PDA

View Full Version : Good System for a Witcher game

Maquise
2015-08-21, 01:08 AM
I was wondering if anyone knew of a system for roleplaying as Witchers, and if anyone had any experiences with it.

Freelance GM
2015-08-21, 04:17 AM
To be honest, I haven't tried it, but I'd suspect the dark, gritty Warhammer Fantasy RPG would do a nice job capturing the dark, gritty Witcher setting.

Yora
2015-08-21, 04:19 AM
I would go with Fantasy Age, that system seem perfect.

To play an actual witcher you'd need to make or find a homebrew specialization and spells for the signs, but other than that it's a really good fit.

Morty
2015-08-21, 04:37 AM
To be honest, I haven't tried it, but I'd suspect the dark, gritty Warhammer Fantasy RPG would do a nice job capturing the dark, gritty Witcher setting.

It might, but you'd need to tinker with the magic system a fair bit. Magic as presented in Warhammer Fantasy is very different from magic as presented in the Witcher-verse.

Actana
2015-08-21, 05:56 AM
A Witcher game comes more down to thematics and style than mechanics. A lone Witcher (or small group thereof) against single large monsters seems to be a thing the game should do well, as well as general monster hunting (not just limited to the slaying of monsters; the investigative process shouldn't be neglected either). There are a few things with the signs and magic, but I don't think either of them are anything too mechanically special. Everything else about the setting mostly comes down to presentation.

All in all, I'd say any generic fantasy system would work, keeping the above criteria in mind.

Knaight
2015-08-21, 12:37 PM
I'd be inclined to try Burning Wheel for this. It's a fairly gritty system, it is built such that character creation ties the characters deeply into their world, and while it is pretty crunchy it's an elegant crunch you get used to relatively quickly.

The Insanity
2015-08-23, 09:14 AM
Pathfinder/3.X.