standard) and Arcane Pool (swift) to achieve LOL-worthy low level weapons.

StreamOfTheSky
2015-08-26, 05:13 PM
Broad Study (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/magus/magus-arcana/paizo---magus-arcana/broad-study-ex) says "Hi".

It'd be a shame to waste a lot of arcana (ie, feat slots....and with VMC you lose 5 of those to begin with) just ot make up for deficiencies, though. Same deal in reverse for spells on the main class's list that aren't on Magus's that you want to take Spell Blending on so they can count for spellstrike. The only such spell I can think of for such a purpose would be Calcific Touch, though.

In any case, quality trumps quantity. There's clearly a small handful of Magus spells that benefit the most from spellstrike and it's expanded critical hit range for touch spells. You don't need all of them on your main caster, just as many as possible from the top tier list. Said list would be:

Shocking Grasp
Frostbite
Frigid Touch
Vampiric Touch

...I think that's about it, honestly. I may have missed one or two, but Magus's spellstrike really focuses around a small number of spells.

grarrrg
2015-08-26, 08:19 PM
It'd be a shame to waste a lot of arcana (ie, feat slots....and with VMC you lose 5 of those to begin with) just ot make up for deficiencies, though.

You can always pick it up as part of the VMC-package though. Although that's annoying if playing the character to 11 instead of just starting at a high level, due to the 4 level gaps between "Arcana > Spellstrike > Arcana".

Buy yeah, kinda sub-optimal.

Florian
2015-10-26, 07:24 AM
The Occultist synergies pretty well with VMC, so good, that the class seems to be made with VMC in mind.

Occultist/Evocation + Magus = Truly brutal Spellstrike, as you can pimp Shocking Grasp even more.
Occultist/Transmutation + Magus = Pimp ypur weapon deluxe.
Occultist/Conjuration + Summoner = Well, look at that, the pretty useless Resonant Power suddenly got interesting.

Remember that Occult classes can't, by RAW, take Eldritch Strike or sich feats, as they're neither arcane nor devine casters, so:
Occultist + Air School Wizard = Fly at Will as an SLA to gain and power ES.

@Fighter VMC: I do 't really agree with your rating. There're enough classes that use the same equipment but are not feat-starved which actually gain something worthwhile here. Paladin comes to mind.

Psyren
2015-10-26, 08:20 AM
You can always pick it up as part of the VMC-package though. Although that's annoying if playing the character to 11 instead of just starting at a high level, due to the 4 level gaps between "Arcana > Spellstrike > Arcana".

Buy yeah, kinda sub-optimal.

You can explicitly retrain VMC so there's no need to suffer at low levels. From 1-10, play X normally, where X is your chosen class, and then when you hit 11 retrain into the VMC of your choice. It take some in-game downtime but it's doable. (By 11 you can also taxi to a fast-time plane to pull it off.)

Slithery D
2016-03-19, 05:37 PM
One correction to your Sorcerer notes:
Keep in mind you do not get the bloodline spells, and arcane bloodline does not grant you spells as per the FAQ above (unless your GM rules otherwise).

I think the plain language of the FAQ only limits you from adding new spells to your list. If the bonus spells are both on the Wizard/Sorcerer list and your spell list (not uncommon for Oracles and especially Psychics) you should be able to pick extra spells known from that intersection.

Novawurmson
2016-03-20, 03:44 AM

I think the plain language of the FAQ only limits you from adding new spells to your list. If the bonus spells are both on the Wizard/Sorcerer list and your spell list (not uncommon for Oracles and especially Psychics) you should be able to pick extra spells known from that intersection.

I like your argument and have added to the guide. :smallsmile:

Florian
2016-03-20, 05:05 AM

Hm... Sorry, I don´t get you there.
As far as I understand it, you don´t get the Bonus Spells class feature of any class via VMC, also not the ability to cast any spells or have a CL.

How then should you be able to add/access those spells? What am I not seeing here?

@Novawurmson:

Consider adding those two to the list:
- Paladin VMC Oracle (Life) as the sleeker version of the Lifelink-Oradin.
- Warpriest VMC Cleric as the functionally better version of the Bad Touch Cleric approach.

Slithery D
2016-03-20, 12:00 PM
Hm... Sorry, I don´t get you there.
As far as I understand it, you don´t get the Bonus Spells class feature of any class via VMC, also not the ability to cast any spells or have a CL.

