PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Bulking up on AC and DR.

LoyalPaladin
2015-08-21, 09:33 AM
Hello Everybody. Through a strange turn of events, I might have to make a new PC for a campaign I am in.

It is in our own home brew setting and I am thinking of making a Paladin/Stone Sentinel (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?422328-Stone-Sentinel-(Prestige-Class)-(PEACH)) (SS was made specifically for that setting.) This is a relatively damage heavy party, but I'd like to focus on a hearty tanky warrior. I'm not the greatest in maximizing AC, but I'd like to pump this character's AC through the rough and obtain lots of DR if possible. How would you go about maximizing it?

Must have:
Heavy Armor
Warhammer
Tower Shield

Thank you!

Edit:
I forgot to mention that this particular group uses a 36 point buy.

sovin_ndore
2015-08-21, 09:38 AM
What level will you be coming in at?

LoyalPaladin
2015-08-21, 09:52 AM
What level will you be coming in at?
My guess is anywhere between ECL 12 and 15.

DrKerosene
2015-08-21, 10:22 AM
Well, there is the Armor Class Handbook (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=3962.0)

And I'm sure a few ways to add your Stat to AC (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?125732-3-x-X-stat-to-Y-bonus) if you search there.

Eldariel posted Otto's (originally Urnsk's) 302 build in this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?184956-Highest-Possible-AC-at-level-20-3-5).

I know you can get a spell-touched feat for some DR/Bludgeoning, and their is a vestige that gives you some DR/Piercing with Fullplate. That's about it for me, good luck.

OldTrees1
2015-08-21, 10:43 AM
Well Mineral Warrior's DR 8/adamantine is pretty nice (it is LA +1, disables flight, and gives +3 Nat AC).

I wouldn't invest too much more in DR/AC than your allies. Deterrent has decreasing returns. Eventually the enemies will exclusively attack your allies first. At that point(and for a while before) gaining more DR/AC is not beneficial.

sovin_ndore
2015-08-21, 10:51 AM
Probably also worth mentioning that the ToB Crusader is pretty much Paladin supertank, with maneuvers that heal or provide DR to you as a part of your attacking an enemy and stances that vastly increase your survivability. It is probably better at what you are trying to build than Paladin and that PrCf you are stuck on the class selection, it may not be your cup of tea. It also has ways to punish your opponents for targeting your allies rather than targeting you.

RolandDeschain
2015-08-21, 10:59 AM
Well Mineral Warrior's DR 8/adamantine is pretty nice (it is LA +1, disables flight, and gives +3 Nat AC).

I wouldn't invest too much more in DR/AC than your allies. Deterrent has decreasing returns. Eventually the enemies will exclusively attack your allies first. At that point(and for a while before) gaining more DR/AC is not beneficial.

This is why you have to pair these type of builds up with ways to force your opponents to attack you and/or deter them from attacking your allies....

Rebel7284
2015-08-21, 11:03 AM
Best thing for DR for many levels is the Mineral Warrior (Stony) template. It's LA+1, but ask your DM if the optional level adjustment buyoff rules are in effect.

Here is a level 13 build that gets some nice AC:

(City Brawler alternative class feature is from Dragon#349 pg92)

Dragonborn Mongrelfolk Mineral Warrior
Ranger 1/Lion Totem City Brawler Barbarian 1/Stoneblessed 3/Fist of the Forest 1/Deepwarden 2/Bear Warrior 5

You have Con to AC twice and DR8. You are also a reasonably good attacker due to being a bear.

Con = base 18 + 4 Race, +2 Dragonborn, +4 Mineral Warrior, +2 Stoneblessed, +3 levels, +4 Amulet = 37 (45 when raging)

This gives you 36AC and 44AC when raging and this can be boosted much higher with a few other defensive items.

Also, you have a reasonable offensive capability.

edit:
I completely missed the must-have part of heavy armor, etc. Yeah, ironically in this game it's much harder to get good defenses with armor...

ZamielVanWeber
2015-08-21, 03:52 PM
The dragonspawn templates give massive natural armor for their LA. White gives +7 (+1 LA) amongst its other goodies while sea gives +10 and large stat bonuses for +2.