PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class Domain Spell Sorcerer (ACF) (PEACH)

ericgrau
2015-08-23, 11:25 AM
I've been thinking of a category based casting system for a while but haven't had time to make up the categories. Then I realized that domains take care of this for me. This way you can have a themed sorcerer without too much redundany, and it rewards you with extra spells known in exchange for limiting yourself to your themes.

You might just call it a "Domain Sorcerer", except that name was already taken :smallfrown:.

Since many domain abilities are charisma based, I like that it gives a domain spell sorcerer an extra little nich.

Domain Spell Sorcerer ACF

A Domain Spell Sorcerer learns spells in groups rather than individually. He does not necessarily hold any special ties to a deity. Instead in a sense he has personal portfolios of his own. Often a domain spell sorcerer names himself after his domains. One with the charm and animal domains is "a Charmer and an Animalist", etc.

Domains
At first level a Domain Spell Sorcerer selects 2 Cleric domains. At 4th level and every 4 levels thereafter, a Domain Spell Sorcerer selects an additional Cleric domain. He gains the granted domain powers, and his effective cleric level for this power is equal to his Domain Spell Sorcerer level. If the domain adds cleric class skills, those skills are added as Domain Spell Sorcerer class skills instead. The domain's spells become his spells known, provided that he has the spells per day for them.

Treat the list of all domain spells as a Domain Spell Sorcerer's spell list. A Domain Spell Sorcerer may use a wand or staff of any spell found in any domain, whether he knows that domain or not.

At 6th level and every 4 levels thereafter, a Domain Spell Sorcerer may also choose to replace an old domain with a different domain.

A Domain Spell Sorcerer's spells are still arcane spells.

This ability replace the usual way that a sorcerer gains spells known and replaces spells known. The list of all domain spells replaces the usual Sorcerer/Wizard spell list for a Domain Spell Sorcerer.

Turning
If a Domain Spell Sorcerer's has a domain ability that affects undead turning, such as the Sun domain ability, then the Domain Spell Sorcerer gains the ability to turn undead as a Cleric. His effective cleric level for the turning is equal to his Domain Spell Sorcerer level.

New Feats

Extra Sorcerer Domain
A Domain Spell Sorcerer who selects this feat may choose an additional domain.

This feat may be taken multiple times. Each time the Domain Spell Sorcerer selects a different domain.

Planar Domain
A Domain Spell Sorcerer who selects this feat may exchange one of his domains for a planar domain. He must meet the usual alignment requirements. For each spell level both spells become a spell known for a Domain Spell Sorcerer.

List of Domains

This link lists all the domains and so is extremely helpful for a Domain Spell Sorcerer: http://home.comcast.net/~ftm3/ASMoNM/domains.html.

And here are the planar domains: http://home.comcast.net/~ftm3/JHtB/PlanarDomains.html

My thanks to Curmudgeon for making the lists.

nikkoli
2015-08-23, 03:45 PM
Dumb question, but spells per day, class skills, skill points, HD, BAB, and saves are like a normal sorcerer right?
And they only get the domain spells as spells known, if I'm reading right? They maintain the status as arcane casters right?

ericgrau
2015-08-23, 04:41 PM
Dumb question, but spells per day, class skills, skill points, HD, BAB, and saves are like a normal sorcerer right?
And they only get the domain spells as spells known, if I'm reading right? They maintain the status as arcane casters right?

Yeah it's an ACF, so it only replaces a sorcerer's normal spells known and you are otherwise a sorcerer.

Yes the domain spells become arcane spells for this sorcerer.

SkipSandwich
2015-08-23, 06:32 PM
I once did something similar to this, but I used the Domain Wizard domains from UA instead of the Divine Domains, with a few extra homebrew domains. Instead of Domain Powers, I gave the sorcerer the Wu Jen's Spell secret abilty (slightly slower progression, 4 spell secrets total by 20th), but each time you chose to apply the specific metamagic (still, silent, extend, enlarge) to all spells of a particular domain. I also gave my domain sorcerer a (small) selection of non-domain spells known, following the Wilder's power's known progression (11 total spells known at 20th), and that is the only thing I would add to your version here, since it allows both greater versatility in picking up those niche spells that aren't going to show up on domain lists as well as allowing sorcerers with broad concepts to further specialize in a particular theme (again, by picking up spells that don't show up on domain lists).