PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Debating a one-level cleric dip at some point for my Warlord. Thoughts?

AnonymousPepper
2015-08-24, 06:40 AM
I've got a spare level to kill at some point (currently armor master trench fighter 3/desperado warlord (lord of the wheel) 1, because I'm dumb and can't wait one level to get maneuvers tbh), and I'm thinking I'll grab some variety of cleric as a dip. I'd rather be dipping Paladin for smite, but because locked into NG from Lord of the Wheel tradition (Riven Hourglass, hnnnng), I sadly can't.

So what are y'alls thoughts on instead ending up some variety Ftr3/Wld16/Clr1?

It'd certainly be flavorful as hell on the char I'm running, but I'm just wondering if it would work okay mechanically.

Vhaidara
2015-08-24, 07:12 AM
Oracle might be better, since, as a warlord, your cha is probably higher than your wis. And there's several mysteries with good bonuses, even at level 1 (Lore, for example, nets all knowledges as class skills).

AnonymousPepper
2015-08-24, 07:25 AM
Oracle might be better, since, as a warlord, your cha is probably higher than your wis. And there's several mysteries with good bonuses, even at level 1 (Lore, for example, nets all knowledges as class skills).

Oracle works better in most senses, but curses don't fit well fluff or mechanics wise.

Tongues is the only one I'm seeing that's not... completely crippling. Probably.

Also, there's already an oracle, speccing as a pure healbot, not that that's a REAL issue, but I could see her getting testy about it. :smallbiggrin:

Elricaltovilla
2015-08-24, 08:09 AM
What does cleric offer that you want access to? That's really the question you should be asking. Domains are about the only thing on the cleric chassis that you'll really want, since your WIS is probably too low to really use the spells and channel energy really isn't going to do much for you.

AnonymousPepper
2015-08-24, 08:19 AM
What does cleric offer that you want access to? That's really the question you should be asking. Domains are about the only thing on the cleric chassis that you'll really want, since your WIS is probably too low to really use the spells and channel energy really isn't going to do much for you.

Domain granted powers are nice, can get a bonus feat out of it according to the dipping handbook, and it fits the character's fluff.

Would it be more worth it if I could convince the GM to let me smite instead of channel, I wonder? Only reason I'm not just immediately going pally is because NG.

Kudaku
2015-08-24, 08:57 AM
If the main issue is that you want to be a paladin but you don't want to be lawful, maybe you could use the unaligned paladin rules found in Unchained? They're at p. 100.