PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Systems and Ideas for a Vehicle/Convoy Game.

EnglishKitsune
2015-08-24, 01:51 AM
Hello Playgrounders!

So I wanna run a game where the journey is the adventure itself, there's really a lot of ways this could go and I'm open to interpretations, ideas for both, and system suggestions all around! Below are the ones that I have thought of personally,

1. Mad Max style Dystopian game, players are survivors/part of a tribe fighting for the glorious Guzzleine, constantly travelling and fighting off raiders, slavers, and mutants. As big as an enemy would be the environment and the vehicles which are prone to breakdown and harsh and unforgiving.

2. Fast and Furious Style Urban Racing Gang, Set in modern world/cyberpunk/near future, the players are criminals causing havoc and crime in highly-speed, tuner cars. This would probably follow the feel of the First F&F movie, with a bigger emphasis on the crime and high speed crimes.

3. High Fantasy Convoy! The players are caravan guards part of a larger expedition heading out to unexplored lands, along the way they are faced with challenges such as bandits, broken wagons, scouting for safe routes, and trying to keep the Caravan's population alive long enough to reach the Destination, this one could focus a lot more on internal politics as required.

So, any thoughts or ideas? I know it's very open ended but I'm drawing a blank on this one. Any of them have potential, and I'm often left in awe of what you guys come up with!

Aran nu tasar
2015-08-24, 10:00 AM
Atomic Highway (http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/70124/Atomic-Highway--Post-Apocalyptic-Roleplaying) is a post-apocalyptic system that from what I can tell attempts to be Mad Max: The RPG. It is free, so it might be worth checking out. That said, I've never played it and have only casually glanced over the rules, so I have no idea how well it works in practice.

Eisenheim
2015-08-24, 10:11 AM
Fate could handle this very well. You can model the caravan, or the journey itself, as characters, and fate's good for zooming in and out to do large scale issues and small scale combat as needed.

AceOfFools
2015-08-24, 01:11 PM
So, any thoughts or ideas? I know it's very open ended but I'm drawing a blank on this one. Any of them have potential, and I'm often left in awe of what you guys come up with!

I have done some conceptual work on a short campaign I call Rebel Run. The PCs are part of a rebel network drives into an authoritarian state to pick up some of their compatriots that another group in their organization freed. They have to drive their massive Steampunk land crawl through miles and miles of enemy territory to first get in, and latter get out.

I also have a second idea that I refer to as Steampunk Firefly ( after the Joss Wed on show).

EnglishKitsune
2015-08-24, 03:16 PM
Atomic Highway (http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/70124/Atomic-Highway--Post-Apocalyptic-Roleplaying) is a post-apocalyptic system that from what I can tell attempts to be Mad Max: The RPG. It is free, so it might be worth checking out. That said, I've never played it and have only casually glanced over the rules, so I have no idea how well it works in practice.

This looks pretty cool! Free RPG systems are always worth a look. Thanks!

Fate could handle this very well. You can model the caravan, or the journey itself, as characters, and fate's good for zooming in and out to do large scale issues and small scale combat as needed.

I did consider FATE as a base, also was looking into creating a Modified AGE system game, as I think the Stunting system in that game would really work well for the cinematic feel.

I have done some conceptual work on a short campaign I call Rebel Run. The PCs are part of a rebel network drives into an authoritarian state to pick up some of their compatriots that another group in their organization freed. They have to drive their massive Steampunk land crawl through miles and miles of enemy territory to first get in, and latter get out.

I also have a second idea that I refer to as Steampunk Firefly ( after the Joss Wed on show).

This sounds awesome, any other details you could share? It also does make me consider ANOTHER campaign idea: The party are a Steampunk style Tank crew, trying to escape and evade through an enemy warzone.

These are all awesome ideas and are getting some gears ticking. Please keep sharing them!

AceOfFools
2015-08-25, 06:56 AM
This sounds awesome, any other details you could share? It also does make me consider ANOTHER campaign idea: The party are a Steampunk style Tank crew, trying to escape and evade through an enemy warzone.

These are all awesome ideas and are getting some gears ticking. Please keep sharing them!
For Rebel Run the plan was to have at least one PC either come in late as a rescued rebel, or have all players play a runner and a rescue.

Being an authoritarian dictatorship weapons are both banned and vital for success. Sneaking them in is part of the first half of the game. The other part is foreshadowing the obstacles they'll have to overcome on the way out.

For Steampunk Firefly, I was going to have the ship be a giant flying turtle. It cant fly very fast, so theyve had engines attached. The turtle ship is smart enough to speak, but not particularly intellegent. And she loves being a ship, gotta go fast.

Firefly structure requires powerful and antagonistic authority figures, ones that can crush the pcs (they have yo be avoided or taled to, not fought). It also requires that authority to be distant from places, leaving many to be on their own.

Lord Torath
2015-08-25, 08:18 AM
For the High-Fantasy convoy, have you considered Spelljammer? Now, THAT's high fantasy!

Mutazoia
2015-08-29, 10:35 AM
Hello Playgrounders!

So I wanna run a game where the journey is the adventure itself, there's really a lot of ways this could go and I'm open to interpretations, ideas for both, and system suggestions all around! Below are the ones that I have thought of personally,

1. Mad Max style Dystopian game, players are survivors/part of a tribe fighting for the glorious Guzzleine, constantly travelling and fighting off raiders, slavers, and mutants. As big as an enemy would be the environment and the vehicles which are prone to breakdown and harsh and unforgiving.

2. Fast and Furious Style Urban Racing Gang, Set in modern world/cyberpunk/near future, the players are criminals causing havoc and crime in highly-speed, tuner cars. This would probably follow the feel of the First F&F movie, with a bigger emphasis on the crime and high speed crimes.

3. High Fantasy Convoy! The players are caravan guards part of a larger expedition heading out to unexplored lands, along the way they are faced with challenges such as bandits, broken wagons, scouting for safe routes, and trying to keep the Caravan's population alive long enough to reach the Destination, this one could focus a lot more on internal politics as required.

I think what you are looking for is this... (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autoduel)