PDA

View Full Version : Best Spells to Make Irresistible?

Enran
2015-08-21, 07:32 PM
Assuming no metamagic reducers, what are the best spells to apply the Irresistible metamagic to? For reference, it's +4 spell level (same as Quicken and Twin, so it has a lot to live up to) and it makes a spell that normally gives a save no longer give a save.

Roentgen
2015-08-21, 07:35 PM
Any of the save-or-die ones like Slay Living/Stop Heart/Finger of Death and so on I imagine.

Jormengand
2015-08-21, 07:35 PM
Phantasmal killer.

Brova
2015-08-21, 07:37 PM
dominate monster. Assuming you can remove protections, you kill someone and get a free minion.

Xervous
2015-08-21, 07:38 PM
If my memory serves me right this was errata'd to a straight +10 to save DC...

Enran
2015-08-21, 07:40 PM
Phantasmal killer.
Is... Is that a level 4 Save-or-Die? That is disgusting. And it's Core, so I should be ashamed of myself for not remembering it.

Jormengand
2015-08-21, 07:50 PM
If my memory serves me right this was errata'd to a straight +10 to save DC...

The errata wasn't official, IIRC.

EDIT: Also try dropping irresistible on fell drain thunderhead.

Xervous
2015-08-21, 07:51 PM
The errata wasn't official, IIRC.

That might explain why it isn't coming up in any of the eratta documents I'm finding with googlefu.

Pex
2015-08-21, 07:57 PM
Many years ago in another forum I had seriously proposed a metamagic feat that did this, taking away the saving throw. The foolishness of it was brought to light just by others mentioning spells - Hold Person, Slay Living, Insanity, Confusion, Phantasmal Killer, Bestow Curse, Destruction, etc. Now presume those spells cast on a PC with no saving throw.

The feat does not work, to put it mildly.

Lateral
2015-08-21, 07:58 PM
Is... Is that a level 4 Save-or-Die? That is disgusting. And it's Core, so I should be ashamed of myself for not remembering it.
Yeah, but without that Irresistible Spell it kind of sucks. Two saving throws make it incredibly unreliable, and SoDs aren't really all that useful.

ZamielVanWeber
2015-08-21, 08:01 PM
That might explain why it isn't coming up in any of the eratta documents I'm finding with googlefu.

Here is the tale: Irresistible Spell was printed in the WotC official Kingdoms of Kalamar Player's Handbook as is. There are 3 errata filed to that book, none of which mention any change. However, in the unofficial 3.5 update to the KoK Player's Handbook called Player's Guide to the Sovereign Lands irresistible spell was changed to +10 to the save DC.

Theodred theOld
2015-08-21, 08:13 PM
Even with just +10 I could get into some shenanigans with dominate person/ monster.

Curmudgeon
2015-08-21, 08:22 PM
Here is the tale: Irresistible Spell was printed in the WotC official Kingdoms of Kalamar Player's Handbook as is. There are 3 errata filed to that book, none of which mention any change. However, in the unofficial 3.5 update to the KoK Player's Handbook called Player's Guide to the Sovereign Lands irresistible spell was changed to +10 to the save DC.
A DM has three choices:

Deny everything from Kingdoms of Kalamar as cross-setting.
Use the KoK 3.5 update.
Make your own "minor adjustments" to use the 3.0 Kalamar material in a D&D 3.5 game.

Jormengand
2015-08-21, 08:27 PM
In this list, anything is a good choice, underlined is a great choice, and bold is an excellent choice. Italics are spells too high to cast normally, you will have to use AMM: irresistible, DMM: irresistible or MM reducers.

Cause fear, charm X, confusion, control undead, fear, grease, harm, imprisonment mage's disjunction phantasmal killer, prismatic X, scrying, weird

2015-08-21, 08:32 PM
Prismatic Ray is pretty nice. Mass Charm Person could be useful, especially on a Diplomancer build. Ooh, Baleful Polymorph is nice with this. And definitely one of my favorites: Cloudkill.