How then should you be able to add/access those spells? What am I not seeing here?

The FAQ isn't about VMC, it's a general rule that appears on the RPG Core Rulebook FAQ.

New Spells Known: If I gain the ability to add a spell that is not on my spell list to my list of spells known, without adding it to my spell list, can I cast it?
No. Adding a spell to your list of spells known does not add it to the spell list of that class unless they are added by a class feature of that same class. For example, sorcerers add their bloodline spells to their sorcerer spell list and oracles add their mystery spells to their oracle spell list. The spell slots of a class can only be used to cast spells that appear on the spell list of that class.

and

New Arcana (Ex): At 9th level, you can add any one spell from the sorcerer/wizard spell list to your list of spells known. This spell must be of a level that you are capable of casting. You can also add one additional spell at 13th level and 17th level.

The FAQ prevents you from adding the spell to the spell list of your original class. But lots of Sorceror/Wizard spells are already on your spell list if you are an Oracle or Psychic. The New Arcana ability also doesn't add spells to your spell list. It adds them to your spells known. The FAQ further specifies that "the spell slots of a class can only be used to cast spells that appear on the spell list of that class." So, again, pick something that is on both lists and you're fine. Your only problem is you add a Sorcerer/Wizard spell to your spells known that you can't actually cast because it's not on your list.

Basically the clear intent of the FAQ is to prevent you from picking off list spells to expand your options. It's not obviously intended to stop you from picking extra spells known off your existing list - that's what the Sorcerer gets out of this in the first place, so if they're allowed to pull any Sorcerer/Wizard spell, it's not imbalanced for you to pick from only those already on your own class list.

the_archduke
2016-03-20, 03:15 PM
What about a half-orc barbarian VMC inquisitor. Solo tactics + amplified rage is the big draw. Stern gaze makes for some awesome intimidate checks and judgments of destruction or purity would go well with rage.

Actually, half orc inquisitor VMC barbarian might do the same thing a bit better

Florian
2016-03-20, 06:06 PM
Actually, half orc inquisitor VMC barbarian might do the same thing a bit better

Not that cool because you can already do the exact same thing with the Rage subdomain w/o losing feats (and shut down your own spellcasting) for it.

the_archduke
2016-03-20, 07:04 PM
You are probably right Florian. I think the first idea was good though. Take power attack at 1, amplified rage at 9. What other feats does a barbarian need?

the_archduke
2016-03-20, 09:17 PM
VMC rogue would also be good for sniper Marksmen. The feat Assasin's shot requires sneak attack, and this way you don't have to dip. Marksmen also get bonus feats, so the feats lost to VMC are manageable

Florian
2016-03-21, 03:14 AM
You are probably right Florian. I think the first idea was good though. Take power attack at 1, amplified rage at 9. What other feats does a barbarian need?

A lot. Mostly Extra Rage Power :D

Fun aside, there´re enough solid feats that you actually want on your Barbarian, from Raging Vitality to Strike Back, Dazing Assault, Amplified Rage, Improved Critical, Critical Focus and so on. Ok, and then Extra Rage Power as often as you want.
Stuff like the Beast Totem chain turns the Barbarian into a feat hog, as you want to pounce and still get the other, actually more useful rage powers along with that.

the_archduke
2016-03-25, 08:36 AM
Is there anything that would prevent a Slayer from going VMC rogue? Wouldn't that give him 10d6 sneak attack by 19th? Slayer has so many bonus feat options from his talents that the lost feats wouldn't be that painful.

Florian
2016-03-25, 10:38 AM
Is there anything that would prevent a Slayer from going VMC rogue? Wouldn't that give him 10d6 sneak attack by 19th? Slayer has so many bonus feat options from his talents that the lost feats wouldn't be that painful.

It should not be possible. An ACG class has two parent classes listed and a VMC can´t be chosen when the class is already part of the character. Slayer lists Fighter and Rogue as parent classes, so VMC Rogue should not work. This evaluation is based in the entry text to VMC.

Vhaidara
2016-03-25, 10:47 AM
It should not be possible. An ACG class has two parent classes listed and a VMC can´t be chosen when the class is already part of the character. Slayer lists Fighter and Rogue as parent classes, so VMC Rogue should not work. This evaluation is based in the entry text to VMC.

