PDA

View Full Version : foam based creatures

Bender
2007-05-09, 01:30 AM
Are there any monsters based on foam? I had an idea for a monster that appears to be a puddle of water, suddenly the water starts to foam and the foam attacks. Or a part of the cave is filled with pulsating pink foam, which appears to be alive…

Some characteristics I had in mind:
immunity to slashing and piercing, perhaps half damage from bashing weapons.
Immunity to mindaffecting, electricity, poison, critical hits.
Unable to do physical damage, only engulfing victims (large or huge size) and poison/suffocate/confuse… Engulfing should be rather automatic since it’s hard to hold a foam that has no real structure to hold back.
Vulnerability to fire, maybe even vulnerable to all weapons after a cold effect (frozen foam might break)
Wind blows away parts of the foam and effectively damages it.
If water and air is available, it has regeneration

Does anyone know whether there are stats on a foam based monster like this, or something similar somewhere?

important note!!: I'm not asking for advice to design a monster like this, I'm just wondering whether someone might already have seen it somewhere. If it doesn't exist yet, I'll start a new thread in the homebrew section.

The_Snark
2007-05-09, 01:36 AM
Actually, it sounds like the swarm rules might work pretty well for this, with maybe a few tweaks. Immune to most mundane attacks, vulnerable to wind and area effects, the ability to envelop others and inflict damage (or whatever)... it's got a lot of what you already said.

Rockphed
2007-05-09, 01:36 AM
Sounds like some sort of swarm. They are listed on page 237 in the Monster Manual. Not quite sure if that is what you are looking for, but there might be a swarm that meets your needs somewhere else.

Grrr...Simu-ninja

Hazkali
2007-05-09, 01:40 AM
Some characteristics I had in mind:
immunity to slashing and piercing, perhaps half damage from bashing weapons.
Immunity to mindaffecting, electricity, poison, critical hits.
Unable to do physical damage, only engulfing victims (large or huge size) and poison/suffocate/confuse…

That sounds a lot like an ooze. I would either use one of the oozes from the Monster Manual or make a new one. Maybe simply saying a gelatinous cube can only do nonlethal damage with its slam attack in return for Fast Healing (2), or something like that.

Bender
2007-05-09, 03:29 AM
I had thought about oozes, but swarms is actually a great idea.
Maybe an ooze swarm comes very close, applying a makeshift swarm template on an ooze...

thanks!

Fixer
2007-05-10, 07:43 AM
There have been entries for swarming oozes. I want to say Fiend Folio had a blood ooze swarm. Not 'foamy' but a creature you can consider.

Bender
2007-05-10, 03:06 PM
There have been entries for swarming oozes. I want to say Fiend Folio had a blood ooze swarm. Not 'foamy' but a creature you can consider.

I found it: Bloodbloater
it is very much like what I had in mind, if I just change the appearance. Thanks a lot :smallbiggrin:

Black Hand
2007-05-10, 04:52 PM
Interesting Idea these foam mosters.

Perhaps you could give them all DR 5/Nerf weapons :smallbiggrin:

Actually Bludgeoning would make more sense.:smallsmile:

F.L.
2007-05-10, 04:59 PM
Actually, most foam materials have a very high degree of insulating ability, so fire and ice wouldn't penetrate foams very well. The 2 best thermal insulators available are silica aerogel, and carbon aerogel.

Meschaelene
2007-05-10, 08:46 PM
I think this is just an attempt to nerf the system...

Bender
2007-05-11, 12:56 AM
Actually, most foam materials have a very high degree of insulating ability, so fire and ice wouldn't penetrate foams very well. The 2 best thermal insulators available are silica aerogel, and carbon aerogel.

Yes, that's true, but you should be able to kill it somehow... I was more thinking towards the foam you find on beer or sometimes on the beach (Phaeocystis) (http://staff.science.uva.nl/~dcslob/lesbrieven/TomTahey/Image1.gif).
It is water based foam and can evaporate, and since there is only a very small amount of water/cubic meter, it disappears very quickly in contact with fire...

Perhaps you could give them all DR 5/Nerf weapons
What would they cost in a low technology world... :smallwink:

Jothki
2007-05-11, 06:45 AM
Surely there has to be some sort of foam-based aquatic horse thing somewhere.