PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Arcane Tradition selection. Abjuration Spells?

MrUberGr
2015-08-24, 07:20 AM
I've made a wizard and 2 sessions later I haven't decided on what arcane tradition to play. I'm between abjuration and evocation, maybe illusion as well. I have quite an experience with evocation spells, however I'm not sure what abjuration spells are good. Could someone list some spells that are a good choice?

Which Arcane tradition do you think is best?

Cybren
2015-08-24, 07:30 AM
I've made a wizard and 2 sessions later I haven't decided on what arcane tradition to play. I'm between abjuration and evocation, maybe illusion as well. I have quite an experience with evocation spells, however I'm not sure what abjuration spells are good. Could someone list some spells that are a good choice?

Which Arcane tradition do you think is best?
In no particular order, these are some great abjuration spells:
Shield, Mage Armor, Counterspell, Protection from Alignment, Dispel Magic, Prismatic Wall, Banishment, Mind Blank

There's also some cool spells you won't cast often, like Glyph of Warding or Magic Circle. They have expensive components but can do cool things.

SharkForce
2015-08-24, 12:04 PM
not a huge fan of evocation. i wouldn't take it unless you have a specific focus on nuking stuff rather than doing all the other stuff that wizards do.

MaxWilson
2015-08-24, 12:15 PM
not a huge fan of evocation. i wouldn't take it unless you have a specific focus on nuking stuff rather than doing all the other stuff that wizards do.

Evokers aren't terrible. At least you can nuke mobs of mooks without hurting your buddies, and you get a slightly improved cantrip eventually--and you can do that without impairing your effectiveness at all the other stuff that wizards do, like Arcane Eye and Planar Binding.

Really, there are no terrible wizards.

SharkForce
2015-08-24, 12:56 PM
Evokers aren't terrible. At least you can nuke mobs of mooks without hurting your buddies, and you get a slightly improved cantrip eventually--and you can do that without impairing your effectiveness at all the other stuff that wizards do, like Arcane Eye and Planar Binding.

Really, there are no terrible wizards.

no, but unless nuking is going to be the main theme of your wizard, there is almost guaranteed to be a better choice available from a different type of wizard.

MadGrady
2015-08-24, 01:59 PM
Personally, I'm a huge fan of the enchantment school. I love the inital charm power. However, abjuration wizards are known to be pretty awesome as well. Will echo others by saying that there really aren't any BAD wizard choices out there. It's all about the flavor of your character, and how you envision him. Is he a fireball wielding, spell slinging, walking bomb? Go evoker. Is he a strange fellow who seems to know the answers to any question, and can even seem to predict and affect the future? Go Diviner. Is he a conjurer or cheap and/or expensive tricks? Does he value protection for himself and others? Ask yourself these questions, and the right school will make itself known.