Except that Hybrid classes can freely multiclass with their parent classes. IIRC, that was a relic from very early in the ACG playtest that got dropped. It is entirely possible to play a Rogue/Slayer/Ranger/Hunter/Druid or a Gunslinger/Swashbuckler/Fighter/Brawler/Monk or a Wizard/Arcanist/Sorcerer/Bloodrager/Barbarian

Wow, 6 of the hybrid classes actually repeated a parent.

Florian
2016-03-25, 11:03 AM
Except that Hybrid classes can freely multiclass with their parent classes. IIRC, that was a relic from very early in the ACG playtest that got dropped. It is entirely possible to play a Rogue/Slayer/Ranger/Hunter/Druid or a Gunslinger/Swashbuckler/Fighter/Brawler/Monk or a Wizard/Arcanist/Sorcerer/Bloodrager/Barbarian

Wow, 6 of the hybrid classes actually repeated a parent.

I´m not talking about the entry text to ACG classes, I´m especially referring to the entry text of VMC.
ACG lists parent classes but doesn´t ban multiclassing with the parent. VMC does, tho. It especially calls out not allowing to multiclass the regular class with the VMC class.

Vhaidara
2016-03-25, 11:05 AM
I´m not talking about the entry text to ACG classes, I´m especially referring to the entry text of VMC.
ACG lists parent classes but doesn´t ban multiclassing with the parent. VMC does, tho. It especially calls out not allowing to multiclass the regular class with the VMC class.

Yes, VMC cannot be taken with the normal class. Rogue cannot VMC Rogue. Slayer is not Rogue. Therefore Slayer can VMC Rogue.

Parent class is actually a completely meaningless term.

the_archduke
2016-03-25, 12:12 PM
Am I correct that Slayer sneak attack will stack with VMC Rogue sneak attack?

Florian
2016-03-25, 12:23 PM
Parent class is actually a completely meaningless term.

An ACG class is still tied to its parent classes. You can disregard that (I do), making the term meaningless or you can look at how it impacts interaction with other classes and see where that leads.

It certainly is interesting to note that some of the strongest combinations use an ACG class and a VMC that is one of its parent classes. To add cream on top, use an archetype that gives more features of the other parent class.

Vhaidara
2016-03-25, 01:12 PM
An ACG class is still tied to its parent classes. You can disregard that (I do), making the term meaningless or you can look at how it impacts interaction with other classes and see where that leads.

It certainly is interesting to note that some of the strongest combinations use an ACG class and a VMC that is one of its parent classes. To add cream on top, use an archetype that gives more features of the other parent class.

How are they tied to them?

Parent Classes: Each one of the following classes lists two classes that it draws upon to form the basis of its theme. While a character can multiclass with these parent classes, this usually results in redundant abilities. Such abilities don’t stack unless specified. If a class feature allows the character to make a one-time choice (such as a bloodline), that choice must match similar choices made by the parent classes and vice-versa (such as selecting the same bloodline).

What is this? A warning that you're going to have redundant class features. Oh, and a warning about bloodlines that they felt the need to repeat in Bloodrager anyways.

Psyren
2016-03-25, 01:24 PM
Am I correct that Slayer sneak attack will stack with VMC Rogue sneak attack?

Yes, they stack. In addition to +4d6 sneak attack, you also get (Improved) Uncanny Dodge, Evasion and the Trapfinding talent for free, so it's a pretty sweet deal as far as VMC goes.

Whether it shouldn't or not, it works RAW as the parent class restriction has been dropped (as Keledrath noted.)

UralaAlaha
2016-03-27, 02:52 AM
I noticed something in the guide I thought I'd point out. The Monk VMC is mentioned in the guide as coming down to your armour and wisdom; Except none of the class features it gives are based on Wisdom. Unarmed Strike is based on character level -2, the AC bonus is a steady +3 rather than the normal monk's scaling bonus and Wisdom modifier bonus, the Ki pool is based on 1/2 character level (no +Wis mod for the VMC, unlike the class, and none of the uses defined in the Ki pool class feature use Wis either) and neither Evasion nor Improved Evasion use it either.

Not the hugest complaint, but it is worth noting it's available to people of all levels of wisdom, so even the dimmest Barbarian gets the same bonuses as the brightest Cleric.