PDA

View Full Version : Shadowrun Assassin Rigger build help

Invader
2015-08-20, 07:44 PM
Evening all. I'm completely new to shadowrun so I could use some help with a build. My concept is an assassin rigger. I guess ideally he'd focus primarily on drones and using a sniper rifle for long distance kills. Hed set up the target with the drones and make the kill with the rifle or just use the drones directly for the kill.

All I know is pretty much everything is allowed, starting karma is 25 and equipment availability level is 6.

Is this concept viable to build? If it's not possible to be proficient both with the rifle and drones I'd rather make the drones as good as possible. Since I'm brand new though I'd like to keep things as simple as possible until I'm more familiar with the game and all the options.

Thanks!

Kid Jake
2015-08-20, 09:25 PM
Which edition?

Anonymouswizard
2015-08-21, 04:42 AM
Yeah, we need to know the edition, for example, in 1e-3e you'd probably want high (5+) Quickness and Intelligence for good gun skills and good drone skills, as well as a large combat pool (I've noticed that Street Sam seem to have one of the smallest with the way I build the archetypes, with Decker's getting the largest due to needing both Willpower and Intelligence with high Quickness being nice). In 4e you'd want good Logic to repair your drones and good Agility to aim your rifle, but controlling your drones is based on your commlink's control programming. In 5e you'll want good Reaction, Logic, and Intuition for repairing and using drones, Willpower to stop your drones getting hacked, and Agility for gun skills, but most builds want 4-5 stats high.

The first thing that pops into my head when you say 'Rigger assassin' is either a guy who sends out drones with guns to kill people, or someone who uses microdrones to improve his smartlink's aiming capabilities (no rule for this, but if your smartlink in 5e is wirelessly enabled I'd let the drones interact with it for a reduction of range penalties). Either is viable, but the first is slightly easier (and has slightly higher skills, but 4-6 points in flavour skills won't make a difference).

For skills, whatever edition you'll want the following as a rigger:
-Pilot skill(s) for your preferred drone type.
-Repair skills for drones (depends on edition)
-Pistols/Blades/Clubs/Unarmed Combat/Running in case the enemy gets close to you.
-Computers.

For the assassin part, just put 4-6 in the Stealth skill group and grab rifles/longarms.

Invader
2015-08-21, 04:49 AM
Sorry 5th edition.

Anonymouswizard
2015-08-21, 05:14 AM
Any idea what metatype you want? Otherwise I suggest the following priorities:
A: Resources (lots of drones, a good control rig, good fake SINs, and a good weapon. Availability 6 is a pain though)
B: Skills (you need several)
C: Attributes (not quite as important)
D: Metatype: human/Elf (you need good skills, can be moved up by one if you want Ork, Dwarf, or more edge)
E: Magic/Resonance (technomancer does little for you, and your required implant hampers magic)

The above assumes that you are using standard resources values, and the top three can be shifted around but I recommend keeping resources at A or B for lots of drones with good pilot programs. Availability 6 is really going to hurt, considering you can normally start with up to Availability 12, so I recommend seeing if there's no magic/Resonance concepts you like, as this will hit them less. Rigger is still doable, but a bit of a pain.

Invader
2015-08-21, 01:35 PM
Any idea what metatype you want? Otherwise I suggest the following priorities:
A: Resources (lots of drones, a good control rig, good fake SINs, and a good weapon. Availability 6 is a pain though)
B: Skills (you need several)
C: Attributes (not quite as important)
D: Metatype: human/Elf (you need good skills, can be moved up by one if you want Ork, Dwarf, or more edge)
E: Magic/Resonance (technomancer does little for you, and your required implant hampers magic)

The above assumes that you are using standard resources values, and the top three can be shifted around but I recommend keeping resources at A or B for lots of drones with good pilot programs. Availability 6 is really going to hurt, considering you can normally start with up to Availability 12, so I recommend seeing if there's no magic/Resonance concepts you like, as this will hit them less. Rigger is still doable, but a bit of a pain.

I'm open to meta type but I also was thinking either Human or Elf. I was considering A Skills and B Resources because it seemed like I might have a hard time spending that money all at once at 6.

I'm pretty set on rigger I definetely want to focus on drones more than driving. Sniping would be secondary unless I can't do them both well in which case I'd focus only on drones.