PDA

View Full Version : Did Suicide Girl...

Kesnit
2007-05-08, 06:00 PM
...really commit suicide?

Rereading #448, all we see is her asking what she did and holding a dagger. The sound effect makes it seem like she was stabbing herself, but it could also be she was pulling someone else's dagger out of her as she died.

Innis Cabal
2007-05-08, 06:02 PM
she commited Seppuku, its an honor thing

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seppuku

Icewalker
2007-05-08, 06:04 PM
Um, no, you can see her Wakizashi or possibly Tanto going into her stomach with red lines and a schlurkt sound, and she is nowhere near the dead paladins' daggers. Sorry!

Kesnit
2007-05-08, 06:10 PM
she commited Seppuku, its an honor thing

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seppuku

I know what Seppuku is. :smallsmile: And I pretty much assumed she killed herself. But the way it's drawn raised a question in my mind.

Um, no, you can see her Wakizashi or possibly Tanto going into her stomach with red lines and a schlurkt sound, and she is nowhere near the dead paladins' daggers. Sorry!

There are a lot of dead Paladins. :smallwink:

I was thinking that someone stabbed her with a dagger and she was pulling it out.

Innis Cabal
2007-05-08, 06:11 PM
why would she be saying "Oh gods what have i done," with her hands on a sword going into the direction of her spine?

slayerx
2007-05-08, 06:41 PM
why would she be saying "Oh gods what have i done," with her hands on a sword going into the direction of her spine?
Indeed, while visually it could go either way, he final words pretty much clich it... She had realized she had killed some of her fellow paladins and could not stand such dishanor and thus killed herself to regain her honor...

Callista
2007-05-08, 07:04 PM
I wonder whether she's considered a "martyr". In the views of the Japanese-themed Azure City, she might well be one...

I'd like to see more panels with that ghost army in it, and see whether she's there.

the_tick_rules
2007-05-08, 08:33 PM
we'll see if there she's alive in a later strip.

Professor Tanhauser
2007-05-08, 08:51 PM
I wonder whether she's considered a "martyr". In the views of the Japanese-themed Azure City, she might well be one...

I'd like to see more panels with that ghost army in it, and see whether she's there.

Oh definitely. She died as a result of xykon's spell, she's a martyr.

Sesquedoodle
2007-05-09, 03:33 AM
OK, I haven't read the wiki article, because I'm squeamish, but doesn't seppuku require you to have someone else standing by to cut your head off afterwards?
Or am I totally wrong?

factotum
2007-05-09, 03:43 AM
I believe that in traditional Japanese culture (which may or may not be similar to Azure City) seppuku is a ritual that can only be carried out with the permission of your lord, and it certainly isn't something you can do on the spur of the moment--so whatever she's doing it isn't quite like Japanese seppuku.

Storm Bringer
2007-05-09, 03:51 AM
no, the seppuku is the cutting open of ones stomach, which is a very painful and farily slow way to die. the 2nd man cutting off the head to end the pain was not essential, just common.

it was oringally something done on the battlefield to restore the honour of a beaten warrior, but became more of a cpaital punishment after the unification of japan. the permission of the lord wasn't needed, though said lord could comand you to commit seppuku.

Doompuppy
2007-05-09, 04:19 AM
OK, I haven't read the wiki article, because I'm squeamish, but doesn't seppuku require you to have someone else standing by to cut your head off afterwards?
Or am I totally wrong?

Having a second is kinda optional, from what I remember. They're there to lop off your head in case you risk showing dishonourable traits like crying out in pain , or self preservation... ie, they're there to help you go through with it if it looks like you're failing.

Driderman
2007-05-09, 06:56 AM
Having a second is kinda optional, from what I remember. They're there to lop off your head in case you risk showing dishonourable traits like crying out in pain , or self preservation... ie, they're there to help you go through with it if it looks like you're failing.

Thats about right. You stick the sword into your gut and if you brought a mate along, he lops off your head as soon as you're about to grunt in pain. Voila, honor restored, everyones happy...

TreesOfDeath
2007-05-09, 07:14 AM
Oh definitely. She died as a result of xykon's spell, she's a martyr.

I dunno, its odd that she doesn't seem to be in the final panel,and she didn't actualyl need to kill herself, she was just overwhelemed by the sight of it all

Closet_Skeleton
2007-05-09, 07:35 AM
I'm not entirely sure that she didn't kill herself because she was still under the effects of the insanity spell.

Callista
2007-05-09, 08:02 AM
Well, considering she would've died next round anyway... probably a casual magic missile from Xykon...

ObadiahtheSlim
2007-05-09, 10:15 AM
She realized he horror of what had happened. She had struck down her friends with her own blade. I'm sure the horror of that could drive one to falling on ones own blade.

Smada
2007-05-09, 10:20 AM
She had already lost her paladinhood due to evil actions. Notice her armor had turned grey ala miko's falling? She commited sepiku to regain her honor. Now if only miko could get that memo.

JetTheOne
2007-05-10, 01:34 AM
She had already lost her paladinhood due to evil actions. Notice her armor had turned grey ala miko's falling? She commited sepiku to regain her honor. Now if only miko could get that memo.

It would seem illogical to have Miko die that way, the Giant will kill off Miko in some other way... but I do believe she is going to die.

Callista
2007-05-10, 08:42 AM
She didn't lose her paladinhood. Evil actions under an Insanity spell don't count because they're not WILLING evil acts--check out the Paladin description in the PHB; you don't fall unless you did evil willingly. You can see her color scheme in 448 matches the post-massacre color scheme... no beige, no fall. (Anyway, Miko's changed to beige/brown, not gray.)

Demented
2007-05-10, 10:15 AM
The only color in suicide girl's entire outfit was her hair. Having that change if she fell would be... amusing, to say the least.

"Falling,
Bad for Life,
Bad for Your Hair"

bluish_wolf
2007-05-10, 06:29 PM
The only color in suicide girl's entire outfit was her hair. Having that change if she fell would be... amusing, to say the least.

"Falling,
Bad for Life,
Bad for Your Hair"

She has green hair, though, not azure.

Dervag
2007-05-10, 09:22 PM
Or am I totally wrong?Only if you want to die quickly, and if you have a second available to do it.

I believe that in traditional Japanese culture (which may or may not be similar to Azure City) seppuku is a ritual that can only be carried out with the permission of your lord, and it certainly isn't something you can do on the spur of the moment--so whatever she's doing it isn't quite like Japanese seppuku.No, but it's similarly motivated and apparently works the same way.

I'm not entirely sure that she didn't kill herself because she was still under the effects of the insanity spell.The only possible outcome that would lead to her doing that would be the "act normally" outcome that occurs 10% of the time for confused subjects.

On a side note, I'm not sure I'll ever be able to bring myself to have any of my D&D characters cast any confusion effect again.

archon_huskie
2007-05-10, 10:42 PM

Her shirt was still white. She's still a paladin.

Ozark
2007-05-12, 03:42 AM
...am I seriously the only one who initially looked at the thread topic and thought "what's a thread about Suicide Girls doing here?". Man, I'm a pervert XD

Jukashi
2007-05-12, 02:01 PM
If she was doing things the traditional japanese way, she'd have rammed the sword through her throat rather than her stomach, since that's what female samurai were supposed to do instead.

But in any case: successfully committing suppuku without taking off your armour!? Best. Suicide. Ever. Even cold steel is no match for the urge to regain honour!