PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other (Spell) Deadly Ground (P.E.A.C.H.)

DracoDei
2015-08-24, 11:04 AM
Deadly Ground, Lesser
Transmutation [Earth, See Text]
Level: Druid 6, Cleric 6
Components: V, S, DF
Casting Time: 1 minute
Range: Long (400 ft +40 ft/level)
Target: All inanimate, mundane nature within range of spread (penetrates all non-magical barriers)
Duration: 10 minutes per level
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: Automatically Fails to Effect any Object, Plant, etc with this.

For the purposes of damage reduction, regeneration, and striking incorporeal creatures, all unattended, non-manufactured, inanimate things* within range count as magical weapons, cold iron, and silver and gain one alignment type that you have, selected at the time of casting. This spell penetrates all non-magical barriers. It does not prevent incorporeal creatures from passing through objects, but does cause them to take damage from violent contact with those objects as if they were corporeal. Thus a ghost blasted backwards into the base of a cliff would take damage, but would then be able to retreat into that same cliff during its own turn.

This spell does not cause the materials to count as magical for any other purposes other than causing harm to creatures. For instance, it never has any effect on a druid's Woodland Stride class feature, would not prevent a fallen log from being targeted by Warp Wood (although why you would want to...?).

*All of these things are considered at the moment of contact, with thrown items still counting as "attended", but falling items (such as a boulder pushed off a cliff) not.

When this spell grants objects the ability to count as chaotic, evil, good, or lawful, it is a spell of that type.

Just something off the top of my head that I wanted to get down before I forgot it.

Not totally sure about the range, level, or the "cold iron and silver" clauses, but they should be close enough to begin discussion.

Higher level versions would have even greater range, might cause the effected materials to bar incorporeal creatures, count as magical for purposes of various spells and effects, and/or effect animals that aren't Animal Companions, let alone special mounts or familiars. Ghost Touch, two alignment types rather than one, and even maybe adamintine are all options at higher levels.

Suggestions desired.

DracoDei
2015-09-07, 03:25 PM
As usual, many views, no comments makes for a sad dwaggy. :smallfrown: / *Reptilian Puppy-Dog Eyes*

Darth Ultron
2015-09-07, 11:19 PM
This spell sounds like a good idea, but it is one of them things that is just full of mechanical problems.

First off, why is this an [Earth] spell? It does effect wood and plants right? Would it effect fire and water and ice? Would a camp fire under the effects of this spell burn a ghost? Or does fire not count as an object?

The area of effect is odd. What exactly is it? Why not make it something like 50' radius?

And when you deal with nature you can get some big objects, so is a whole object effected or just the part in the spell range?

And say you cast the spell on a hill. So that makes the dirt of the hill able to effect a ghost right? So if an air elemental did it's whirlwind on dirt effected by this spell, a ghost would be effected by that dirt, right? But the tricky part is how much dirt of the hill is effected? All of it? Just the top layer?

Would an oak club be effected by this spell also be able to be effected by other spells?

Though, most of all, how do you see ''nature'' effecting creatures in a violent way? Like cast this spell in a cave and lure a target into the cave and collapse the cave on them? Seems like a lot of work.

DracoDei
2015-09-14, 09:29 PM
Ugh... FINALLY found the brain-power to respond to this and then the forum ate my response due to my having left the tab open so long that not only did it not post, but auto-save was of no help.

Short version: You make some good points about stuff I need to change, but there are also a lot of things where apparently I just need to clarify* since you apparently didn't get what I was saying.

*Clarifying is VERY hard for me... will need help when I can find the energy to re-explain what I meant in a longer form like I had in the post that got lost.

Hanuman
2015-09-15, 04:18 PM
No area.

The point is, why would anyone want this?
It takes 1 minute to cast and lasts for a few hours and creates weapons. At 12th level you could just have a bag of holding or handy haversack and dump it, hell, a handy haversack costs about as much as a 6th level scroll anyway.