PDA

View Full Version : Simple Frenzied Berserker Build - Advice Needed

Dusto
2015-08-22, 01:56 AM
Hey everyone, thanks a ton for the help on my Duskblade build here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?434308-Duskblade-Advice-Needed). Now my DM just dropped that we need an "alternate build" that I think is going to be used for something funky. We use our same equipment and level etc.... Since I'm already NG, I'd like to try out the Righteous Wrath Frenzied Berserker. He's already said it'll work for both rage and frenzy. Anywho, we have access to all printed 3.5 except for web, dragon magazine and UA.

Let me know what you think of this simple build and let me know if I am missing anything vital. TIA!

Human 15th level

Barb 1: Destructive Rage, Intimidating Rage, Lion Totem
Fighter 1: Cleave
Fighter 2: Power Attack, Righteous Wrath
Fighter 3:
Fighter 4: Exotic Weapon Prof(I have a +5 spiked chain so keeping this)
Warblade 1:Endurance (mostly for wall of blades and to get IHS later for post rage fatigue and the numerous effects we face in our game)
Frenzied 1:
Frenzied 2:
Frenzied 3: Instantaneous Rage
Frenzied 4:
Frenzied 5:
Frenzied 6: Extra Rage
Frenzied 7:
Frenzied 8:
Warblade 2: Steadfast Determination (IHS)

Twurps
2015-08-22, 07:36 AM
Frenzied berserker is a fun and powerful class, but one often regarded with suspicion by fellow players. And for good reason.
Have you put enough effort in your build to protect your allies from being attacked? Because they might not appreciate that. (i.e. pump your will save). This also helps you prevent burning frenzy's unvolutarily (like when taking damage from a trap).

I would at the very least expect 'iron will' as one of your feats.

Dusto
2015-08-22, 08:44 AM
Righteous Wrath, you don't attack your friends. Also Steadfast Determination makes my will save good.

RolandDeschain
2015-08-22, 09:11 AM
Righteous Wrath, you don't attack your friends. Also Steadfast Determination makes my will save good.

Yeah, I think you've got that covered. I don't know if you'll find this useful, but I always find someway to get the Animal Devotion feat on my Barbs...I like it's versatility. You can be even stronger, or faster, or fly, or do constitution damage. Unfortunately, unless you've got a level of cleric in your build, it's only 1/day...

Tvtyrant
2015-08-22, 09:16 AM
I don't see a way to hit consistently. No shock trooper or touch attack combos. A FB gets up to quadruple damage on a PA, you want to be able to get the most out of it.

Twurps
2015-08-22, 09:21 AM
I completely missed righteous Wrath. Sorry 'bout that.

That might help, but be sure to run it by your DM. RAW: it doesn't do anything for you, as it only effects your rage, not your berserker's frenzy.
However that makes te feat do exactly NOTHING by RAW, as rage has none of the limitations that reighteous wrath is trying to negate. Does that mean it should negate the drawbacks of frenzy instead? your guess is as good as mine. (Though both won't stand up to your DM :P)

(Steadfast determination is good, off course, just might not be enough on its own.)

Dusto
2015-08-22, 02:34 PM
Thanks, as I noted above our DM ruled Righteous Wrath works.

Yep no cleric dips on this, I want it about as simple as it can get.

RolandDeschain
2015-08-22, 05:02 PM
I think I would lose Destructive Rage and go with Mad Foam Rager...

Draconium
2015-08-22, 05:05 PM
I think I would lose Destructive Rage and go with Mad Foam Rager...

IIRC, Destrucive Rage is actually a prerequisite for Frenzied Berserker, so I don't think he can drop it.

RolandDeschain
2015-08-22, 05:50 PM
IIRC, Destrucive Rage is actually a prerequisite for Frenzied Berserker, so I don't think he can drop it.

Good grief, of course it is, my apologies - I always overlook the hidden feat taxes.

Carry on.

Dusto
2015-08-23, 12:44 AM
I don't see a way to hit consistently. No shock trooper or touch attack combos. A FB gets up to quadruple damage on a PA, you want to be able to get the most out of it.

Any suggestions?

Draconium
2015-08-23, 12:48 AM
Any suggestions?

