PDA

View Full Version : "I for one welcome our new mechanical overlords." (Update)

Khoran
2007-05-09, 08:07 PM
Machine Domain
Domain Power: Clerics of all Alignments may Rebuke or Command Constructs
Possible Aletnatives/Additions Gives Knowledge: Engineering as a class skill / Gives Craft Magical Arms and Armor at 5th level
1: Repair Light Damage (Spell Compendium)
2: Make Whole
3: Repair Serious Damage (SpC)
4: Repair Critial Damage (SpC)
5: Grafting (See below)
6: Planar Ally (Machinus Creatures only) | Wall of Gears (SpC)
7: Body of War (SpC)
8: Iron Body
9: Awaken Construct (SpC)
-
(UPDATE!)
Grafting
Transmutation
Level: Machine 5
Casting Time: 10 Minutes
This spell binds a mechanical limb to a willing creature. The limb joins with the subject’s flesh and bone, making it irremovable. Aside from the loss of the touch sense in the limb, the subject takes no penalty for having a mechanical limb. Unarmed Strikes with the limb become lethal rather then non-lethal. See table for different benefits to the different limbs. This spell may not be used on constructs, Elemental, Oozes or Plants

(For use with CSc)A Mechanical limb may be given a diminutive storage space for 10gp. A mechanical arm may be given a sleeve blade at normal price or a knee blade for normal price.

Material: A Mechanical Limb valued at 1500gp.
Xp Cost: 75 XP

Mechanical Limbs
{table=head]Limb|Benefit

Single Arm|
Lifting Strength + 1 , Climb +1

Single Leg|
Lifting Strength + 1 , Jump +1

Two Arms|
Lifting Strength + 2 , Climb +2, Climb Speed +5ft

Two Legs|
Lifting Strength + 2 , Jump +2, Run Speed +5ft [/table]

Lifting Strength: Your Strength when determining Lifting and Encumbrance is treated as 1 point higher for each mechanical limb you have. If your strength bonus is still negative, instead treat your strength as a ten.

Korias
2007-05-10, 11:04 AM
Are their any gods who have this as a domain?

Maldraugedhen
2007-05-10, 01:56 PM
Of course, the Machine God.

Duke of URL
2007-05-10, 02:03 PM
Re: Grafting

Can the limb be other than an arm (mechanical legs, for example, which might grant movement speed bonuses, jumping ability, etc.)?

Can more than one artificial limb be attached to the same subject? If so, at what point does the subject gain the Construct type?

Khantalas
2007-05-10, 02:13 PM
So, does Dr. Nefarious grant this domain or is it Lawrence that is the god?

I probably got the reference wrong, but the game was funny.

ZeroNumerous
2007-05-10, 03:01 PM

Do you have to be part of the Imperium?

SITB
2007-05-10, 03:12 PM

Deus ex machina FTW!

Khoran
2007-05-10, 03:20 PM
For those asking: The Domain is going to be used in a homebrew setting I'm working on. :D

So, what do you all think of the domain spells list? Anything that would be more appropriate?

Re: Grafting

Can the limb be other than an arm (mechanical legs, for example, which might grant movement speed bonuses, jumping ability, etc.)?

Can more than one artificial limb be attached to the same subject? If so, at what point does the subject gain the Construct type?
The limb can be an arm or a leg, yes. So what do you think, keep the current benefits for arms, but give a jump bonus and running increase with the legs? Also, clarifying that is needs to be a living being or undead.

Yakk
2007-05-10, 03:23 PM
For some flavour:

Maybe allow a magical item to be included as part of the arm?

Or maybe some charges of a spell?

It should be restricted to a limb already lost: you shouldn't be able to turn yourself into a 4 armed character with this...

Khoran
2007-05-10, 03:33 PM
For some flavour:

Maybe allow a magical item to be included as part of the arm?

Or maybe some charges of a spell?

It should be restricted to a limb already lost: you shouldn't be able to turn yourself into a 4 armed character with this...
Well, I'd thought about the magic items as part of the arm or spell-storing, but then people would simply chop off their arms and cast the spell, even with the already lost limb rule.

However, I might do a full rewrite of the spell, do you think this would be a better way to approach it?

ringsnake
2007-05-10, 03:37 PM
If you wanted to go there I'd model it off of Regeneration, since the end result is somewhat similar.

Personally, I think you should go back to the drawing board on that one.

Maybe Planar Ally (a 6th level spell) but only to get creatures from Mechanicus if you're using the classic planeset.

Khoran
2007-05-10, 03:40 PM
If you wanted to go there I'd model it off of Regeneration, since the end result is somewhat similar.

Personally, I think you should go back to the drawing board on that one.

Maybe Planar Ally (a 6th level spell) but only to get creatures from Mechanicus if you're using the classic planeset.

