PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Turns out you can apply the same template multiple times!

Inevitability
2015-08-21, 03:54 AM
While browsing the WotC archives (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/eo/20070608a), I came across the following bit of awesome:

Okay, so applying the chimeric template from Monster Manual II to a chimera may seem odd, but it's perfectly legal. You can add a template more than once to the same creature as long as it continues to qualify.

Is this finally a breakthrough on the ancient question?

nedz
2015-08-21, 07:18 AM
I'm not sure what the ancient question you are referring to is ?

You can also apply the Evolved template multiple times.

Vhaidara
2015-08-21, 07:55 AM
Nedz, the line refers to all templates, not just chimeric. So hello again infinite half dragon stacking :P

nedz
2015-08-21, 08:01 AM
Well it's an article about example monsters, and we know examples are always wrong, and does this count as rules text anyway ?

Telonius
2015-08-21, 08:19 AM
I'd treat the article with a big grain of salt. From some of the other builds:

This creature is technically illegal, unless you split hairs (and it probably still is)...

This creature has a couple of issues to consider. First, does a treant have a head? A distinctive head is required for the multiheaded template to be applicable. I say it does, or rather it has a trunk, and somewhere in the trunk it has facial features. ..

It sounds like this is more of a "custom monster" article than anything, and he admits that he's bending some of the usual monster rules for the sake of awesome. (Which, as a DM, is perfectly okay for him to do).

Inevitability
2015-08-21, 09:36 AM
It sounds like this is more of a "custom monster" article than anything, and he admits that he's bending some of the usual monster rules for the sake of awesome. (Which, as a DM, is perfectly okay for him to do).

Yes, but in those cases he is directly admitting he is.

nedz
2015-08-21, 09:54 AM
Well that's a teeny bit of a paradox. Can you treat an article as rules text when the article admits that the rules are being broken here ?

Jormengand
2015-08-21, 10:10 AM
Well that's a teeny bit of a paradox. Can you treat an article as rules text when the article admits that the rules are being broken here ?

I think the point is that it says "This is legal", "This one isn't legal," "This one isn't legal either," and "This one is technically legal, but you're a jerk if you use it". The point is that the fact that he specifies which is legal and which isn't might mean that half-dragon half-dragon half-dragons really are legal.

KillianHawkeye
2015-08-22, 02:59 AM
I think the point is that it says "This is legal", "This one isn't legal," "This one isn't legal either," and "This one is technically legal, but you're a jerk if you use it". The point is that the fact that he specifies which is legal and which isn't might mean that half-dragon half-dragon half-dragons really are legal.

I don't understand why you apparently thought they weren't legal in the first place. :smallconfused:

Chronos
2015-08-22, 08:00 AM
chief grukgruk half-orc, too. other half, also orc

ben-zayb
2015-08-22, 09:11 AM
So...Ghost (Unseelie Fey)^NI for STR -, DEX NI, CON -, CHA NI?

ranagrande
2015-08-22, 06:45 PM
So...Ghost (Unseelie Fey)^NI for STR -, DEX NI, CON -, CHA NI?

You need to start as a race with NI con score for that to work, since Unseelie gives -2 each time and can only be applied to living creatures.

noob
2015-08-22, 09:39 PM
Well if you reset you con score with something like incarnate creature and dust creature it could work(also at each loop you would decrease the EL and increase your strength and your dex(but not your charsima because it is reset at each time)) then as you are of el -infinity you gain levels each time you pick up a rose(those scary dangerous spikes).

Cerefel
2015-08-23, 08:43 PM
So wait what happens if a lich just keeps making phylacteries?

GoldfishBowl
2015-08-23, 08:50 PM

Lord Voldemort

enderlord99
2015-08-23, 08:57 PM

That's up to the DM, but only living creatures can become Liches, and Liches aren't living creatures, so a Lich can't become a Lich. Basically, taking a template will sometimes prevent you from taking that same template again... but only sometimes.

Cerefel
2015-08-23, 09:23 PM
That's up to the DM, but only living creatures can become Liches, and Liches aren't living creatures, so a Lich can't become a Lich. Basically, taking a template will sometimes prevent you from taking that same template again... but only sometimes.

Yeah, I just checked and the lich template can only be added to humanoids and it changes the creature type to undead. However I did find a fun template that doesn't change creature type...

Lycanthrope

Telonius
2015-08-24, 01:27 AM
Yeah, I just checked and the lich template can only be added to humanoids and it changes the creature type to undead. However I did find a fun template that doesn't change creature type...

Lycanthrope

I'm picturing a research facility with rows of lycanthrope cages, and one test subject getting bitten by each of them. The resulting creature, the Omni-thrope, is basically a Were-Everything...

MesiDoomstalker
2015-08-24, 01:33 AM
I'm picturing a research facility with rows of lycanthrope cages, and one test subject getting bitten by each of them. The resulting creature, the Omni-thrope, is basically a Were-Everything...
And the resulting enlightenment from so many severe magical diseases has allowed it to transcend it's horrible mortal existence as a lab rat-dog-cat-tiger-etc.

LooseCannoneer
2015-08-24, 01:34 AM
I guess you could say he's everywere.

Are there any LA 0 templates that don't have cumulative penalties?

Inevitability
2015-08-24, 04:04 AM
Are there any LA 0 templates that don't have cumulative penalties?

If you don't mind having only a single point of dex, cha, and wis, Corrupted by the Abyss would be a good pick. Infinite AC, infinite HP, infinite strength... And let's not forget infinite DC's on all your racial abilities.

TimeWizard
2015-08-24, 04:50 AM

about 9 years ago (jeez, getting old) I made a homebrew PrC about temporarily "equipping" Templates. It was kinda fun, the class wasn't super powerful, but the utility was awesome.

Necroticplague
2015-08-24, 06:28 AM
This can get downright evil if you make use of Human Heritage. Then, regardless of templates, you type would revert back to Humanoid (Human). Thus, any template that could be applied to a humanoid can be applied infinitely. Thus making a Vampire Lich Gravetouched Ghoul Spawn of Kyuss Death Knight Human a legitimate creature (admittingly, one which would have had to have a heck of an interesting life/unlife). Honestly, given the existence of LA, most of this wouldn't really be practical anyway, other than as a hilarious thought experiment as to how such things come to be.

ranagrande
2015-08-24, 06:41 AM
Repeatedly apply the Magebred template to an animal so it gains nigh infinite strength, dexterity, constitution, natural armor, and speed. Then use that animal as the base for a tauric creature.

Tiri
2015-08-24, 06:49 AM
Yeah, I just checked and the lich template can only be added to humanoids and it changes the creature type to undead.

What if you took Human Heritage?

EDIT: Oh wait, someone already said that.

noob
2015-08-24, 06:54 AM
Result: players take human heritage then at level 21 he stacks lich indefinitely with its abusive wealth.
Or even the warrior of the team could stack the Lycanthropy indefinitely when at epic levels.