PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Ending a spell

hymer
2015-08-22, 07:39 AM
Somehow, I've got it into my head that you can end a non-instantaneous, non-permanent spell as an action. But I can't find any support for this as a general rule. It's mentioned with a few spells, like Light, that this can be done, but this could be taken to mean that it's only possible with these spells. Am I missing it? Has it been addressed out of print?

Concentration spells can be dropped by not concentrating, which doesn't even take an action, so that's to one side.

Diarmuid
2015-08-22, 08:06 AM
In previous editions, only spells listed as "Dismissable" could be ended in the way you're describing.

ImSAMazing
2015-08-22, 09:21 AM
You can stop concentrating as a free action, is that what you mean?

Yuki Akuma
2015-08-22, 09:56 AM
D&D has always worked on the assumption that once you cast most spells, you have no more control over them. Some spells specifically let you end them - but they're the exception, not the rule.

Kryx
2015-08-22, 09:59 AM
D&D has always worked on the assumption that once you cast most spells, you have no more control over them. Some spells specifically let you end them - but they're the exception, not the rule.
Not anymore. Concentration can be ended on any spell.

pwykersotz
2015-08-22, 10:08 AM

Any spell which requires Concentration. But I don't think you can willingly end Foresight.

Yuki Akuma
2015-08-22, 10:12 AM

And most spells don't require concentration, so I see you agree with me.

Kryx
2015-08-22, 12:43 PM
And most spells don't require concentration, so I see you agree with me.
222/404 are concentration. Plus there is nothing to end on Instantaneous duration things (113 of them).

So that's 69 spells that have a duration and cannot be ended whereas 222 that can be ended. So, no, I do not agree with your ascertation that most cannot be ended.

hymer
2015-08-22, 02:25 PM
You can stop concentrating as a free action, is that what you mean?

No. As I said:

Concentration spells can be dropped by not concentrating, which doesn't even take an action, so that's to one side.:smallsmile:

Thanks everyone for your replies.