PDA

View Full Version : Help me flesh out this PrC: Umbral Warlock

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-05-08, 09:03 PM
I've recently decided I want a Shadowcaster/Warlock combination prestige class for a character I'm working on. I've already worked out the skeleton of the base combinations, and I was hoping to figure out the best way to add a few more abilities and give the class a little more kick.

Now, at first, I thought about using the Eldritch Theurge (from Complete Mage) by ignoring the fact that the requirements specify Arcane spellcasting. But then I wanted to make sure there was Sustaining Shadow advancement in addition to the warlock DR and Fiendish Resilience. (The transformative aspect of both classes is something I want to keep for the character I have in mind.) Adding that to a straight Eldritch Theurge might power it up a bit too much. At the same time, replacing the Spellblast and Spellweave abilities with Sustaining Shadow might be underpowered, since Sustaining Shadow is passive whereas Spellblast and Spellweave are more active.

All the same, I want to implement some ability that allows combined use of invocations and mystery in a fashion similar to the Eldritch Theurge abilities.

Here's what I've got so far:

Umbral Warlock
Entry Requirements

Skills: Knowledge (arcana) 8 ranks, Knowledge (the planes) 8 ranks
Shadowcasting: Able to cast 2nd-level mysteries
Invocations: Ability to use least invocations
Special: Eldritch blast +2d6

Hit Die: d6
Class Skills (2 + Int modifier per level): Concentration, Craft, Hide, Intimidate, Knowledge (arcana), Knowledge (the planes), Knowledge (religion), Move Silently, Profession, Spellcraft, Sense Motive, Spot, Use Magic Device

{table="head"]
Level|
BAB|
Fort|
Ref|
Will|
Special|
Mysteries/Invocations

1st|
+0|
+2|
+0|
+2|DR 1/cold iron|+1 existing mystery casting class and +1 existing invocation-using class

2nd|
+1|
+3|
+0|
+3|Fiendish resilience 1, sustaining shadow (eat 1 meal/week)|+1 existing mystery casting class and +1 existing invocation-using class

3rd|
+2|
+3|
+1|
+3|—|+1 existing mystery casting class and +1 existing invocation-using class

4th|
+3|
+4|
+1|
+4|DR 2/cold iron, sustaining shadow (sleep 1 hour/day)|+1 existing mystery casting class and +1 existing invocation-using class

5th|
+3|
+4|
+1|
+4|—|+1existing mystery casting class and +1 existing invocation-using class

6th|
+4|
+5|
+2|
+5|Sustaining shadow (immune to poison/disease)|+1 existing mystery casting class and +1 existing invocation-using class

7th|
+5|
+5|
+2|
+5|DR 3/cold iron|+1 existing mystery casting class and +1 existing invocation-using class

8th|
+6|
+6|
+2|
+6|Sustaining shadow (no need to breathe, eat, or sleep)|+1 existing mystery casting class and +1 existing invocation-using class

9th|
+6|
+6|
+3|
+6|Fiendish resilience 2|+1 existing mystery casting class and +1 existing invocation-using class

10th |
+7|
+7|
+3|
+7|DR 4/cold iron|+1 existing mystery casting class and +1 existing invocation-using class[/table]

All abilities remain the same as those described in the original base class descriptions, so I won't waste space re-writing them here. They get no additional Weapon or Armor Proficiency. Like the Child of Night, Sustaining Shadow stacks with the same ability from other sources (i.e. Warlock 3/Shadowcaster 5/Umbral Warlock 2 has the second tier of Sustaining Shadow rather than the first).

As you can see, it's really just a straightforward combination of existing abilities. I'm not sure how far I should go with some of those Eldtritch Theurge-esque combined abilities.

The actual Fiendish Resilience and DR progressions match the Eldritch Theurge directly, and the Sustaining Shadow progression matches Child of Night. I'm willing to spread those around if necessary. I'm also willing to potentially knock off the last Sustaining Shadow, since a final build that includes at least five levels of Shadowcaster would still manage the entire Sustaining Shadow progression anyway.

Oh, and if someone does want to take this in a slightly different direction, this class will make its debut in a campaign where both Shadowcasting and Warlock Invocations were created by the same god, who happens to be a patron of the race that turns out the most Umbral Warlocks. As such, I'm open to throwing a few religious-themed abilities for the purposes of that campaign. However, I'll probably keep it non-religious for more standard campaigns.

Also, if you have any ideas that sound good but has little to no relation to the ideas I mentioned above, feel free to mention it anyway. Who knows? I might decide I like that better.

Finally, if any of the above has left you confused, don't be afraid to ask. I fear I may not be sufficiently clear on the type of help I'm looking for. But then I again, I might be.

So, any thoughts?

Innis Cabal
2007-05-08, 09:05 PM
well the complete mage would help you out alot, if ya dont have, the Eldtirch Theurge is a wizard/warlock...they get blast progression and some nifty abilities to add spells to their blasts....though yours looks good, perhaps allow some sort of incorperal attack

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-05-08, 09:56 PM
I actually like this. Quite a bit, I believe I'll use it at some point.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-05-10, 01:08 PM
I actually like this.
Thanks.

So, anyone have any ideas?

One thing I just thought about that I had forgotten is that I was also interested in maintaining the Warlock's Imbue Item class feature. Unfortunately, I forgot about that. But throw that in, I'm not sure what room that leaves for more unique mystery/invocation combination abilities.

...Though I suppose a 1-level dip into Artificer could work for the character concept I have in mind. It'd kinda hurt her overall power, though.