D'oh! Planar Ally! Yeah, that's a good one. That would make it more useful then Wall of Gears. Can you think of any of the outsiders that are associated with Machinus.

But yeah, thanks for the suggestion on Grafting, I'll try to have a rewrite up by tonight.

ZeroNumerous
2007-05-10, 03:46 PM
Any of the Inevitables are mechanical outsiders.

Khoran
2007-05-10, 06:17 PM
Alright, updated Grafting a little bit. Is it good now or does it still need work?

Also, a thought, I am planning on giving this domain to two non-lawful gods. How should I deal with the Planar Ally?

paigeoliver
2007-05-11, 03:20 AM
Here is a demigod from my campaign you could use.

Bob359

Bob359 the robot hero is Lawful Good (Worshipers and clerics may be of any good alignment). He is sometimes referred to as the one with the shining forehead. Bob359 is a construct demigod who makes his home on the prime material plane. He does not have an avatar and instead roams the world in his true form. He appears as a man made from someone dull and dented chrome, although he usually wears a heavy cloak that hides most of these features. If Bob pulls back his cloak you can plainly see the number 359 stamped upon his shining forehead. Bob359 is particularly concerned with humans, halflings, elves and free willed constructs.

In common mythology Bob359 assisted many of the higher gods in their creation of various species. Bob359's core worshipers tend to be humans, particularly of the monk and barbarian character classes. He and his worshipers advocate quiet assistance and goodness in most circumstances, but will become much more active if the forces of chaos become overwhelming. Bob359 is a demigod who leads by example only, he does not seek worshipers, nor does he treat his worshipers any differently than he treats anyone else. Many of Bob359s worshipers take a vow of poverty in order to be more like their demigod, who roams the world with nothing but his cloak.

Barbarian worshipers (and clerics) of Bob359 are often chaotic good and see him as the living spirit of their ancestors. Of course much of this comes from the fact that Bob359 visits the wild barbarians lands with some regularity, and has for thousands of years, and knows more of the history and lineage of the various tribes than the tribal chiefs themselves.

The domains he is associated with are Animal, Law, Travel and Machine. His favored weapon is the gauntlet or unarmed strike.

Human Paragon 3
2007-05-11, 10:06 AM
I would base Grafting of Regenerate like stated above. A mechanical limb magically (and graphically) springs from a severed limb stub. Maybe take off

rids the subject of exhaustion and/or fatigue, and eliminates all nonlethal damage the subject has taken. It has no effect on nonliving creatures (including undead).

Or instead make it cause fatigue for 2d10 rounds to make it more of the power level of a level 5 spell.

Khoran
2007-05-11, 11:17 AM
I would base Grafting of Regenerate like stated above. A mechanical limb magically (and graphically) springs from a severed limb stub. Maybe take off

Or instead make it cause fatigue for 2d10 rounds to make it more of the power level of a level 5 spell.
I'll think about it, thought I'll (obviously) make it that you are required to have the mechanical limb for it to become attached, and that you won't just grow one out of your arm socket.

The_Snark
2007-05-11, 05:35 PM
Any of the Inevitables are mechanical outsiders.

Actually, no. They're extraplanar constructs. Lawful outsiders are tricky to find—you'll need to use formians or modrons. Personally, though, I'd just rule that the Machine domain's granted Planar Ally can summon inevitables, because they're perfect for the domain.

Hyrael
2007-05-12, 09:44 PM
Are their any gods who have this as a domain?

Of course. The Ineffable, the Father of Machines, the Lord of the Wastes,

Yawgmoth
Intermediate Diety
Portfolio: Melding of Machines and Flesh, Phyresis, Invasion and Domination
Favored Weapon: Halberd
Domains: Machine, Evil, Death, Domination, Knowledge

I hope someone out there knows what I'm talking about.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yawgmoth

http://www.phyrexia.com/continuity/Yawgmoth.shtml

Crystall_Myr
2007-05-12, 10:17 PM
I knew what you were talking about. :smallsmile:

Blue_C.
2007-05-12, 10:21 PM
I think, thematically, it would be more appropriate for the domain's power to be "Rebuke or Command Constructs," rather than "Turn or Destroy." Or if you really did mean "Turn or Rebuke" constructs, does the cleric choose which effect takes place when he uses the ability?

Khoran
2007-05-13, 07:12 AM
I think, thematically, it would be more appropriate for the domain's power to be "Rebuke or Command Constructs," rather than "Turn or Destroy." Or if you really did mean "Turn or Rebuke" constructs, does the cleric choose which effect takes place when he uses the ability?

I see, yes, good call. I'll update that in a minute. Seems to fit a bit better that Clerics of this Domain control machines regardless of their alignment.