Try making a charger build - you'll need Power Attack (you're good there), Leap Attack, and Shock Trooper, along with their prerequisites and Lion Spirit Barbarian. A bit feat-intensive, unfortunately, but if built right, you'll be hitting for tons of damage at a full bonus of a charge with a full attack.

LooseCannoneer
2015-08-23, 12:48 AM
Improved Trip/Knock-Down. I mean, you've already got the Spiked Chain, you might as well add the extra trip and attack on to that.

marphod
2015-08-23, 04:15 AM
Barb 1: Destructive Rage, Intimidating Rage, Lion Totem
Warblade 1:Endurance (mostly for wall of blades and to get IHS later for post rage fatigue and the numerous effects we face in our game)
Warblade 1: Steadfast Determination (IHS)

You took Warblade 1 twice. That might be a problem. :smallbiggrin:

Skip Endurance/Steadfast; get Moment of Perfect Mind from your Warblade dip. Saves you 2 feats.

If you don't mind being down 1 BAB (and 1 Fort and will save, but up 3 Reflex), replace Fighter 3 and 4 with Martial Rogue 1 and 2. Gets you an extra feat, trapfinding (trade, maybe for Mimic from EoE?) and Evasion (or another ACF).

Get something that will improve your to-hit outside of BAB. You're hurting there.

Get Combat Reflexes. Get some battlefield control abilities -- most common are Shock Trooper (for more feats) or Improved Trip (less effective).

Consider Mageslayer and Pierce Magical Protection.

Dusto
2015-08-23, 11:48 AM
I'm taking 2 total levels of warblade.

Moment of perfect mind won't be hot as I'll only have two levels with concentration as a class skill.

Also as UA is not allowed, so can't take martial rogue. Though grabbing evasion alone might be worth grabbing those two levels of rogue...

marphod
2015-08-23, 11:45 PM
I'm taking 2 total levels of warblade.

You just weren't consistent with how to label the subsequent level, vis-a-vis how you did other classes. =)

Moment of perfect mind won't be hot as I'll only have two levels with concentration as a class skill.

Actually Moment of Perfect Mind won't work as it a concentration check, and you can't make those when raging/frenzying. I realized that about 12 hours after I posted. My bad.

I still think that Steadfast Determination is probably not worth the feat cost, unless you were getting Endurance for free.

(Your Concentration Check doesn't have to be that bad with only 2 class levels. 8-10 ranks from those levels (put all of the ranks in), 10ish ranks from elsewhere for a +15. Plus your Con modifier, plus a +5 item (2500gp) and you're fine. However, won't work for the aforementioned reason.)

Also as UA is not allowed, so can't take martial rogue. Though grabbing evasion alone might be worth grabbing those two levels of rogue...

No UA. I missed that in my reading. Oops.

I don't think a 2 level Rogue dip is worth it for you -- 1 die of Sneak Attack, trapfinding or an ACF, and Evasion isn't worth it. If you're looking for Evasion, 2 levels of Monk get you 2 bonus feats (see if you can take one of the alternate monk feat progressions to get a useful feat at level 1; Combat Reflexes at 2), evasion, IUS&improved unarmed damage, and +3 to all saves. That's a much better trade. (and if you are ever captured and held without your armor, the AC bonus might be useful.)

What is the difference between your Wis modifier and your Con modifier?

Tvtyrant
2015-08-24, 02:17 PM
Any suggestions?

My 3.5fu is not what it once was, but there are a couple ways you could go. Shocktrooper is the most common, as it takes one feat and allows you to lower your AC rather than your to-hit when power attacking on a charge. That with Frenzied Berserker is pretty much game, since you can power attack for 80 a swing and are getting 4-5 swings before cleave.

Wraith Strike in a wand chamber would work except that rage prevents you from activating it...

If you get a psionic familiar you can get Deep Impact and have your familiar restore your focus, letting you get a touch attack off every turn.

Use Activated Wraith Strike item or True Strike item are the best/cheesiest ways to do it, as they will let you hit without any drawbacks.

Finally there is the option to simply boost your strength score really high. Get a Skin of Proteus (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/items/universalItems.htm#skinofProteus) and turn into something big before activating your frenzy. This will net you a bigger body to add your frenzy score to.