PDA

View Full Version : DM’s Screen

TheThan
2015-08-23, 10:37 PM
I just built myself a Dm’s screen and I need to fill it with handy information for whatever game I plan on running with it. system will be determined later, so just general information is good for now.

Right now I am thinking those weird combat rules nobody remembers, like grappling, bull rushing etc. but that’s about all I’ve got. Setting information is going to be handled via cloud computing accessed through a tablet so I don’t need to clutter it up with that.

Any suggestions for what sort of information I should put on my DM screen. I haven't really settled on a system yet, as I have yet to talk to my perspective players. The three most likely systems are D&D 3.5, Pathfinder and Iron Kingdoms Roleplaying game (which is really awesome btw).

Geddy2112
2015-08-23, 11:09 PM
In addition to weird and wonky combat mechanics, have your arbitrary DC's for general situations, particularly for skills that don't come up all that often. Rules for terrain, cities, overland travel and all of the out of combat mechanics are also good.

sktarq
2015-08-23, 11:32 PM
honestly the thing I wish I had most often is actual PC info -specifically things where asking them may tip the players off about something. Initiative checks, Spot/Listen checks, Stats, Those kind of things. Also this allows you to quickly compare the PCs to each other. - Who has the highest Int in a situation where your Int focused spellcaster has wandered away for example.

And while Grapple and such rules are handy to have on hand what is even better is an index list. Overland movement table? just write that the source book and page number that way a quick scan turns looking up a rule into a very quick issue and saves massive amount of space on your Screen.

dream
2015-08-24, 12:33 AM
What system? That provides the knowledge of what should be on your screen.

TheThan
2015-08-24, 10:30 PM
I keep spare copies of character sheets, and I even collect them after the session because I can’t trust my players to remember them/not lose them between sessions.

As for what system. I already addressed that. It’s going to be chosen from Pathfinder, D&D 3.5 or the Iron Kingdoms role-playing game.

Eldan
2015-08-24, 10:43 PM
I always keep a list of 20 or so NPC names, since I'm terrible at making them up on the spot.

Knaight
2015-08-25, 12:33 AM
If there's anything you're bad at improvising, having a list is good - Eldan listed people's names; I could frequently use something for ship or star-ship names; there's some advantage in just having a list of descriptive terms suitable for particular areas to get them across. Maybe you've got an area in a campaign setting that is full of river lands, and as such having a list of terms for river geography is a good idea; maybe you want a list of dungeon items; maybe the PCs are in some industrial facility and machine part lists are helpful.

Beyond that, I suggest having tables. They're just about the hardest thing to memorize, looking them up is a pain, and they're generally pretty compact. This is also a largely system independent thing, as tables have a tendency to show up even in extremely rules light games.

sktarq
2015-08-25, 02:01 AM
I keep spare copies of character sheets, and I even collect them after the session because I can’t trust my players to remember them/not lose them between sessions.
same - I still find a damn sight easier to check a homemade table for - what does the the cat-person assassin need to beat for a spot check than finding each PC sheet finding the one number and grabbing the next one. I find Spot, Listen, Search, Saves, and move speeds are the most key. Things that you most often need from the entire party at once and that come up most often in a comparative way.

also the rules on running/sprinting etc (for me). . . or whatever other rule set that you finding yourself not using and wishing you did when you read it. . . having it right in front of you helps.

Nifft
2015-08-25, 03:12 AM

I started using a wiki or other website for that -- that way the character sheets are in a place where the players can't forget to bring them, but also both the players and I can see the sheets between games.