PDA

View Full Version : DM Help D&D 3.5 & Pathfinder Sound Effects & Ambient Music?

Gwazi Magnum
2015-08-22, 07:19 PM
Essentially does anyone know of some good sources of sound effects and ambient music to use during a session.
Mainly sound effects, because I've found some good ambient music but the sound effects I can find are total ****.

Vhaidara
2015-08-22, 08:09 PM
freesound.org (https://freesound.org/) is the one I used for my audio editing courses. A lot of good bases to work from, though obviously some of them are a but crude if you can't improve them yourself

Elkad
2015-08-22, 08:58 PM
This is one I don't get.

I could handle an occasional sound effect from a DM. The audio equivalent to showing us a picture.
Ambient music? Hell no. That's the slippery path to LARPing.

CGNefarious
2015-08-22, 09:01 PM
How on earth does background music during D&D lead to LARPing? If anything it reminds me more of playing a video game (though that's likely because I use video game music for my sessions).

Vhaidara
2015-08-22, 09:07 PM
Yeah, I regularly use youtube videos from Heroes of Might and Magic IV, Baldur's Gate, Fairy Tail, RWBY, and Two Steps From Hell for background during sessions. The players love it.

atomicwaffle
2015-08-22, 09:12 PM
General Rule of Thumb: Power Metal. The cheesier, the better.

Gwazi Magnum
2015-08-23, 11:14 AM
Freesound is working beautifully for sound effects, thank you so much for that link! :)

Also, in regards to ambient music I had happened to run into this (http://tabletopaudio.com/) since posting this topic and it's providing exactly what I was looking for, music that matches the setting. Though admittedly it is lacking on music to play in the middle of combat.

I already listen to bands like Two Steps from Hell, great, GREAT music!
But, it seems like the kind of music that would remind people it's a game, not music that would fit a fantasy setting well enough that you still feel like you're in a fantasy realm.

Vhaidara
2015-08-23, 11:26 AM
Well, for me, that's generally what I use for boss music. The Heroes IV music is what I use for background (mostly the overworld themes)