PDA

View Full Version : Silent Image question

GutterFace
2015-08-21, 08:58 AM
If I am a wizard, and cast Silent Image and visually make an Adult Red Dragon appear, if the targets viewing the image fail their save, do they then believe any affects a creature could have on them. Like would creatures observing the image that failed the save be subject to a perceived Frightful Presence?

Demonic Spoon
2015-08-21, 09:01 AM
If I am a wizard, and cast Silent Image and visually make an Adult Red Dragon appear, if the targets viewing the image fail their save, do they then believe any affects a creature could have on them. Like would creatures observing the image that failed the save be subject to a perceived Frightful Presence?

No.

From a narrative perspective, frightful presence is a function of the dragon and its magic, not the image of a dragon.
From a balance perspective, I don't think I need to explain why replicating an ancient red dragon's frightful presence with a low level spell slot would be problematic.

Ninja_Prawn
2015-08-21, 01:11 PM
I agree with Demonic Spoon. That's a "no".

Furthermore, I point you towards Phantasmal Force, which explicitly specifies that it can convince the target that it is really burning them or whatever, AND explicitly caps the damage dealt in this fashion.

GutterFace
2015-08-21, 01:30 PM
Thanks peoples!