PDA

View Full Version : How to end immersion

Sucrose
2007-05-08, 11:42 PM
First of all, I'm sorry if this is the wrong area; it's just the best fit I could find.

Second, I'd appreciate it if nobody playing in eye of the storm read what's in the spoiler tag.

Finally,

I've recently been participating in a game of Evolution. It's pretty fun, but recently, I became very disturbed. After my character and another individual's character exchanged insults for a little while, I got a little bit ticked off personally. Not a big deal, or anything. However, just tonight, the same individual's avatar (we're playing as Immortals) was sent on a PK run against my character's avatar, who's actually doing something constructive.

For some reason, I'm actually personally very angry. It's not just a matter of thinking that my Immortal's gonna be ticked when he finds out; I'm actually feeling strong antipathy toward the character.

However, I simply cannot deal with these distractions during my finals week. I can participate in games, but I can't get too emotionally engaged; it'll throw off my study. As such, I'd appreciate any and all tips for not taking the whole thing personally.

P.S. Yes, I have already tried just telling myself that it's only a game.:smalltongue:

Jasdoif
2007-05-09, 12:14 AM
However, I simply cannot deal with these distractions during my finals week. I can participate in games, but I can't get too emotionally engaged; it'll throw off my study. As such, I'd appreciate any and all tips for not taking the whole thing personally.

P.S. Yes, I have already tried just telling myself that it's only a game.:smalltongue: My suggestion: Don't play the game, until you can get your feelings under control. The distance may help improve your general mood. If nothing else, getting too emotionally involved may cause you to play worse, and then you get mad at yourself and try to make it up, but you're more emotionally involved...it's a vicious cycle.

Remember, above all else it is a game. In almost all cases, the other person only knows you by how they see you act in the game, which itself will be colored by their emotional state at the time. And in all likelihood this is the only way you know them, as well. This isn't an attack on your personality, because they don't know what your personality actually is.

Sucrose
2007-05-09, 12:36 AM
Thank you for your advice, Jasdoif. I'll try to take a day or so off.