PDA

View Full Version : Unarmed Strike As A Natural Weapon

LordOfCain
2015-08-23, 07:19 PM
The description for Magic Fang from the d20SRD says it can affect a "slam attack, fist, bite, or other natural weapon" and the description for Magic Weapon says that "You can’t cast this spell on a natural weapon, such as an unarmed strike" Both of these spells' descriptions say that an unarmed strike is a natural weapon... So could I get Improved Natural Attack (Unarmed Strike)???

Curmudgeon
2015-08-23, 07:23 PM
Assuming you mean Improved Natural Attack: yes, you can. In fact, the Fanged Ring (Dragon Magic, page 101) grants that feat specifically (Improved Natural Attack (unarmed strike)) as part of the item's benefits.

Milo v3
2015-08-23, 11:10 PM
Do note that if you're playing Pathfinder you cannot take Improved Natural Attack (Unarmed Strike) as the feat specifically states you cannot select unarmed strike with it.

LordOfCain
2015-08-24, 02:30 PM
Anyone else have any ideas?

Darrin
2015-08-24, 03:40 PM

Unarmed Strike = Natural Attack is somewhat well-established RAW (Rules As Written) on this forum.

What are you trying to accomplish?

Milo v3
2015-08-24, 06:06 PM

What do you mean? If 3.5e then yes you can take the feat with unarmed strike, if PF then you can't. There isn't really anything else to add.

Hiro Quester
2015-08-24, 09:10 PM
The description for Magic Fang from the d20SRD says it can affect a "slam attack, fist, bite, or other natural weapon" and the description for Magic Weapon says that "You can’t cast this spell on a natural weapon, such as an unarmed strike" Both of these spells' descriptions say that an unarmed strike is a natural weapon... So could I get Improved Natural Attack (Unarmed Strike)???

Yes, it is, and you can, in 3.5.

Though a monk's belt would also achieve the same effect (unarmed strike as a monk 5levels higher, so with a larger hit die) , and possibly improve your AC at the same time, and only cost 12000gp. Save the feat.

Unless they stack, and you could do both; though it isn't clear to me that they would.

Curmudgeon
2015-08-24, 09:14 PM
Unless they stack, and you could do both; though it isn't clear to me that they would.
Of course these stack. The Monk's Belt changes your unarmed damage base (rather than applying a bonus), but has no effect on your size. Improved Natural Attack applies a virtual size increase. They're different types of benefits from different sources.