PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Help with a BBEG

Azoth
2015-08-21, 01:38 AM
OK so I have an idea for an enemy to introduce to my game. This enemy is designed to mess with their heads as well as be a difficult fight. The idea is a sweet looking grandmother type in appearance to go unsuspected by the party for a while. Her main trick is to instill hedonism and lust in communities on a large scale. Basically have her roll into town, start passing out sweets and taking care of people for a few days and then one night the whole town loses all its morals and gives into their primal urges and desires. When the sun rises the next day, she is off to do it all again to another unsuspecting town. If cornered and confronted I want her to smile wide and saying in a loving voice, "Everyone deserves a nice big family." before cackling like a loon.

I have a feeling the build will rely heavily on the enchantment school, but I am unsure what spells or class to use for building this type of enemy.

TheifofZ
2015-08-21, 01:58 AM
There's a variety of paths that you could take for this sort of thing.
Going with a Witch and strong enchantment, maybe even a Dreamweaver Archetype, would lend her further mysteriousness, means, and motive. But you'd be comparatively gutted for dangerous options in battle. (That is; not just delaying and cherry tapping. Witches are very strong debuff/cc platforms, but compared to most other classes, their actual damage options are lackluster.)
Wizard with Enchantment focus isn't a terrible choice either. Stack in some decent combat spells and some debuffs, and you've got a lot of power under the hood... But her out of combat abilities will be a little on the weak side. Sorcerer could do similarly well, and much better with the social side of things.
And Oracle could also be good with the right set up.
But a lot of this depends on the kind of fight you want to give the party, the overall level, and the expected setting of the battle.

What I can tell you for sure is that diplomacy is something she'll need to help persuade everyone to her way of things.

Azoth
2015-08-21, 02:29 AM
I was looking to build her in a way where she is not a direct threat so damage is not a primary concern. I am mainly interested in giving her abilities that mechanically can control others and warp them to her will. I am looking for a controller type. Perhaps a splash of BFC/debuff to give a bit of battle longevity or an escape option.

When the fight breaks out, the challenge will be getting through the enchanted bystanders to actually deal with her.

The main issue I am having is finding a way to allow her to control large groups of people at once, even if the desired action is against their nature.

NevinPL
2015-08-21, 03:49 AM
Only book on hedonism I know of (sans it sadistic side in BoVD), is the Book of Erotic Fantasy.

sovin_ndore
2015-08-21, 02:32 PM
Well epic diplomacy checks can literally change people into fanatics and are entirely achievable. Mindbender and Thrallherd are some classes that leap to mind in the vein but they are not nearly as dramatic as what you are descibing. Evangelist is also a mundane approach to this sort of thing.

Nibbens
2015-08-21, 03:47 PM
Okay... this idea is a stretch but I could throw you in the direction of some ideas. What if you altered a hags special abilities?

For example:

Let's start with a Sea Hag (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/monstrous-humanoids/hag/hag-sea).

It has 2 abilities. The first is Evil Eye (Su)

Three times per day, a sea hag can cast her dire gaze upon any single creature within 30 feet. The target must succeed on a DC 14 Will save or be staggered as strange nebulous distress and a gnawing sense of impending doom plagues the victim. If a sea hag uses her evil eye on someone already afflicted by this curse, the victim must make a DC 14 Fortitude save or be overwhelmed with fright and collapse into a comatose state for 3 days. Each day that passes, the comatose victim must make a DC 14 Fortitude save or perish. The evil eye is a mind-affecting fear effect. The save DCs are Charisma-based.

Evil Eye Curse: Gaze—failed save; save Will DC 14; frequency 1/day; effect staggered (or fall comatose if already under the effects of the evil eye).

Let's change the nature of the curse a bit - instead of a perma staggered ability, make it a slow acting and more insidious version of Unnatural Lust (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/u/unnatural-lust).

Or alter her second ability:
The sight of a sea hag is so revolting that anyone within 60 feet (other than another hag) who sets eyes upon one must succeed on a DC 14 Fortitude save or instantly be weakened, taking 1d6 points of Strength damage. Creatures that are affected by this power or that successfully save against it cannot be affected again by the same hag's horrific appearance for 24 hours. This is a mind-affecting effect. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Instead of being weakened and taking 1d6 str damage - make it some variation of the unnatural lust which only comes out at night after a 12 hour incubation period, etc etc. Therefore your hag can do her thing, leave the town and be half way to the next one by the time the original town tears itself to pieces. The candy could be fluff or could be part of how the ability triggers or whatever,

HalfQuart
2015-08-21, 05:22 PM
What level is your party? (i.e. what CR are we trying to hit?)

Azoth
2015-08-21, 09:34 PM
Let's aim for the CR 10-12 range.

TheifofZ
2015-08-22, 02:51 AM
First off: Guys; he's asking for help in pathfinder, not 3.5. (Up there in the title, and all.) So some of these suggestions are right out anyway.
Like Thrallherd or Mindbender.

Secondly: I really like the idea of a Hag of some sort. Slapping on class levels will be necessary to get it to ~11, but that shouldn't be too terrible. Definitely go caster, though, to up her magic mojo and grant some cool bonuses.

Azoth
2015-08-22, 04:24 AM
Actually Thrallherd isn't off the table. We use first party and DSP. So since Dreamscarred press did port psionics to pathfinder it is a valid option.

Madbranch
2015-08-22, 04:46 AM
First off: Guys; he's asking for help in pathfinder, not 3.5. (Up there in the title, and all.) So some of these suggestions are right out anyway.
Like Thrallherd or Mindbender.

Secondly: I really like the idea of a Hag of some sort. Slapping on class levels will be necessary to get it to ~11, but that shouldn't be too terrible. Definitely go caster, though, to up her magic mojo and grant some cool bonuses.

Thrallherd is available in pathfinder. 3rd party, but it was the same in 3.5, wasn't it?

EDIT: I knew I should've refreshed instead of just pressing reply.