PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class Survivor Base Class [Tank, Taunter, Controller]

sajro
2015-08-21, 12:38 PM
Custom
LevelBABFortRefWillSpecial
1st+0+2+2+2Taunting Aura, Survival of the Fittest
2nd+1+3+3+3Improvised Weapons, Defensive +1
3rd+2+3+3+3Survivors Shout(1+Wis/day), Rapid Healer
4th+3+4+4+4Delay Poison, Resistance(1st)
5th+3+4+4+4Survivors Senses(1st), Defensive +2
6th+4+5+5+5Travelers Rations
7th+5+5+5+5Survivors Shout(2+Wis/day), Light Traveler
8th+6/+1+6+6+6Defensive +3
9th+6/+1+6+6+6Resistance(2nd)
10th+7/+2+7+7+7Healing Catalyst
11th+8/+3+7+7+7Survivors Shout(3+Wis/day), Survivors Senses(2nd), Defensive +4
12th+9/+4+8+8+8Resist Poison
13th+9/+4+8+8+8Bodyblock
14th+10/+5+9+9+9Resistance(3rd), Defensive +5
15th+11/+6/+1+9+9+9Survivors Shout(4+Wis/day)
16th+12/+7/+2+10+10+10I can Handle It
17th+12/+7/+2+10+10+10Survivors Senses(3rd), Defensive +6
18th+13/+8/+3+11+11+11Poison Immunity
19th+14/+9/+4+11+11+11Survivors Shout(5+Wis/day), Resistance(4th)
20th+15/+10/+5+12+12+12Survivors Pinacles, Defensive +7

Alignment: Any
Hit Die: 1d8

Class Skills:
Balance(dex), Climb(str), Listen(wis), Spot(wis), Survival(wis), Swim(str) + any 10
Skill Points at 1st Level: (6 + Int modifier) × 4
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 6 + Int modifier

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Light and Medium armor, and simple weapons

Survival of the Fittest: At every odd level you have the chose between getting a +1 bonus to an ability score of your choice, or gain +1 hp per level. you can't take one of the boosts if that boost have been taken more times than the other bonus.

Taunting Aura: Any hostile creature within 60 ft. of you seem to be drawn to you to attack. If they fail a Will save (DC 10+½HD+Cha or Str) they are forced to attack you, they charge if possible, or else move as close to you as possible. The effect lasts a number of rounds equal to 1 + ½ Con mod, before the creature have to make a new will save. If a creature succeeds they are immune for 24 hours. But as a fullround action you can gloat and taunt even the immune creatures. This functions just like normally for all hostile creatures within 60 ft.

Defensive: Defensive grants you a +1 bonus to your AC, this is either a Dodge or a Natural armor bonus. The bonus improves by 1 for every 3 levels above 2nd.

Survivors Shout: A survivor learns how to evoke emotions with his shouts, he learns 3 shouts:
Taunting Shout
Calming Shout
Rallying Shout

A Taunting shout forces one enemy per 4 class levels to attack the Survivor, or if not possible to move as close to him as possible. This effect lasts until the end of the turn of the affected cratures.

A Calming Shout, causes everyone within 60 ft. to exit any kind of rage, frenzy or similar.

A Rallying Shout, gives every ally within 60 ft. the option to move up to 10 ft. towards the Survivor, if they have a rage like ability they can choose to use that while moving.

These shouts can be used 1/day, plus 1 extra time per 4 levels beyound 3rd.

Rapid Healer: At 3rd level you seem to heal faster than normal creatures of your race, whenever you receive hitpoints from resting, you receive the double.

Delay Poison: A Survivor can attempt to delay or subdue the effect of a poison in himself or another character. This requires a survival check with a DC equal to the Save DC of the poison, and blood from the survivor which deals him 1d6 points of damage. If he succeeds the Poison is delayed, for a number of hours equal to half how much he succeded with. For example A poison have DC 15 the survivor makes af Survival Check of 21, thus he succeeds by 6 and delays the poison for 3 hours.

Resistance: at 4th level and 5 level beyound, the Survivor gains either DR 2/-, Energy Resistance 5 or Spell resistance 5+level. If you already have Energy resistance of the specific type, or spell resistance you can instead improve either by 5, if you have Damage Reduction you can instead improve that by 2.

Survivors senses: Upon gaining the 5th level, the survivors senses become much better, you gain low light vision.
This improves to Darkvison(60) at level 11.
And finally to either Scent + Track or Tremorsense(15) at level 17.
If you have the ability you would have gotten, you double the effect.

Travelers Rations: The survivor needs less nourishment than normal folk, he can go 2 days on 1 trail ration, but he also values real food and enjoys making it, this gives him +4 to survival checks for cooking, and food made by a survivor restore 1d6 of HP if he succeeds a DC 10 survival check. It also heals 1d6 extra for every 15 points above 10.

Light Traveler: The survivor treats his medium load as a light load.

Healing Catalyst: When ever the Survivor receives magical healing the spell counts as empowered, he can also choose to use his blood to do the same for another person, this deals him 1d4 points of damage per level of the spell used.

Resist Poison: at 12th level the survivor gain a +4 bonus to all checks involved with resisting, delaying or subduing poisons in his own body.

Bodyblock: While standing next to another character, the survivor can choose by make a reflex save (DC 15 if attack, or Save DC if spell or similar) to become the target isntead.

