PDA

View Full Version : Question About Desert Wind Discipline

Draconium
2015-08-20, 09:41 PM
I have heard quite a bit of talk when it comes to ToB about how most of the Desert Wind maneuvers are pretty bad, and most of them seem to stem from the fact that most of it focuses on fire damage, which many creatures in the game are resistant or flat-out immune to, even more so than any other energy resistance/immunity. So, my question is this:

If you were playing in a game where fire resistance/immunity was nearly nonexistent, or were using a homebrew fix that allowed you to do other types of damage instead, then how good does Desert Wind "become" in comparison to the other Disciplines?

Also, on a partially-related note, how fun is a Desert Wind-focused Initiator to play/roleplay?

daremetoidareyo
2015-08-20, 09:54 PM
Desert wind with acid or sonic damage (SUNDER THUNDER!!!) would be fun.

Red Fel
2015-08-20, 10:07 PM
I have heard quite a bit of talk when it comes to ToB about how most of the Desert Wind maneuvers are pretty bad, and most of them seem to stem from the fact that most of it focuses on fire damage, which many creatures in the game are resistant or flat-out immune to, even more so than any other energy resistance/immunity. So, my question is this:

If you were playing in a game where fire resistance/immunity was nearly nonexistent, or were using a homebrew fix that allowed you to do other types of damage instead, then how good does Desert Wind "become" in comparison to the other Disciplines?

Well, you could start by looking over here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=14130450&postcount=3). This handbook offers a fairly solid assessment of maneuvers, organized by discipline.

As you can see, many options are labeled red or purple (both indicating inferior choices), and not just because of the fire damage. For example, Blistering Flourish requires a Fort save in a 30 foot area or things get dazzled. However, the save is pretty low DC, Fort tends to be a very solid save, dazzled isn't the most crippling debuff - it's overall underwhelming. Similarly, Wind Stride gives you +10 to movement speed, but there's more that you can do with your boosts. Mind you, it goes great with a Scout, but that's assuming multiclassing or the Martial Study feat.

On the other hand, some options do become more viable. Burning Blade deals 1d6 +1 per IL, which scales nicely. If you switched that to another energy type, it could be very useful. There's also the fact that energy damage, such as fire or cold, bypasses DR, which makes this maneuver very nice. Similarly, Burning Brand gives you reach and converts your weapon damage into fire damage; switching it into a more useful energy type (or even using it against non-fire resistant enemies) is a big boost. Fan the Flames gives you a nice, simple ranged touch attack that deals a solid chunk of energy damage. All good.

And then there are some maneuvers that are already viable. Distracting Ember gives you flanking, full stop. Desert Tempest lets you attack multiple enemies by moving around, which is delicious.

Mostly, though, in a campaign with either low or no fire resistance or the ability to switch out fire for a better energy descriptor, these maneuvers improve in value, if for no other reason than that tacking energy damage on sneaks you past DR. Extra damage is always a good thing.

Also, on a partially-related note, how fun is a Desert Wind-focused Initiator to play/roleplay?

Ehh... I wouldn't recommend focusing on a single discipline even when it's a very solid one. Some builds (read: Crusader) really don't have a choice in that regard, but as a Swordsage, you totally do. Can it be fun? Well, much of the discipline is precisely what ToB was trying to get away from - hit things for more damage. Most of the discipline is that. Perform an attack that deals damage. Perform an attack and add damage. Perform an attack and it damages things in a radius. Some of them have potential, like Death Mark (enemy a splode!) or Leaping Flame (or am I over here?), but many are just sources of slapping fire damage on.

It's like the discipline tries to turn you into a blaster Sorcerer, but without as much ranged utility.

But, hey, with the changes, it does at least become more functional. The fact is, those added dice don't generally scale, but they're solid. I mean, Fan the Flames is a third-level maneuver that deals 6d6 damage on a ranged touch attack - that's easy and powerful, a great combination. Your recovery mechanic is rubbish, but you've got a lot more where that came from.

WhamBamSam
2015-08-20, 10:14 PM
Desert Wind also has a lot of mobility to it, which I think makes it pretty fun, and some of it pretty good even with the issues with fire damage that other maneuvers in the discipline suffer from. How fun it is to RP, depends largely on how much you'd like to be "that really fast guy with the flaming sword."