PDA

View Full Version : Scout Remake

ShneekeyTheLost
2007-05-08, 07:15 PM
I never did like the 'scout' class that was proposed, however I did want to fill a nitche of Skillmonky that isn't blatantly Thief or Ranger. So I've pretty much re-written Scout to have some abilities similar to both Rogue and Ranger. In particular, precision based damage was removed. I never did really like it in the first place.

Scout
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+0|
+0|
+2|
+0| Trapfinding

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+3|
+0| Evasion

3rd|
+2|
+1|
+3|
+1| Track

4th|
+3|
+1|
+4|
+1| Uncanny Dodge

5th|
+3|
+1|
+4|
+1| Run, Trap Sense +1

6th|
+4|
+2|
+5|
+2| Slippery Mind

7th|
+5|
+2|
+5|
+2|Light Step

8th|
+6/+1|
+2|
+6|
+2| Defensive Roll

9th|
+6/+1|
+3|
+6|
+3| Darkvision 60'

10th|
+7/+2|
+3|
+7|
+3| Skill Mastery, Trap Sense +2

11th|
+8/+3|
+3|
+7|
+3| Improved Evasion

12th|
+9/+4|
+4|
+8|
+4| Quick Cover

13th|
+9/+4|
+4|
+8|
+4| Precise Aim

14th|
+10/+5|
+4|
+9|
+4| Swift Tracking

15th|
+11/+6/+1|
+5|
+9|
+5| Skill Mastery, Trap Sense +3

16th|
+12/+7/+2|
+5|
+10|
+5| Hide in Plain Sight

17th|
+12/+7/+2|
+5|
+10|
+5| Precision

18th|
+13/+8/+3|
+6|
+11|
+6| Swift Stalker

19th|
+14/+9/+4|
+6|
+11|
+6| Improved Darkvision

20th|
+15/+10/+5|
+6|
+12|
+6| Skill Mastery, Trap Sense +4[/table]

HD d6

Class Skills The Scout's Class Skills are: (and the key ability for each skill) are Appraise (Int), Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Disable Device (Int), Disguise (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Forgery (Int), Gather Information (Cha), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (local) (Int), Knowledge (Dungeoneering) (Int), Knowledge (Geography) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Open Lock (Dex), Profession (Wis), Search (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Sleight of Hand (Dex), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), Swim (Str), Tumble (Dex), Use Magic Device (Cha), and Use Rope (Dex).

Skill Points
8 + Int Mod (X4 at 1st level)

Class Features

Weapon and Armor Proficencies

Scouts are proficent in all simple weapons, plus Hand Crossbow, Rapier, and Shortbow. They are proficent in Light Armor but not shields.

Trapfinding As Rogue ability

Evasion Usable only in light or no armor

Track Bonus feat. Can also be used to hide tracks

Uncanny dodge As per Rogue

Trap Sense Bonus to saves vs traps

Run Bonus Feat

Slippery Mind Failed Will Save lets the Scout make another will save next turn to shake off the effects anyways

Light Step A Scout is well versed in how to navigate difficult terrain. He treats all difficult terrain (including rubble, but not undergrowth) as regular terrain.

Defensive Roll As per Rogue special ability

Woodland Stride As per Ranger ability

Darkvision 60'. If you already have Darkvision, this increases your current Darkvision by 30'

Skill Mastery Starting at 10th, and every five levels thereafter. As per Rogue special ability. Each time purchased adds to the list of skills which this ability is applied to.

Improved Evasion As per Rogue special ability

Quick Cover When a Scout has potential Cover or Concealment, he may make a Hide check as a Swift action. He may do this in response to someone trying to make a Spot check to find him, in which case it is a simple contested roll (Scouts Hide vs opponent's Spot) to determine if he is seen. The Scout must be aware of the spotter and be able to move.

Precise Aim If a Scout has an opponent flat footed, he doubles his critical threat range. This ability, unlike most others, stacks with any other modifiers to critical threat range, but only the base crit threat range is doubled.

Swift Tracking As per Ranger ability

Hide in Plain Sight A Scout may make a Hide check, even while under direct observation.

Precision A Scout's critical hit multiplier increases by one. This effect stacks with other modifiers to crit multiplier, and is added after all other effects have been calculated.

Swift Stalker A Scout no longer has a penalty to Move Silently while moving at his or her full movement.

Improved Darkvision A Scout can see even in magical darkness.

TO_Incognito
2007-05-08, 07:26 PM
I like it; looks a lot like a Rogue who trades sneak attack for a few Ranger tracker-type features.

In other news, the Scout class from the Warcraft Roleplaying Game is the worst base class ever made. I reread the entry every time I pick up the book to try and figure out what on earth is supposed to make it worth it.

ShneekeyTheLost
2007-05-08, 07:55 PM
I like it; looks a lot like a Rogue who trades sneak attack for a few Ranger tracker-type features.

In other news, the Scout class from the Warcraft Roleplaying Game is the worst base class ever made. I reread the entry every time I pick up the book to try and figure out what on earth is supposed to make it worth it.

Does a bit more than that, actually. They get far more of the special abilities Rogues can choose at 10+ than a rogue normally would. Then they get a few new abilities (Move Silently at full move without penalty, Hide as a Swift action...) as well. Plus, some of the abilities they get are just plain fun (Hide in Plain Sight, for instance).

Zeta Kai
2007-05-08, 08:24 PM
I like it, but with all of the abilities, you have dead levels at 9th & 19th. Surely we can think of something to put in there.

How about Low-Light Vision at 9th, & Darkvision at 19th? Then the scout could spy better in the dark.

Or maybe competence bonuses to Spot & Listen? Something like +4 at 9th, & +8 at 19th.

Or maybe a couple of bonus feats? The skies the limit, really.

ShneekeyTheLost
2007-05-08, 09:11 PM
I like it, but with all of the abilities, you have dead levels at 9th & 19th. Surely we can think of something to put in there.

How about Low-Light Vision at 9th, & Darkvision at 19th? Then the scout could spy better in the dark.

Or maybe competence bonuses to Spot & Listen? Something like +4 at 9th, & +8 at 19th.

Or maybe a couple of bonus feats? The skies the limit, really.

Thanks for the idea. Didn't think Low Light or Darkvision were really worth it at those levels, so I put in Darkvision at 9th (not too powerful) and Improved Darkvision (lets you Darkvision even in Magical Darkness).

I'm still trying to come up with a Capstone 20th level ability, but drawing a blank