I can Handle it:[b] Once per day per the Survivor can enter a meditative state of mind, which doubles his DR, or sets it to DR 5/- whichever is higher and granting him the ability to once per turn direct any damage blocked by his DR from one attack back at the attacker. This also doubles resistances to energies and spell resistance. This state lasts for a number of rounds equal to Wis Mod + Con Mod

[b]Poison Immunity: at 18th level the Survivor becomes immune to all poisons.

Survivors Pinacle: at 20th level the Survivor becomes the ultimate Survivor, all resistances and DR doubles or is set to 10 whichever is higher (SR 5+HD Instead), and he counts as having no type if that is beneficial for him.
The doubling of DR affects alle DR gained from Classes or Race, but not anything gained from Feats, Spells, Psionics or similar.

nikkoli
2015-08-21, 01:53 PM
I think this class should have a d10 HD and, because it's a "tank" and all and very combat focused, but other than that it's a pretty cool gig. Did you consider if someone were to stack the feat roll with it before level 20 and then just have 4 DR/- per feat slot?

sajro
2015-08-21, 02:00 PM
The reason for the D8 is that it can get 5 points of extra HP per level, which is equivalent of rolling a d18 when we calculate Averages, but yeah I can see the point of the D10, I will think about it. :)

Care to explain how that becomes DR 4/- per feat slot, doesn't roll with it just improve your current DR by 2? :)

nikkoli
2015-08-24, 08:50 AM
A level 20 when it doubles your DR if you've got a couple of slots of roll with it that will add up fast. Unless it only doubles the DR you get from the class.

sajro
2015-08-24, 08:56 AM
Ohhh yeah I can see the problem, I would like it to affect other thing that DR from this class, but maybe just change it to only affect DR gained from race or Class, but not from feats or spells? :)

nikkoli
2015-08-24, 09:51 AM
Well most people wouldn't stack roll with it, especially because the class gives a ton of DR on its own. Thats just some cheese my group would throw at each other regularly.

sajro
2015-08-24, 10:00 AM
Yeah, what would you be able to reach? If you have DR from race you could reach:
8 from this class, +1 from Race, + 2*7(number of feat slots)
Thats 23 then doubled at level 20 thats 46, if flaws are permitted then that might be 54 (2 flaws = 2 feats)

If the race doesn't have DR 1/- then it is ofcourse more balanced but people could probably find away around that.

Yeah that is still in the crazy range to be honest, let say they dont have DR from any other source than this class, first DR is gained at level 4.
So that leaves 5 feats.

5*2 + 8(class)

Again we land at 36 DR/-

Yeah it is a very DR specialized character but those DR's is rather high compared to a dive Rank 16-20 deity who have DR 30/epic

So yeah I am going to change it to not affect Feats and spells. :)

Kingsproling
2015-08-30, 01:51 AM
I always imagined making a survivor type base class, and I always intended to give him the abilities Mettle and Evasion, with Improved later on.

Andion Isurand
2015-08-30, 03:40 AM
I honestly think you should consider altering this class (or making a new one) to include a d12 HD, high BAB and all good saves, with 2 + Int skill points per level... and let those base scores themselves be a feature of the class. If you do this with a base class, the first level of the class will be kinda loaded, so I would minimize the abilities you gain from its first level.

A d12 HD would allow you to clear out some of the the extra HP per HD, along with the Damage Reduction and energy resistances that would normally prevent hit point damage. Those things are easily replicated by magic items and spells. You may also wish to add an ability similar to the one below, for any Undead who wind up taking the class.

Undying Toughness (Ex) Starting at 2nd level, a survivor without a Constitution score, may increase his maximum hit point total by an amount equal to half his class level (rounded down) multiplied by his Charisma bonus (if any).

If you want to maintain an ability against poison... I would create an one ability that provides a bonus on saves against poison based on your class level... outright immunity may remove the possibility of using some alchemical substances to your benefit. The following example ability would show up at level 3.

Toxin Tolerance (Ex) For every two class levels gained beyond the first, a survivor gains a cumulative +1 bonus on saving throws against poison.

If you need more features for tanking/debuffing/controlling and whatnot, I can make more suggestions.

sajro
2015-09-10, 03:40 AM
I honestly think you should consider altering this class (or making a new one) to include a d12 HD, high BAB and all good saves, with 2 + Int skill points per level... and let those base scores themselves be a feature of the class. If you do this with a base class, the first level of the class will be kinda loaded, so I would minimize the abilities you gain from its first level.

I can agree with the D12 HD and 2 skillpoints, but High BAB makes no sense for the class concept. The class is not supposed to be the damage dealer but supposed to take a beating and force focus onto him, to allow the more squishy high damage characters free room to deal damage.
But you would suggest removing the Survival of the Fittest class feature then?

Undying Toughness (Ex) Starting at 2nd level, a survivor without a Constitution score, may increase his maximum hit point total by an amount equal to half his class level (rounded down) multiplied by his Charisma bonus (if any).

Ohhh yeah that would probably be a good idea.

Toxin Tolerance (Ex) For every two class levels gained beyond the first, a survivor gains a cumulative +1 bonus on saving throws against poison.

Yeah I can see the balancing point for doing this, and for the players benefit. I will have to think about it a bit.

I always imagined making a survivor type base class, and I always intended to give him the abilities Mettle and Evasion, with Improved later on.

Any idea of what to replace with mettle and evasion? Because adding them without removing anything else would probably be bad.